What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection - Oct 14, 2008 (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds like a nice release from MGM/Fox. The box set includes new restorations of eight Hitchcock titles, some of which are OOP or unavailable in R1, with a healthy dose of extras:

- The Lodger (1927)
- Sabotage (1936)
- Young and Innocent (1937)
- Rebecca (1940)
- Lifeboat (1944)
- Spellbound (1945)
- Notorious (1946)
- The Paradine Case (1947)

Artwork and full specs:
Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection (US - DVD R1) in News > Releases at DVDActive

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Time to make some quick eBay cash on my Criterion Notorious and Rebecca. Not all the extras are being ported over, but those two alone should pay for this entire box.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
The one thing that bugged me about the Warners and Universal sets was the dearth of commentaries -- IIRC, only 3 out of 23 films total had one. The documentaries were nice, but classics like Rear Window, Psycho, and The Birds really deserve a scene by scene analysis. It's good to see all the films in the Fox set -- even The Paradine Case -- will have at least one commentary.

And since I own the Criterion Notorious, I'll have four separate commentaries on that one film!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
On one hand, I'm extremely excited to see this set coming, but I can't commit to it until I see some details. I already own all of the Criterion editions as well as Lifeboat. From a first glance, it appears that there are several major extras that are not contained on the new editions, plus the commentaries are different and not necesarily by better commentators.

I might be willing to part with my CC Notorious since it's one of my least favorite Hitchcock's, but I love Rebecca and Spelbound and I would need to keep both editions in order to have all of the extras.

Does anybody know if this will be a box with individual cases or one of the dreaded fold-out sets? If they're individuals, I might go for it and sell of whichever duplicates I don't care for.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW; $120? Anyone else think that's just a little steep, even for such a well-stocked set?

If you're in any way a fan, surely this is going to involve most folk double-dipping and, well, it's $120...? The soon to be released Tyrone Power 2 set has 10 films at an srp of $49.98, which is excellent value; this just seems a little top heavy.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Seems almost all different extras here. Even if you have the Criterions, I think it's worth getting the box as well. I know I am!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

CRIKEY! I didn't notice that price on my first viewing. That is quite steep, although I would expect the street pricing to be closer to $80 when all is said and done. I'll sell off my copy of Lifeboat which will bring it down another notch, but that still makes $70+ for a bunch of double-dips and a couple of lesser Hitchcock films. I may have to wait for these to be individually released, unless the documentaries and commentaries prove to be phenomonal and on par with the Criterion editions.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The price is a little steep compared to the Universal and WHV sets. Packaging looks thin as if more than one film were on a disc. But I welcome this release.
You've got a buyer for Criterion's REBECCA right here and now. If you want to sell it today PM me.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Either it's a screw up in the press release or Fox/MGM is testing us; I failed the first test - and was happy to do so with the 'Ford at Fox' box - but while I'm sure we all welcome this release, it's possibly the thin end of a very expensive wedge, and I already own four excellent editions of the films contained therein.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I need a copy of The Lodger and The Paradine Case. I'd like better copies of Sabotage and Young and Innocent. But I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $120 for the rest of the movies since I already have the Criterion set and Lifeboat. If these were Blu-ray or if the set was considerably cheaper it wouldn't be an issue. But I'm only missing two of them from my collection.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
SABOTAGE at last??? YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, happily, I own none of the others on DVD as of yet. This set WILL be mine, and I'm sure I can find it quite a chunk cheaper than $120.00.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
My copies of Criterion's SPELLBOUND, REBECCA, and NOTORIOUS just went up on eBay. This sounds like a fantastic set!

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Well I own the R2 PAL German Concorde set with excellent copies of Sabotage and Young and Innocent, as well as a decent print of The Lodger. I also own the Fox Lifeboat and all the Criterion Hitchcocks. In short, I don't really need this set--but I'll probably still get it. Whether I do get it or not, I'm glad to see all of these movies being made more readily available in R1.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this is an expensive double-dip for me... but I'll surely take the plunge as these are some of my favorite films!

I already own all Criterion Hitchcocks and Lifeboat as well. I wonder if that will be a straight port of the existing disc. I just hope these are packaged individually so that we can pick the set apart and part with whatever is not needed.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I would hold off getting rid of those Criterions. All the extras are different between MGM and Criterion, including the commentaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks