What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection - Oct 14, 2008 (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'd love to say I'm passing on the new Vertigo.... but a new commentary track? Okay, sold. I'd prefer a Blu-ray release, however....

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Having a sizable portion of the Hitch canon on BD would be something that pushes me over the line to buying a BD player. I have no interest in these triple dips though.

Not to put words into his mouth, but Mr. Harris posted something fairly recently stating that with the tools available today that the VERTIGO restoration could be improved. It wasn't clear if such a project was a bona fide possibility though. Mr. Harris obviously would be limited in what he could say if it was.

As far as the MGM set goes, since I have the Criterions and excellent standalone of Lifeboat I have no desire to rebuy those to get this high priced set. Hopefully Y&I, Sabatage, Paradine, Lodger will be standalone releases at some point.

Agree with the prior posters who have lobbied for a high quality R1 release of the Lorre MWKTM.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I can not see triple dipping into these collections. If I purchased the Universal re-releases it actually would be the third time for DVD. I also have the MGM releases through Criterion or Fox and the other two just can not make me part with the money. I want more new stuff not more new old stuff. Come on Universal, where is Island Of Lost Souls and The Uninvited. Surely they could sell a few discs more than the third time around for Hitchcock.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It would have been better if a new thread had been started for the Universal releases. We now have a confusing thread with two different sets being discussed and the topic title referring to the MGM collection.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
My problem? I actually have to get all three! The Master collection from Uni for those not being released as Legacy, the three Legacies for all the bells and whistles and the Premiere collection to get Notorious et al.

Rich? No. Just a movie fan who wants it all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't understand why Universal wouldn't dip its toe into the water with at least one of these classics on Blu-ray? (I'd prefer VERTIGO but I suspect PSYCHO might be the more popular title.)

I just don't want to rebuy these even with the extras unless they're on Blu-ray.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Who says they won't? I have no doubt these three titles will be among Universal's first Hitchcock releases on Blu-ray... just not yet. Which sucks, I agree... especially since this is VERTIGO's 50th Anniversary.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Thanks for the list and links Paul. I got into DVD too late to get the three OOP Criterions and don't want to pay the high Ebay prices so this new set is wonderful for me. I'll definitely be buying it. Your post also reminded me I need the Criterion 39 Steps and Lady Vanishes as well as the Collectors Edition of To Catch a Thief.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Bizarre about the Universal Legacy editions. I'll probably get Vertigo IF they've corrected the color timing on the face during the opening credits. Psycho is in dire need of a remastering---I just watched the disc from the Masterpiece Collection last night and the white and black levels seemed to fluctuate from shot to shot (as did the grain level). Perhaps this was how it was filmed, but I don't remember it being distracting during the numerous theatrical screenings I've seen. And I wonder if Rear Window will really be 1.66 this time around.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Wonder if this will be the TCM restoration of The Lodger? The reissues of the films that were on Criterion discs are great, it'll be nice to finally get them for reasonable prices. Wonder if any extras will carry over? Oh, and big question: since this appears to be Harris's restoration of Vertigo, will it include the original mono track?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I noticed some variations in grain, but they tended to be optical shots with higher levels. Nothing really looked off. Any specific spots? Universal handles film grain perfectly on their B&W titles, at least for the last few years. No or minmal filtering, razor sharp.

Also, Rear Window is 1.66:1 on both the original 2002 and MC re-issue DVDs. The MC lacks the noise filtering on the '02 DVD and has more dirt/scratch removal.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Woohoo, got $122 for Rebecca and Notorious on eBay, which will more than cover the new box.

As for the Criterion extras not all getting ported over, who cares? I watched them once, and I count on one hand the number of DVD extras I've watched more than once.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Tsk. It's having the extras that counts in collecting. :cool:

For example, take Blade Runner (if you don't like Blade Runner, it's okay, this is only an example). Are you gonna watch all five versions all the time? No, you might check them out, but will re-watch your favorite version from then on. But it's nice knowing you have these other ones.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff

I'd have to put the MC Psycho disc in again and make specific notes, but off-hand where I noticed grain differential the most was during the used car lot sequence: the back and forth shots between Janet Leigh and John Anderson.

I know everyone keeps telling me both Rear Window releases were is in 1.66. But both take up my full 1.78 screen (and it doesn't overscan--at least the picture boxing on academy ratio Criterion releases is painfully obvious).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If it wasn't for having that over blown still of Jimmy Stewart, that would have been the best Vertigo cover art ever. *sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks