Alien vs. Predator 2 in the works

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kami, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    That sounds awful. really. terrible premise.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I like that image, Predator looks very much like the Pred in Predator 2, but yes that premise sounds like it lacks courage and scope to say the least.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Maybe but it can't really be any worse than the first Alien Vs. Predator. [​IMG]

EDIT: I will say that despite the premise, I'll blindly hope for the best since it's R rated (at least if it sucks, there will be some decent gore) and I'd like to see the lovely and talented Reiko Aylesworth in something good other than 24.

4. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Sounds like it can be made on the cheap, like TV movie cheap.
    Hey, maybe we can get a bad TV series out of this? FOX can call me if they need help. [​IMG]

5. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I understand that they want to make this on the cheap but you would think stuff like "Sin City" and "Sky Captain" would convince them that making virtual versions of appropriate settings such as an alien planet or spaceship can be as cheap as filming in some town.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    This franchise seems like the kind where the Sci Fi Channel will start doing cheap sequels a couple of years from now lol.

7. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I can't believe that I'm going to say this but that looked pretty cool.

9. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I see why you stressed the "R" rating of the trailer. [​IMG] If the movie turns out like this trailer, this may make up for the last movie for me.

10. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Requiem Impalement Op II in B minor

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Jeez, there's more gore in the trailer than in the entire first AvP movie. While it looked interesting it makes me think they're just throwing gore up against a wall hoping something will stick.

12. Bill GrandPre

It's still written by Shane Salerno (the worst screenwriter in Hollywood) so even if they go nuts with the gore it's still probably gonna be better than "AvP" but worse than all the other movies at best.

13. Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley Second Unit

I will say that the woodsy atmosphere in the trailer looks great, almost as forboding as the jungle in Predator.

14. Bill GrandPre

The setting isn't really incongruous with the "Predator" films but it's still all wrong for an "Alien" film.

15. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I don't understand why this film needs to be set on Earth at all, I know that i'd love to see a full-scale war between the two species on some other world or even one of their ship's.

These films aren't being creative enough with regards to the environment.

16. Bill GrandPre

It's not a matter of creativity.

It comes down to something that can be represented by a single symbol:

$

It's cheaper to film in Vancouver or Prague than to build a bunch of expensive sets. The previous film had some sets but a good chunk of it took place in real-world environments (the boat, the outdoors, the abandoned town, etc.) whereas going the sci-fi route requires you to build sets for pretty much everywhere a scene could take place.

Recent movies like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" and "Sin City" prove that doing such visuals can be done relatively cheaply by doing virtual sets via bluescreen and greenscreen but I suspect that hack producer John Davis isn't interested in that because it's somewhat unproven and ambitious and crapping something out in Prague or Vancouver is just less of a headache.

But yeah, as long as Shane Salerno is writing this and John Davis is producing it you can expect another crappy movie. This R-rated trailer is like a desperate attempt by Fox to say "we're sorry we skimped on the gore last time, so here's lots!" but gore shouldn't make or break a movie. Ideally "AvP" should be rated R but I do think it could work as a PG-13 if it was really well written and directed and similarly I know better than to think a hard R is gonna save a crappy script.

17. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    Oh boy, I just watched the trailer and I've got a bad feeling about this movie. [​IMG]

I appears the script may have been written on a napkin after a brief meeting of the newest brain-trust at a cheap hamburger joint. "You know that movie Critters? We could just kind of replace the "Critters" with lots of Predators and Aliens, then call in the Army and everyone can shoot it out."

I agree with the Inspector:
    No need for this to take place on Earth what so ever. Cheap sci-fi sets can be found all over the desert; I don't think they paid much for the sets on Pitch Black.

It really is all about the two fighting each other. The basic premise is so very cool; the ultimate hunter versus the ultimate prey. I was disappointed with AvP for the lack thereof. Five minutes of the two fighting each other just didn't fulfill the promise of the movie's title. That being said I did enjoy AvP for what it was. I guess having never read any of the aforementioned comic books, my puerile enjoyment must have come from not having any knowledge of what it wasn't.

Now the sequel appears to have several battles between the two, but now it appears the writing, talent and production values have fallen off the scope.

P.S.

Steve Christou

You sir, are having entirely too much fun here. You will remove yourself immediately and shall not return hereto without first obtaining a shrubbery.

18. Bill GrandPre

Yeah, but "Pitch Black" took place largely outdoors with in a pretty standard-looking desert setting. After all the elaborate designs seen in the "Alien" and "Predator" movies (like the stuff Giger did in "Alien", the interior of the ship in "Predator 2" etc.) you really can't just finally give people the homeworld of either one and try to cheap out and tell them its just a big desert.

It would certainly take a director with a lot of vision and an amazing production designer but the tools are there to do it economically but Davis seems to want it cheap, fast and easy.

But hey, the guy has arguably made nothing but awful movies for 20 years (with his last overwhelmingly-liked movie being the original "Predator") so obviously he's found his niche by making movies like "Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties" and "Daddy Day Care".

19. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

i am not a horror movie or a gore fan. however, predator and alien(s) have always been special properties for me.

i saw the trailer and i see hope. i think this has promise. i didn't think avp was the best movie ever, but it definitely wasn't the worst either. based on the trailer this new one (minus the creative sets) seems on par with the previous properties.

something additional that stuns me is the fact that they are going to really release this on christmas. wow. i actually think that this bodes well as far as releases go. i can't think of a terrible movie that was actuallly released on christmas.

optimism is key here and i am no organic optimist.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That's more of a marketing move than anything else. Every other studio will putting out their Oscar hopefuls at that time and 20th Century Fox will be aiming at the 18 to 34 male market that won't have many movies to see.

That being said, the movie looks like it could be good. Hell, if there's one thing that's good in the movie, it'll be better than the first one.