What's new

Alien vs. Predator 2 in the works (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member

Some people need to get a life. Very hard to believe an average, mildly entertaining movie like this could cause such extreme statements and actions. :rolleyes

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
AVP is a horrible, horrible movie, though the scene with the Predator and lead girl running together did give me one of the biggest laughs I've ever had in a theater. I'm a huge fan of both Alien3 and Predator 2, both being my personal favorites of their respective series. I like Alien Resurrection quite a bit as well. In fact, until AVP came along, there wasn't a film in either series that I disliked. I wouldn't hesitate to say it's one of the worst films I've ever seen, and it disappoints me to no end that they opted to do this nonsense over a possible Alien 5.

I'm definitely not excited for a sequel, but the only place the quality can go from here is up.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Bill,
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but as with the Family Guy thread, your on-going crusade against AVP is akin to quick sand, the harder you struggle the deeper you sink.

The one's who hate the movie will still hate it and the one's who enjoyed it will still enjoy it after this thread is a distant memory, you aren't going to convince anyone who likes it to change their mind, so why try?

Kain_C

Screenwriter

And some people just don't understand.

It's very obvious where the well-deserved hatred is coming from. This was THE Holy Grail of 'versus' movies and Paul W(ithout) S(kill) Anderson really just ruined it. People were beyond disappointed; they were and are justifiably angry. You can tell them to get a life if you want to, but some people are passionate about movies. I am. I so wanted a good Alien and Predator movie. AvP was not anywhere close.

I mean with all of the material out there, why did he choose to write his own? His script is nothing more than one endless string of cliches and uninspired, boring action sequences. There was plenty of good material out there to go with.

And don't you think this movie should have been above being "average" and "mildly entertaining"? Alien 1 and 2 and Predator were certainly better than that.

I don't know much about AvP 2, but hopefully they'll avoid using anyone from the first one -- especially Anderson -- and get a whole new creative force. Why Fox went with someone like Anderson in the first place is baffling. The guy has a terrible resume and shows he can't adapt material for s***.

Let's simply adapt one of the existing stories or commission a true writer; preferably one who has worked on an Alien and/or Predator title.

They should also avoid calling it AvP 2, although I doubt the marketing guys can resist whipping up something 'clever' for the acronym. They should just use a subtitle instead of a numeral to seperate it as best as can from the first one, as if the first one doesn't even exist.

I like how Tom Rothman automatically assumes the second one will "kick ass" although not only hasn't he read the script, he seemed unsure of it's status. Between this and the X3 fiasco, looks like they have some real geniuses at Fox.

Well, I think that's my definitive post. :D

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Given that it did $80 million alone at the box office in just the US, and $171 Million world wide (according to IMDB) plus numerous DVD releases for purchase and the huge rental market, I would say an enormous amount of people.

Which is probably why they are starting to have discussions about a second one.

Andy

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I feel your pain, Kain, there have been many films that I had high expectations for that came up short, so I know what that's like.

I enjoyed this film, but I can easily see how those with high expectations felt really let down because I do agree that it wasn't as great as it could have been.

The only comfort I can offer is that given the first one's negative press and reception from fans on discussion boards such as this one, it should get those at FOX rethinking things and give them incentive to go in another direction for the sequel and take this opprotunity to right what they got wrong the first time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I hear Uwe Boll is available. :D

EDIT: Damn, just saw Andres beat me to the punchline on the last page. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Clicked in to see if there was any news of value, and I see an epic struggle over the first film.

Speaking as someone who:

- cites Aliens as one of his top three favorite films
- someone who finds something of value in Alien3 and Alien Resurrection (though limited)
- and Predator 2
- bought the original Aliens, Predator, and Aliens vs. Predator comic series (Norwood art!) from Dark Horse
- is a definite fanboy...

I never even saw this film. Never had strong feelings one way or the other. I imagine I'd find it pretty miserable, because nothing I enjoy in either series is present in AvP, but I appreciate that some people like it as dumb fun. It's hardly the cinematic abomination Batman and Robin is, and I say that securely without seeing it. If Fox wants to dump money in a sequel, I expect they'll use the formula of the first AvP. I'll skip it as well. Hardly worth getting worked up over.

Bring on the sequel for the fans of the first. Heck, add some REAL talent and make a worthwhile film, and I'll go.

Either way, who cares?

John, consider yourself lucky. Google him, and stand by.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
John, Uwe Boll is Ed Wood re-incarnated. :D

He's taken some very good video games and made some pretty bad movies based on them. And the amazing thing is, studios keep financing his projects, lol.

If you want a good laugh, rent HOUSE OF THE DEAD. If you want to be disappointed, rent ALONE IN THE DARK. I haven't seen BLOODRAYNE yet but judging by the trailers...well...I might end up renting it anyway if only to play a drinking game with it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Give it a rent Chuck. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Plus a certain Kingly director gave his Titanic stamp of approval so you never know.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks