What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection on Blu-ray. Which one? (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm still trying to decided what set to pick up. I really like the big UK set and the price, but I have Universal's UK version of the Jurassic Park trilogy and it takes for ever to load and is a little buggy. It is making me gun shy.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
May I suggest you start reading this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray
Loads of food for thought.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I finally bit the bullet and put in a preorder for the Big Box Limited Edition. Just too much extra stuff for the extra $4 and if the shipment survives, that whole Birds Acrylic is going to look
really cool on the shelf. Once people started cancelling preorder and the LE going into and out of stock I just had to get my order there even if the delivery may be Christmas (hopefully 2012)
The German set now lists a delivery date 28 Dec 2012 so I think that almost nails the delay though the UK set stubbornly refuses to join the bandwagon -- I was going to say "final nail in the
coffin," but with the Monsters LE Set I just didn't figure it was right to do that. I think the consensus is the German date is more of an indefinite placeholder rather than an absolute new
delivery date, but who knows -- just get it as right as possible.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I've been reading it too, with great concern.
I don't want to lose that limited edition, but it concerns me that no-one seems able to contact Universal to get some sort of idea about what is happening re correcting UK edition flaws!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cancelled my U.K. order (not the limited edition). There is just too much uncertainty about this set right now, and it's Universal -- a studio that definitely does not deserve the benefit of the doubt based on their past history. I am going to wait until these hit the streets before I make a purchase decision.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm right there in the same boat with you Scott, and I have to say that it sucks. Nothing personal of course.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got an email notice from Amazon UK that my order has been delayed and won't arrive until mid-November, so I think that should put to rest confirmation that the UK version is on board with whatever corrections Universal is making to the set. I'm sticking with the UK art box version.
P.S. - You have to believe the British would be just as picky, if not more so, about the visual presentation on blu-ray of their Native son. I used to buy British vinyl versions of audio records because they were supposedly better quality. European version of film and audio products were always perceived as a notch above, whether true or not.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I figure I'll get this sometime near Christmas, seeing as I still haven't received the Universal Classic Monsters UK set yet, but, sigh, we've waited this long for this material on blu-ray, so it was bound to be Christmas WHENEVER it arrived.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
'Christmas' finally came. Dispatched Nov. 10, arrived Dec. 1, for all those who also ordered the delayed UK set and wondering how long it takes for the regular 'royal' mail. This is definitely a 'display' version versus a bookshelf version, and it's quite elegant and stately. The coffee table book that houses the BDs rests in the middle of a stand that has a plastic case that fits around it with the 'birds' swarming up in silhouette on the back. Hey, if you're a Hitchcock fan, this display will sit proudly on the 'top' of your bookcase.
Disc handling purists might not like the way you have to grab the edge of the disk by thumb and forefinger on both sides to remove from the coffee table book, but you're probably not going to be doing that often. The loose collection of art cards, original poster cards, storyboards, Bates house blueprint, etc. are fine, but I would have prefered they all be part of the coffee table book.
I've read many of the reviews for the discs themselves, but just wanted to pass this info along on the UK display version. Worth the wait.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, you're right. I display it back-to-front which makes it look all the more elegant.
I have only four truly 'deluxe' editions .. the special versions of Wizard of Oz and Casablanca, this Hitchcock set, and the super edition of standard DVD HItchcocks inside the stylish perspex box, housing such films as Rebecca, Notorious etc. As those films come out on Blu ray, I'm just replacing the discs and keeping that box set.
The slight extra cost of the Hitchcock UK limited edition was really worthwhile; a great tribute to the Master.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I am not certain if this is the correct thread. I just bought from Amazon-UK the Hitchcock "The Masterpiece Collection" - not the special edition. The cost was circa £90 and is today £79. I bought is last week for circa 61£. I measured the box and it is 5.5 x 6 7/8 x 1.5 inches (or 24.5 x 27.5 x 3.8 cm)-

I see that Amazon-UK will have black Friday lightning deals Mon. Tue. Wed before Xmas with entries from circa 9AM-11AM british time- I hope to get the James Bond set with this.

I just bought a Blu-Ray multi-region portable player by XORO 1000 and I will soon hook it at up to my 31 inch TV. As mentioned on the Amaz-UK site, the Man Who Knew Too Much" seems to be fine-

PS- If you have ´"the Man Who Knew Too Much"" which is poor please state exactly where it is bad (giving time location)-

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Does anyone know just how 'limited' the UK Limited Edition set is? Just curious. I think mine is numbered around 2,300. I'm wondering how many they made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks