Alien vs. predator (from the digital bits)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by AndrewWickliffe, Sep 21, 2004.

1. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

poor pt anderson...

What's the next excuse going to be?

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

pta of RE fame sucks but I found this movie to be cream chesse and enjoyed it for the crap that it was.

3. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Please... Obviously Fox is releasing a single disc in January, with minimal extras and a DTS track. Then a 2 disc R rated Director's Cut a few months later. Stop the madness!

4. Scott*E

Scott*E Stunt Coordinator

You mean Paul W.S. Anderson. :wink:

5. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

Paul W.S. Anderson said the same thing about RE, I wouldn't hold my breath for a release of AvP. It's even been reported that most of the stuff from the script was filmed and in the movie. But alas he marrying the Alice from RE, he got be doing something right [​IMG]

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I would buy the directors cut, but not the theatrical edition.

7. Ben_@

Ben_@ Stunt Coordinator

I second that!

8. AndrewWickliffe

Ah, yes, you're correct.

I do mean PWS Anderson.

Now, really, poor PT Anderson, I'm sure he wouldn't be happy to be mistaken for the auteur behind 'Mortal Kombat.'

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

What I don't understand is what is the hatred for Paul WS Anderson? EVENT HORIZON was quite good. One of the biggest surprises in recent years. RESIDENT EVIL was a lot of fun as well. SOLDIER wasn't awful. SHOPPING was good. (I didn't see MORTAL or AVP or his British TV film that got some good reviews).

It seems Harry Knowles has a personal problem with him so he bashes him a lot, and a lot of his AICN followers are convinced he is one of the worst out there, but when you actually look at his filmography, he is one of the better multiplex filmmakers.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I don't understand why this always happens. The director always talks about releasing a "director's cut" with lots of "extra footage" that was "cut from the theatrical release." Then later, the studio says "there was not really any footage cut, nothing extra exists."

Is it really so hard to be on the same page? Either it exists or it doesn't. Why does one side feel the need to lie about it? But it seems to happen on a regular basis.

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'll pick up the dvd. After all, I saved $20+ not seeing it in the theater so to drop $15 or so on the dvd is no big deal. It looks fun.

12. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Supporting Actor

Simple, studios want to forego the usual Internet consumer demand for an alternate version release!

13. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I for one enjoyed AvP and will buy it when released however I'd be mighty pissed if there was a DC of the film released later. FOX needs to be more upfront on multiple releases (like Columbia.....wait, did I just compliment that studio???)

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Ron-P,did u move?

15. AndrewWickliffe

That AICN's Harry Knowles doesn't like Anderson tends to be a plus for the fellow....

However, I thought 'Soldier' was a wasted oppourtunity for a good film (though I didn't have a problem with all of Anderson's direction) and 'kombat' was not as bad as 'Street Fighter.'

My problem with Anderson is these director's cuts of his--I never saw 'Event Horizon,' waiting for the director's cut . . . which hasn't appeared and some say doesn't exist. I didn't see 'AVP' for the same reason, except everyone but Anderson is saying no extra footage exists...

I suppose I'll rent AVP when it comes out...

16. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I wouldn't waste time waiting for a DC of this...there's no extra footage to be re-inserted. Anderson pretty much filmed his script exactly as he wrote it. I don't know WHY he started talking all that "Fox chopped up my movie" stuff, but it's unfair of him to a) place the blame on the studio for his sanitized vision of Alien vs Predator b) lead the fans to believe that the REAL version of the movie is sitting around waiting to be reassembled somewhere.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    No, why do you ask?

18. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    This was one of the biggest disappointments this year for me. A rental, maybe, as a director's cut. But a purchase? Of the crap I watched in the theater? No thanks.

19. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

RELEASE DATE SUPPOSEDLY JAN 11TH

20. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

For those of you who haven't seen the movie, I HIGHLY recommend renting it instead of making a blind buy. That even goes for Alien and/or Predator fans, as there is not much in the movie that you will like, since it pretty much tosses the mythology of both characters out the window. And even for general audiences, I honestly think there's a really, really good chance that you won't like it. Personally, the only way I'll ever watch this again is if a director's cut is released, but even then I'll rent, not buy.
    Another good reason to not buy? It's FOX, and there will be inevitably be a Special Edition down the road (ala Club Dread, Man on Fire, I,Robot).