What's new

Alfred Hitchcock (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I am by no stretch of the imagination a fan of Hitchcock. I do however, can see the genious behind his work. He ranks either second or third on my list of favorite directors. Rear Window has got to be my favorite Hitchcock film followed by Vertigo than Psycho. North by Northwest I hate soley for the reason that the ending killed me (it was going to be my favorite Hitchcock film until that stupid ending). Anyways (after dodging myriads of fireballs), I want to know why the "Master of Suspense" didn't do comedy? I mean, I think his sense of humor, macbre or not, was better than his sense of suspense. The goofy look he gets, his cameos, it's all priceless.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Check out The Lady Vanishes. Criterion has released it on DVD. While not a screwball comedy, it is definitely different than what people normally associate with Hitchcock. I know it really threw me for a loop the first time I saw it. Not what I expected at all.
I'm not sure what bothered you about the end of North by Northwest. Do you mean the stuff on the train? Before that?
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Another Woman, September, Shadows and Fog, Alice, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Gray's Anatomy, Dogma: Special Edition
Most recent column: One Hundred and Counting

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The Trouble With Harry is definitely a comedy.
I think all of Hitch's films (well, the ones I've seen) have a sly wit about them to varying degrees. He seems to infuse everything with a touch of comedy.
The Lady Vanishes is maybe the most overt example of this (It's also my favourite pre-Hollywood Hitch film), especially with the Charters and Caldicott characters - sort of a Hitchcockian Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
To Catch a Thief is sort of a romantic comedy as well as a mystery and a heist film. It has everything! :)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I am by no stretch of the imagination a fan of Hitchcock. I do however, can see the genious behind his work. He ranks either second or third on my list of favorite directors.
OK, let me get this straight: You're not a fan of Hitchcock, but he's your "second or third" favorite director. How does that compute?
wink.gif

Anyway, I second Mitty's recommendations. "The Trouble With Harry" is a particular favorite of mine, even though it isn't one of Hitch's better-known films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hitchcock made a romantic comedy in the 1940's called Mr. and Mrs. Smith starring Robert Montgomery and Carole Lombard. Though, the film is not one of his best, however, it still had it's moments.
Crawdaddy
------------------

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I agree with Ken. You seem to contradict yourself in your post. You're "by no stretch of the imagination a Hitchcock fan" but he's your second or third favorite director.
confused.gif
Does that mean you're only a "fan" of your #1 favorite?
Anyway, I second the note about The Trouble With Harry - a really quirky movie that gets better as it goes along and has a lot of dry humor.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It takes more than liking his movies to be a fan. I just like his movies. The true fans of Hitchcock seem to know everything about the English man with the diabolical plan. Everything about his life right down to his shoe size. A Hitchcock fan can probably recite all the lines in his movies and has each one of them analyzed down to the last dot on the last credit line. I can't do any of this stuff. I just like his movies. But thanx for the suggestion guys.
As far as North by Northwest goes, the whole movie except for the ending was fantastic. I found the humor for the ending to be seriously missplaced. I mean really
Spoiler: it's like:
"Help I'm falling off a cliff!"
"I got ya! I got ya...TADA!!! WE'RE MARRIED AND ON A TRAIN!!!
That's got to be the dumbest cut in all of movies.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Well, under that strict definition I'm not really a "fan" either. I can't recite all that trivial minutia about Hitch.
But I enjoy a lot of his movies and find the documentaries about him and his movie-making interesting too. So in that more casual sense I consider myself a "fan" as people commonly use that word.
Come to think of it, I guess "fan" is short for "fanatic" so maybe your definition is better... :)
------------------

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm not as much of a fan of Hitchcock as I thought. There are tons of his movies I haven't even seen (such as The Pleasure Garden). But I have to say that I have no problem whatsoever with the ending of North By Northwest. It was just a humorous little cut. Nothing great or horrible in my opinion. Certainly nothing to dislike the entire movie over. It's not like Spoiler:Roger Thornhill really turned out to be George Kaplan :)
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Spoiler:"They've obviously mistaken me for a much shorter man." Out of the closet steps Haley Joel Osment, playing Kaplan. :)
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Adrian_N

Agent
george kaplan, do you ever get up to answer a public phone? :)
I thought the ending was neither bad nor good. It was a tongue-in-cheek ending. I'm curious to know what other "cliffhangers" were out at the same time.
As for comedy, I really do recommend AH's Trouble With harry.
What is AH's shoe size anyways?

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I thought the very last image was a hoot, an example of Hitchcock's humor?
Spoiler:The train going into the tunnel.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I thought the very last image was a hoot, an example of Hitchcock's humor?
Actually it's a time-honored symbolic image.
Spoiler:Going into a tunnel to represent sex. Waves crashing, ala From Here to Eternity and Rebecca - orgasm. There are lots of others
------------------
[Edited last by george kaplan on July 10, 2001 at 05:15 PM]

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hi, just resurrecting this to ask if anyone knows why the ending of NbNW is how it is? Is there a site about it? I was hoping there'd be something about it in the commentary but nothing! It's the only downside of the movie for me. Vandam's final line would have been a far better finisher.
laugh.gif

Theo

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Yes, Dome. If you come in for Fall Break, we will watch The Trouble With Harry. It is pretty funny.
Personally, I thought some of Hitchcock's best comedic touches came in Frenzy. All the stuff with the policeman and his wife at dinner. The body in the sack of potatoes. Very amusing, and tense.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Since the original question was why didn't Hitchcock do comedy, I have to ask: Am I the only one who thinks that NBNW is hilarious?
------------------
ribbon.gif
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks