What's new

ALI director's cut question (1 Viewer)

Mark E J

Second Unit
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what was added to or removed from the ALI director's cut.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Alot of stuff was added and a few things were removed. Of the top of my head, I can't think of them all but it's a somewhat different film than the theatrical version.

The focus is different. I do know that i prefer this cut instead of the original.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Here are some images and a little despcription of differences.

DVDCompare.net just listed that it was a much longer cut, and it looks like there may be more special features on the Director's Cut.

Ryan

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Minor changes to scenes, smal additions, and some alternate takes/angles. Overall, it adds to the atmosphere of the picture, giving it alittle more breathing room, character development, and underlining the political FBI stuff a little bit more. Pretty much this is what would happen if you let Michael Mann tinker with the film in the editing room for a couple more months. Both cuts are largely the same, overall. If you own neither, I would recommend the director's cut, as it offers a slightly fuller film. TC is 157 mins, this is 165 mins.

Director's cut features a 30-minute making of piece and a Mann commentary that focuses almost exclusively on the historical aspects of the film. (Mann typically only discusses content, rather than style, in his commentaries, and since this is historically based he basically talks about Muhammed Ali for 3 hours)

I had a hell of a time finding out info about this myself; feel free to ask more questions.

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks