What's new

Alfred Hitchcock (1 Viewer)

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Not at all, NxNW is one of his funniest movies. But, I'm pretty confused about that question, too. Almost all of Hitchcock's films are funny, black humor was his trademark.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
If you don't recognise the humour in Hitchcock, you might be too young; ask your mum what she thinks. After all, a boy's best friend is his mother.
wink.gif

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Oh, and Theo, if you've not read the legendary 'Adventures in the Screen Trade' by William Goldman, you need to do so now. Its a superb book, but one of the things in it is Goldman describing how brilliant NxNW is at bringing its entire third act to a close so quickly. Its the very definition of tight writing. The film is about the chase, the predicament that Thornhill is in being chased by the people who believe he is Kaplan. The moment James Mason is out of the picture there is nothing left to say, so why hang around?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
My favorite line from NXNW:
We hear Thornhill's side of the telephone conversation with his mother explaining how he was forced to drink a bottle of bourbon, a pause, then "No, they didn't give me a chaser."
laugh.gif

patriot.gif

------------------
God Bless America

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Ian, I'll try that book. I really have no problem with the movie except doing the cut itself - it's just weird. If he'd dragged her up to the top and the movie had ended it would have been obvious that it was a happy ending...Well to me anyhow.
Cheers
Funny that I resurrect it and the conversation picks up like it hasn't been 2.5 months since it was last posted to.
wink.gif

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
confused.gif

This thread ain't dead yet?
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I've come to finally accept the ending for North by Northwest. I guess it was quite humorous after all. :)
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Hi,
Strange that nobody's mentioned The 39 Steps. Deliciously witty repartee between Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll.
Joe
------------------
Movie reviews and discussion...Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks