What's new

Alias Season 5 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
When it starts, we'll have to see how many people are there and how many end up leaving.

The departures of Will and Francie didn't "kill" the show (in my opinion).

It still isn't official as to whether Jennifer Garner leave. It also isn't official whether or not anyone else is leaving, either.

I think this is going to be one of those "don't know what you've got till it's gone" situations if this is indeed the last season of Alias.

Remember how the critics were "unkind" to the show "Seinfeld" during its last season? Several years later, the critics were like, "Gee, what were we thinking? We really were too harsh on the last season."

I thought Season 4 was a definite improvement over 3. There were some very clever eps during that season.

I think everyone is lamenting that they did away with the "cliffhanger" endings at the end of each episode. I think that fact irks some people and they'll never like the show again because of it! ;)

These actors take pulpy material and make it compelling. The show has always held a brand of "James Bond-esque" frivolity to it.

There has always been a "sci-fi" aspect to this show...just like the Bond movies.

The reason the show hasn't prospered is because of that, in my opinion.

Everyone is looking for "gritty realism" in their dramas these days. "Alias" has tried to be a fun spy show, and at the same time try and develop the relationships between these characters in a "realistic" way.

Therein probably lies the reason the show hasn't ever caught on with a large audience. The show will have a poignant scene between Syd and her father one moment, then in the next scene she'll have jetted off to Bern to seduce a terrorist in a bar.

I love that quality of the show (and I think most loyalists do), but I think that aspect of the show (which has been there from the beginning) loses folks that aren't willing to give it a chance.

For me, there are four characters that are essential to the show: Sydney Bristow, Jack Bristow, Arvin Sloane and Marshall

As long as those characters remain intact, you have a good show.

Vaughn is alright, but hasn't been that interesting since Season 3.

Look at a show like "24." That show as actually made much better when they jettisoned a lot of the characters we'd been seeing during the first three seasons, and tried out some new people (bringing back some of the older ones in limited roles).

Craig J. Koban

Stunt Coordinator
Hey gang...did any of you see Vartan on ET tonight? I think he all but confirmed that his character is a goner. When asked if he will be killed off, he neither confirmed nor denied. Obviously, conventional wisdom would dictate that if he will not be killed, he would obviously say so...right?

I think he's gone for sure this season. Also, his comments as well reveal his disdain for the show. He made some off the cuff comments like "Geez, it's just a show" and "we ain't curing cancer, we're just making a TV show." I am getting the impression that his heart is just not in the show anymore. He also seems to not care about how some of his fans may not like the idea of him leaving the show.

I am growing grim in my thoughts that season 5 will be the last one. Sigh.

Craig J. Koban

Stunt Coordinator
I do not see why it is necessary to post a spoiler tag for discussing where I think the show is going. Not only that, but I don't think it's SPOILER material to post what an actor said when he responded to a question that was asked of him on a show that is seen by such a huge audience like ET. I do believe that if he stated on a web site, for example, that his character would be killed off, then that would be a FACT and should be covered in spoiler tags. I do not in any way think that I should have to spoiler tag my IDLE SPECULATION about where I think the show is going...it's just that...speculation...and not fact.

But, to appease some of you out there, and for the record:

CrAiGeR thinks that, based on his responses to the ET questions, Vaughn will be killed off.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
In general, anything not presented in an aired episode is a spoiler unless it is conjecture. Presented in an interview, etc. is still a spoiler until it shows up on air. At some point it is left up to the good behavior of forum participants not to spoil the show for other viewers.

It's possible to present as conjecture something you've read somewhere else as a spoiler. That wouldn't be a very cool thing to do. On the other hand, I don't think I should be forbidden from saying, "I hope Irina Derevko comes back. At the very least, we need to see her interact with Sloane a bit." If I already know this is going to happen due to spoilers, pooh on me for sharing it. If, however, I'm just a viewer expressing what I like about the show and possible directions it can go in, that's different.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Isn't this inherently a spoiler thread prior to broadcast, guys? Anyone who wanted to stay virginal is not going to click on this thread, so why should we be spoilerizing anything?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just saw an ad for the season premiere during Lost tonight.

Looks like Garners condition will show up on the show after all. And Vartan's fate could go either way. I sense he wants to stay on the show, but others don't?

It's good to see it starts during the normal season start period, unlike last year. Not sure this show will make it past this year. Seems the uniqueness has worn off. Too bad, but considering most innovative ideas, they can only sustain themselves for a particular period of time.

Craig J. Koban

Stunt Coordinator
What do you guys think of the show being on Thursdays and that it's starting in September? I for one love fact that it's starting soon (waiting until January last time was unadulterated torture...but Thursday nights? Man...can't they pick a time and keep it there? Not only are they alienating fans, but they are killing hopes of holding newer viewers.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather it started in January, to be honest - both 24 and Alias worked much better running straight through last year. As to the Thursday night deal - I think Smallville is the only other show I watch then, so I'm not overloading my recording capabilities. I don't think this show needs to be protected from other strong shows; at some point, a program as expensive and high-profile as Alias needs to put up or shut up, and justify the network's investment by being a draw in a competitive night.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Reruns do nothing for me. I'd rather the show start in January and run (basically) straight through. The Thursday decision doesn't bother me because when Alias goes away, I won't feel any great sense of loss.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Why would ABC put Alias up against Survivor? It's almost like they want the show to fail because there are a ton of other time slots they could have put it in with much less competition. What was wrong with keeping it after Lost on Wednesday nights?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I agree with but I think ABC looks at it as that Alias already has its audience (or, at least, as big as it's ever going to get). If they put a new show after Lost, people will (hopefully) stay tuned and become regular viewers of that show too. They use a hit to build an audience for a new show.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Good point, Travis. I just don't understand putting it up against Survivor which is consistently one of the highest rated shows on TV.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Saw a Print ad and it shows Garner with a big belly and the text says...Expect More.
Oh brother.

The picture must have been taken a few months ago because if anyone saw her on the Emmys's she's huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks