What's new

Alien 5 by James Cameron! (1 Viewer)

D

DAN NEIR

I also had a problem w/ Sigourney agreeing to be in that crap for the money, I've always been highly impressed by Jodie Foster who refused to be in Hannibal after she read what they did to her character.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
He could avoid 3 & 4 by not putting Ripley in it. Just have a marines story. I liked Sigourney a lot in 1 & 2, but she was in all 4, time to leave her dead or cloned or whatever.

John Doran

Screenwriter
i'm telling you: Aliens vs. Jack Dawson - Love Conquers All.

or maybe cameron could just do aliens 2 all over again with new special-effects - that way no one would have to be challenged by new ideas. i see how that sort of thing really annoys some of you.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
They may become an 'evolutionary dead end' in the Alien series depending upon what approach Cameron takes, but they will still exist for the fans to enjoy.
Even though I think Alien 3 and 4 suck balls, I agree with this :) It's all just fiction after all, and Cameron should feel free to do what he likes as long as Fox is interested in letting him do his thing. It's not like the world will be a lesser place if the third and fourth Alien movies are suddenly considered "out of continuity" :)

D

DAN NEIR

Must be why you like Alien 3. :D

I really hope that whatever they decide to do that they're able to resurrect this francise from the dead, it deserves better than Alien 3 and 4.

John Doran

Screenwriter
actually, i used to like alien 3 - once i discovered that the majority of movie-goers didn't like it, i changed my mind because the only thing i hate more than new ideas is having to think for myself.

:D

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

"Challenged" by Alien3?!

I agree with all right-thinking people :D :Ignore the 3rd and 4th movies.

John Doran

Screenwriter
"Challenged" by Alien3?!
yeah. i guess you're right.

i wasn't challenged by citizen kane or when i read "war and peace", either; they were just dumb and boring. what's the point of thinking about stuff, anyway? if something doesn't appeal to me, then it's stupid. period.

i guess if a point isn't immediately obvious in a book or movie, then there is no point.

if only i'd known sooner...

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Personally, I'd like to see Cameron give us something fresh and just plain leave Ripley behind. Move on to something new, maybe based on the marines like somebody above mentioned.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

You seem to think that because we didn't like Alien3 it must have gone over our heads. Tis not the case. We, or I should say I, just didn't like the direction they chose to take the story in. Attempting to paint others who don't share your opinion as not willing to "think about stuff" is ridiculous.

There's not one thing about Alien3 I would want them to retain in continuing the series. The film was a terrible excuse for a sequel. IMHO, of course.

John Doran

Screenwriter
oh, jim....dan's much more fun to engage.

anyway, what you said was:

"Challenged" by Alien3?!
the implication of which being, of course, that alien 3 is not challenging.

i was merely (and sarcastically) suggesting that you probably didn't find it challenging because you didn't resist your natural disaffection for the movie and actually examine the plot more closely.

that's why i used the examples i did - citizen kane and "war and peace" are, to me, boring and totally unengaging; i am, in fact, not at all challenged by them, at least initially, but they are not therefore unchallenging in and of themselves. if i take the time to swallow my boredom and detachment from them both, i can recognize interesting themes woven throughout each of them.

and i certainly don't mean to suggest that the movie went over your head - only that you probably didn't bother trying to work at watching the movie, since expending that sort of effort with regard to a movie you don't actually like is unusual.

in fact, quite to the contrary, i actually assumed that if you had worked at it, you wouldn't have been so dismissive of the movie('s themes).

John Doran

Screenwriter
Making blanket sarcastic statements the way you have and generalizing everyone who dislikes Alien³ as being unable to quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
think for myself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is insulting.
yikes. you should go back and read mine and dan's exchange again (that's what i was doing, by the way - having an exchange with dan...).

see the smiley faces? see how we totally disagree about the movie, but how we can still have fun with it? he makes me laugh, and i hope that i make him laugh. 'cos laughing is fun.

(check out our little run at it in the hulk thread - that was pretty good, too...).

but you know what? you're right. there were no new ideas in alien 3. in fact, until i looked at the cover of the dvd, i thought i was watching alien.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Bah, just imagine how weird this will be, with the Alien Quadrilology (sp?) DVD set coming out and all. First another Indiana Jones movie, and now this. :) Also, I'm with some of the others regarding James Cameron at the helm of another Alien movie in that, frankly, as long as it's done well, I don't care who directs it.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
It seems like everyone is giving Cameron total ownership over anything Aliens... Let's not forget that Cameron took over the franchise himself from Ridley Scott.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks