What's new

All 7 seasons of Star Trek Voyager--$328.86 at Amazon (1 Viewer)

Wade K

Second Unit
Amazon currently has the box of all seasons of Voyager (mis?)priced at $328.86. There is also a $25 rebate that brings the cost down to about $304. The similar sets of Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are still running at about $550 and $635 respectively.

Voyager may not be the best Trek, but at this price is worth consideration.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Great price...I bought my set from them in January for $450 ish....too bad they dont price match for more than 30 days...oh well.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Well ... I'm done with Voyager. I ended up purchasing all 7 seasons "used" for between $39.95 - $49.95/season at my local GameStop store. (I placed the word "used" in quotes here only due to the fact that all the packages had been opened prior to sale. None of them had actually ever been viewed. And this was confirmed by the GameStop manager.) Granted, that's about the same price that Amazon is now charging, but I also got all the "Bonus DVD's" included at that price as well. I really thought all along that Paramount should have placed the price of this series at *no more* than $69.95/season. The series is decent, but it's no Next Generation or DS9.

In any event, my local GameStop (formerly Babbages,) still has a good selection of all the Star Trek: Voyager season boxes at the $39.95 - $49.95 price range. (Seasons 1-3 sell for $39.95 and Seasons 4-7 sell for $49.95. Again, they're listed as "used", but really aren't.)

Just FYI ...

Andrew_

Auditioning
Ordered!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the $25 rebate form come with the DVDs, or is it something I have to download online?

Frank@N

Screenwriter

WOW, I'm a GameStop regular in Chicago and I've never seen a single ST boxset used...ever.

Much less -all- seven seasons...

But I did get some good Voyager deals elsewhere:

- Used S1 cheap on Ebay.

- Blockbuster screw-up that had S2 for $28 on preorder.

- A local mom & pop store that had 'buy 1, get 1 half off' (averaging $60 per season, new).

As for DS9 and STTNG, I got all my sets used at Coconuts/FYE for $59 (before they raised their prices).

Also, I have yet to recieve any season rebate on any ST series, apparently because the prices were too good (used or half off).

Unless you pay $120 per season, they don't want to give you a rebate...

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Hmmmm...that's really seems strange.

At first I though you meant some hard luck case traded-in his set + bonus discs and you were in the right place at the right time.

But what you're describing sounds like an overstock sell-though from BestBuy to GameStop.

As a GS regular, I've seen this and taken advantage of it many times (new items sold as 'used' due to poor sales or a new version being released).

I've never seen this done for ST products (except for old 1-disc movie releases).

You are a lucky man, well done!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Thanks! I must admit that I was *shocked* as well to find these boxes just sitting there in their "Used DVD" section. And I was *doubly shocked* at the prices they were asking. Keep in mind that the GameStop store is in the same shopping mall as our local Suncoast, which, even now, is still asking $139.95/Season for Voyager! :D

Of course, now that Amazon is selling the entire series for virtually the same price, it's apparent that GameStop is just charging the current market value!

(By the way, I stopped by there on Friday and they *still* have Voyager season boxes on display.)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I hope after Enterprise is done on DVD we will see some price reductions on all the Trek shows. I only have the first 2 seasons of TNG, as i couldnt justify the $100 per set on release day.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Since the price you want can be had in the used market (with some luck & elbow grease), you might want to go that route.

As I understand it, most TV shows won't be re-done in HD due to video-based source materials (TOS being the exception).

Although Enterprise was broadcast in HD, I believe that was just an upconversion.

Anyway, if these set aren't reissued then the MSRP probably won't be dropped...

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Whenever I need a good laugh, I goto Coconuts/FYE/Suncoast and look at the prices on new sets.

They still have Bond boxsets for $125. That's $20 per movie!

And if you trade the boxset in at GameStop you'd only get ~$30.

My goal is only pay 2x the trade value, anything else is a ripoff.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I think a lot depends on the content of the DVD in question.

For example, I paid $89.95/season for Star Trek: DS9, and still felt as though I got an excellent return for my entertainment dollar with that series.

IMO, Star Trek: Voyager was just too wildly inconsistent in quality to warrant Paramount's current asking price. The show, on average, would have a tremendous episode followed by three poor-to-mediocre eps. It was just very sad. Even now, episodes like "Scorpion", "Message in a Bottle, "Living Witness", "Distant Origins", "Drone", and "One Small Step ..." represent some of the best Star Trek ever produced. But over the course of 7 seasons, there should have been many more episodes that approached the quality of those shows, and they just didn't materialize. What a wasted opportunity!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Joseph, don't forget third season's "Remember" (the best Voyager female-centric eppy im seven years), the incredible pilot "Caretaker" and the re-introduction of the Borg in "Unity". I agree, tho. More above average to excellent shows and fewer "ugh" and I would have picked up the Voyager sets as well.

If I find them cheap (and I mean REALLY cheap), I might.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I really liked the 'evil Kess' ep where she got possessed.

Think she started coming on to women, pretty cool stuff.

Surprised when they said in the extras that she had been replaced by producers.

I always assumed that she wanted to leave after 3 years...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Frank, long story short is that it was either Jennifer Lien or Garrett Wang on the chopping block at the end of S3. Wang was going to go until he was voted one of People Magazine's Sexiest Men (or whatever). Lien was voted off to make way for Jeri Ryan in S4. The claim was that Kes' story had run out of juice.

IMHO, if someone had actually bothered to think about Voyager scripts, they could have come up with wonderful stuff for the character.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Actor just spout the dialog they're given, so how could the producers complain the character wasn't going anywhere?

If so, then they made a mistake when they created the character.

Half the crew of 'Enterprise' is a waste of space, but then that show got canceled.

Andrew_

Auditioning
Weird. A few days after they delayed it, it shipped out. I received it Tuesday. Whoohoo! One of the little hubs that holds the DVDs was broken (first disc on S7), but I can live with that.

Users who are viewing this thread