What's new

Alice In Chains Music Bank DVD - how is it? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I am a fan the band Alice In Chains, & was saddened by the death of singer Layne Staley a couple of weeks back.

Anyways, I didn't know that there was a DVD of their music videos. The price was good - (& I wanted to preorder the Waterworld DTS anyways) so I bought one. I should have it in the morning mail.

I was wondering if one of you own this, & what you think about it.

Thanks,

Calvin

Eric T

Second Unit
I will miss Layne Staley too. One of my favorite rock singers, he always came up with such cool and unusual melody lines for his vocals.

Let us know how you like the DVD.

StevenW

Second Unit
I have it. I think its awesome. All of their music videos in DD5.1 and also some backstage footage. You cant beat the price either.
R.I.P. Layne :frowning:

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Good choice Calvin.
I own the dvd and it's quite simply excellent. May i recommend, if you don't own it already, the Alice In Chains "Unplugged" dvd. Excelent sound and picture and very emotional performance.
I don't know if Layne Staley was a good or bad person, but purely on artistic merits, the music world has lost one of the most talented voices ever.
May he find the peace in never found in this crazy world.
R.I.P. Layne Staley :frowning:

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have the Music Box DVD as well and it's great. In addtion to the 5.1 DD soundtrack there is also a PCM stereo soundtrack as well.

What a shame that Layne Staley had to die. He was very talented.

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
I had gone to Best Buy one day to pick up the box set and found the DVD on sale for less $$ so I bought it instead. The music is simply awesome on this disc. The only thing I didn't care for is that the home video segments are in between the songs so you can't simply play all the videos back to back without sitting through footage you'll probably watch once at the most. I'd like to be able to put it on and listen to all the songs only. Otherwise this is one of my favorite music discs.

~Crowe~

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
It is a fantastic DVD and every AIC fan should have it, IMHO, it is worth having just for "What the Hell Have I" in DD 5.1.

The Unplugged DVD is very good for Audio and Video quality, but the performance leaves a lot to be desired. The songs they chose to play were horrible. Angry Chair, Sludge Factory, Would?, etc. should not have been played acoustic. They have all of this great material from Jar of Flies and Sap and they only played a few of them. Plus, Layne sounds horrible. I had the pleasure of seeing Chains on the start of the Dirt tour and at Lollapalooza, the Unplugged Chains is not the band that I love.

-Dean-

David Judah

Screenwriter
I have been watching/listening to it quite a bit the last few days(the PCM stereo track is better, IMO), and I think it is fantastic.

It is eerie watching Layne through the disc and seeing his appearance change so much over time. Also, it's sad looking at the first home video on the disc before the band's success and seeing him so vibrant and optimistic knowing his life comes to an untimely end.

DJ

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Jack,

It sounds horrible. I have seen him live and I remember the original airing of the Unplugged show on MTV. They cleaned up his vocals for the CD and DVD release. On the original airing, they were horrible. This was not a good Chains show. I have a couple of bootlegs from the Dirt tour and Layne sounds like a different singer.

I read reports from people who atteneded the Unplugged taping and they said it was really bad. They had to constantly restart songs because Layne kept fucking up. At one point he was practically falling off of the stool. I don't know if that last part is true, but seeing him sitting there, it appears that it probablly was.

Don't get me wrong now, Layne was a great singer, one of the best of all time, and one of my absolute favorites. That is why I am so hard on Chains' later works. I expect a lot from them and they did nothing but disappoint after Jar of Flies. I blame most of it on the heroin. However, Layne was really messed up during the Mad Season era, and that is some of the best music I have ever heard. Go figure.

-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Jack,

No need to be sorry. We just have different opinions on a certain recording. All I wanted to do was just explain myself. I will say this about the Unplugged recording, when they did Jar of Flies and Sap material, they sounded incredible. It seemed like Layne really wanted to be a part of those songs, but the other ones they did, he just seemed uninterested.

-Dean-

NP: Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Dean, you didn't like the Self Titled Album? I didn't like it too much at first, but like all albums, I listened to it over and over again, and really like it as a complete album. I don't have either of the dvd's, but think their work was never really weak, their just wan't enough of it. BTW, their redone song Brother for the Unplugged session is one of my favorite AIC chains songs, and one of my all time favs as well. So, I would have to partially agree that they put more into the SAP and Jar material than the rest.

RIP Layne

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Juan,
You do not even know how much I tried to like the Green Album. It starts off so strong with Grind, Brush Away, and Sludge Factory. Then it takes a big dive with Heaven Beside You (God, I hate that song), and then into Head Creeps and Again. After that, it is all downhill. I can't stand Frogs, God Am is OK, Nothing Song is no good, Over Now is another one I loathe, and I dont care for So Close and Shame in You at all. I just feel that it was a rushed album and that it was only made to make the studio execs happy. If you listen to the songs that I really like off this album, you can see that there was a lot of potential with this album, if they just would of taken the time.
Man do I miss Layne. :frowning:
-Dean-

Dan B

Screenwriter
I just bought this DVD & it's a keeper. I do agree that the home video bits in between are a little annoying. The PCM track is good...I haven't listened to the DD track yet.

Does anyone know if Facelift Live is planned for a DVD release?

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks