What's new

Alien trilogy coming to blu-ray?!... (1 Viewer)

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
During the isolated scores, there's a track marker. Does that match back to the expanded CD releases of the scores or something?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to figure out how to access the Easter Eggs on the 6th Disc. I'm probably missing something pretty obvious here, but can anyone tell me where they're tucked in? I figure if anyone would know this, it would be Charles.

BTW - I really liked the inclusion of the ALIENS Inquest dossiers complete with sound effects. That, and the two video graphics galleries make for really fun screensavers. Nice stuff.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
The Easter Eggs are all on Disc 6, in their appropriate film section. Ash's Lifecycle Report/Nostromo Manifest under Alien, A Boy And His Power Loader under Aliens, etc. Beyond that, you're on your own for now. They're really not that difficult to find if you're methodical about it. One more hint: They're all to the right of their selection anchor.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the update, although I could've done without the isolated score index being as obtuse to find as any easter egg, Still, someone pointed it out to me so I'm alright Jack.

My congratulations on producing yet another stellar set, Charlie.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thank you for the hint. Immediately led me to the proper headings.

This is a really fun set - I'm glad to have it. It's completely taken the place of the Quadrilogy in my collection.

I'm still hanging onto the 1999 DVD - just for the production audio track now.

You now have me very curious what you'll do with the ALIEN prequel Blu - almost as curious as I am about how Ridley Scott will make it.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
Yes I am keeping the 1999 dvd for the very same reasons.

For bonus points, listen to the 1999 DVD's french and spanish tracks. They actually use different sound effects from time to time like the unhooking of the umbilical.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdvision

I don't think Landau is far off -- there is definetely a balance to strike between art and commerce to make successful movies, if Landau think Vincent Ward didn't have the handle, it's probably true.

Think about it, all mass success films that last in time are striking that balance... the fun is, with time, we forget whatever genre they borrowed from (say, Terminator is really Halloween with a robot in place of the supernatural killer), and see more and more the arty things in them, the subtext etc

But you can't, and that what I think Landau means, make a successful movie if art take over the commercial elements.

My definition is simple : art in movies does not exist, as soon as a movie is produced to sell tickets, it cannot be 100% art anymore.

Successful directors strike a balance.

Having seen this new footage in the restored documentary, I have to agree with Landau, to a certain extent -- after all, the guy DOES work with Jim Cameron on a regular, day-to-day basis. Which means he probably has a fairly decent notion of how to properly balance artistic impulses with purely commercial instincts.

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
Looks like Jean Pierre Jaunet isn't pleased with the Resurrection transfer...

"As for the "Alien Anthology" bluray box set, the adds says: "In bluray, everyone can hear you scream."
Damn straight they can! A cry of rage! Contrary to what Fox have said here and there, the filmmakers haven't been involved in the restoration process, at least I haven't. From what've I heard, Fox have been working on this thing for two years . It seems that Americans have never heard of something called denoising. Let's just say that the bluray looks like an average DVD."

Translated from: http://www.jpjeunet-siteofficiel.com/blog/?p=321

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
There's more on the issue of degraining and where Jeunet stands on the issue in that article:

"On Delicatessen, we “degrained”, i.e. removed almost all of the grain on the majority of the sequences. There's still a bit left in some sequences which have been filmed with 400 ASA and which would have become abnormally soft if the degraining process had been pushed further."

Originally Posted by robbbb1138

My reaction to Jeunet's comments depends on what he means by "de-noising"...

I would have to agree... I find it hard to believe he's so upset about not being allowed to degrain or denoise a film that he allowed Darius Khondji to ENR back in 1997. Maybe there's something being lost in translation?

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I don't think so -- the bottom of this is probably that he is pissed he wasn't given the royal treatment like Scott and Cameron did (Fincher doesn't count because he doesn't care about the movie and do not want to get involved). But one has to realise that to remaster Alien Res., would have mean to go back to the negative, and digitally restore the ENR (bleach bypass) look to achieve the same look as the current master, only with improved resolution (the current master is probably transfered from an IP, or other source with the ENR work already done on it), at a cost.

As one can see how massive the Box set is, and the budget for it not being unlimited, something probably had to give. Would 100% of the people who bought this set be happier to see AR remastered from scratch in it ? I think that would be at the bottom of anyone buying this set list (I myself just watched like 5mn of the film to sample the PQ, and will never play it in full again. For the record, I think A very Long Engagement is a masterpiece, and would rather throw that in the player instead).

People complaining (other than Jeunet) are just thinking in absolutes. My guess is that if money was spent to remaster AR, it wouldn't change a thing (apart probably for the director), and it would still be sitting on the shelf, never watched ever again, by 97% of the people who bought this set.

In fact I suggested a while back, the idea that this film be included with the AVP films in box sets, rather than this one. That would actually enhance the value of any AVP set, and the movie feel more at home with the cross-over franchise, than with the original trilogy.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by dvdvision

I don't think so -- the bottom of this is probably that he is pissed he wasn't given the royal treatment like Scott and Cameron did (Fincher doesn't count because he doesn't care about the movie and do not want to get involved). But one has to realise that to remaster Alien Res., would have mean to go back to the negative, and digitally restore the ENR (bleach bypass) look to achieve the same look as the current master, only with improved resolution (the current master is probably transfered from an IP, or other source with the ENR work already done on it), at a cost.

As one can see how massive the Box set is, and the budget for it not being unlimited, something probably had to give. Would 100% of the people who bought this set be happier to see AR remastered from scratch in it ? I think that would be at the bottom of anyone buying this set list (I myself just watched like 5mn of the film to sample the PQ, and will never play it in full again. For the record, I think A very Long Engagement is a masterpiece, and would rather throw that in the player instead).

People complaining (other than Jeunet) are just thinking in absolutes. My guess is that if money was spent to remaster AR, it wouldn't change a thing (apart probably for the director), and it would still be sitting on the shelf, never watched ever again, by 97% of the people who bought this set.

In fact I suggested a while back, the idea that this film be included with the AVP films in box sets, rather than this one. That would actually enhance the value of any AVP set, and the movie feel more at home with the cross-over franchise, than with the original trilogy.

Something had to give? I would think that the quality of the movies would be the first priority. Since most of the extras are taken from the Quadrilogy box set, there can't be a huge cost involved there. The isolated scores might take a bite out of the budget, but I don't believe Fox couldn't have done remasters for the third and fourth movies. What makes it even stranger is that they did do some ADR for Alien3's Extended Cut. So they did update the audio, but not the video.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
For Alien 3, the work to redo the video would probably be massive due to all the scattered pieces of film they would have to scan again (as no print exist for the SE).

I think for AR, there's also the problem of the resolution of the added SFX, which could mean even more money to invest. I'm sure Mr de Lauzirika knows the ins and outs of this, and that the reason those two didn't get a total upgrade is money and time related. (remember, with majors, you don't get the greenlight, and when you get it, you are already behind schedule).

hdjim

Grip
Real Name
Joe Mama

This is a pretty self-centered view. Obviously, most people view it as the least of the films, but it does get decent rewatch value by most fans. I think Fox was too cheap on this set. The quality should've been consistent, or at least each film should've received a new scan. I'm glad about the amount of work that went into the set, including the fixing of the audio on Alien 3, but the bean counters at Fox I think deserve to be criticized for refusing to give it a bit more budget to make sure the set was perfect and not flawed like it is with Alien 3 and AR's picture quality. All the films should have been preserved in archival quality. I'm not really convinced they wouldn't have made their money back.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by J-Syxx

This is a pretty self-centered view. Obviously, most people view it as the least of the films, but it does get decent rewatch value by most fans. I think Fox was too cheap on this set. The quality should've been consistent, or at least each film should've received a new scan. I'm glad about the amount of work that went into the set, including the fixing of the audio on Alien 3, but the bean counters at Fox I think deserve to be criticized for refusing to give it a bit more budget to make sure the set was perfect and not flawed like it is with Alien 3 and AR's picture quality. All the films should have been preserved in archival quality. I'm not really convinced they wouldn't have made their money back.

I agree with your view, they should have spent the money on Alien 3 and Resurrection and made them as good as they could be, i would not have liked to have seen Jeunet de-graining Alien Resurrection though, the guy seems to be re-visiting his past works and actually spoiling the original look because he thinks grain is evil.

I took some screencaps of Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection for my site, since we are talking about Alien Resurrection i'll put a link to the caps here.

http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_reviews/2010/11/24/blu-ray-screencaps-alien-resurrection/

Now tell me that Jeunet is right, tell me the quality is only as good as a dvd edition, i think not, the quality is better than dvd, much better when viewed on a large screen but obviously it could be better still, i firmly believe Alien Resurrection could have been the best looking film in the anthology release if they had treated it to a new master, i also believe Alien 3 is the worst looking and has had degraining and filtering applied to the original master they are using, it's easy to see on a large projection system and when viewing on a computer but not every scene seems to have had it applied and i felt the workprint scenes seemed slightly better to my eyes, maybe i'm seeing things although i doubt it.

hdjim

Grip
Real Name
Joe Mama
He probalby does have a point. Some suspect the film's master on the set pre-dates the Quadrilogy, which is kind of sad. It does look pretty soft imo. The logic is probalby that it doesn't need one because it's a newer film, but that's just silly. If you don't scan something at the right resolution, it will not have that detail, regardless of age.

I also think the intent of the director's comments probalby didn't come across great in translation. I would think he would have reason to be annoyed though, the film doesn't have the right color corrections to match the film prints due to them not wanting to spend the budget on that (since I guess it would be more involved than a regular film due to the process used), which is a pretty big part of "director's intent."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks