What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Derrick King said:
Looks like Criterion has the rights to Hitchcock’s SABOTAGE and YOUNG AND INNOCENT, as they are offering those two, along with FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, in HD at iTunes.
They should also have the rights to Secret Agent, along with Hitchcock's other Gainsborough features including The Lodger, Downhill, and The Pleasure Garden. I know Secret Agent is not considered among Hitchcock's best, but it's still good entertainment. It is also among the last British Hitchcock films to flagrantly disregard the U.S. production code, as later Gainsborough Hitchcock films were more PCA firendly and Laughton's Mayflower independent production company overhauled Jamaica Inn's original novel content to be acceptable by PCA standards.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I will buy any Hitchcock on blu-ray, especially from Criterion. Give us a British films box set! The 9 silent films have been restored by the BFI last year with new scores, and so far only The Lodger has been released on a region B blu-ray. The rights to those 9 are divided, so there would have to be a joint venture for a complete box set of the silents. Not to mention distribution rights vary between countries. We can expect Jamaica Inn to be restored and released on blu-ray soon from Rohauer.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I can't wait to get my hands on the BFI restorations of the silents. That is one of the most exciting projects in recent years and the British fans have been very lucky -- they live there and can go to the screenings. We Americans have to wait. I hope they'll get them all out this year. What are they waiting for? SECRET AGENT is a solid suspense film filled with all the entertaining flourishes for which Hitchcock is famous. I'll buy it on blu-ray in an instant and so will a lot of people. To sum up that still leaves several of Hitchcock's 1930s films without a blu-ray, doesn't it: 1930 Juno and the Paycock, 1930 Murder! 1931 The Skin Game 1932 Number 17 1932 Rich and Strange 1936 Secret Agent I would also like to see BLACKMAIL (1929) transferred to blu-ray. Kinowelt issued the cleanest, sharpest transfer of both the silent and sound versions: and it needs a region A, or at least a region 1 release. Absolutely essential.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Well, if we're only talking about the British sound films there's also Sabotage 1936, Waltzes From Vienna 1933, Young and Innocent 1937.
Yes, the Arthaus DVD is great. Network released the sound version which looks as good, but I prefer the silent version. With the live voiceover it's just kinda clunky and awkward.

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
I'm a Hitchcock completist, especially from 1934 onward. I'm currently running through all his films from that date on concurrently with the BD's that have been released so far (in the US region, anyway). I was just contemplating pulling the trigger (heh) on Warner's "Dial M For Murder" when the thought crossed my mind that Warner's has a few they could conceivably remaster and release this year as part of their anniversary celebration. Greats like Suspicion and The Wrong Man. Does anyone else think that may be likely?

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by BillBR
I'm a Hitchcock completist, especially from 1934 onward. I'm currently running through all his films from that date on concurrently with the BD's that have been released so far (in the US region, anyway). I was just contemplating pulling the trigger (heh) on Warner's "Dial M For Murder" when the thought crossed my mind that Warner's has a few they could conceivably remaster and release this year as part of their anniversary celebration. Greats like Suspicion and The Wrong Man.
Does anyone else think that may be likely?
I'm hoping for a WB box set with the 3 current releases and adding the 2 you mentioned an well as Mr and Mrs Smith, Stage Fright, I Confess and possibly Foreign Correspondent. That would be the same as their DVD set The Signature Collection. No announcement has been made, but this is their big 90th anniversary year, so, let's hope.

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
mikeyhitchfan said:
I'm hoping for a WB box set with the 3 current releases and adding the 2 you mentioned an well as Mr and Mrs Smith, Stage Fright, I Confess and possibly Foreign Correspondent. That would be the same as their DVD set The Signature Collection. No announcement has been made, but this is their big 90th anniversary year, so, let's hope.
I agree! Maybe if we all wish hard enough for it to happen, it will...after all, we all brought Tinkerbell back to life when we were kids, right? :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Isn't Foreign Correspondent owned by someone else. I thought it was rumored for a Criterion release.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Criterion currently holds license. WB owned it through a limited license from a 3rd party company previously (Carlton?).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JoHud
Criterion currently holds license. WB owned it through a limited license from a 3rd party company previously (Carlton?).
Castle Hill/Caidin Trust
This is also how Criterion got Stagecoach (1939) and To Be or Not to Be (1942).

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I have the StudioCanal Blu-ray import release of To Be or Not to Be. Looks a bit more contrasty than what I've seen on TCM, but the detail is very good. What is the consensus on the new Criterion/Hulu transfer? I'd check it out myself, but I don't subscribe to Hulu.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
List updated to include Region Free Lifeboat from Germany. Also, individual titles from the Masterpiece Collection are available to pre-order in the U.K., Japan and Germany. The titles so far listed are The Birds, Saboteur, Rear Window and Family Plot. It's likely that the same ones will be released in the U.S. soon, and that the rest of them will come out in groups every quarter or so. I expect The Birds 50th anniversary release here to be a Digibook.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
It now appears that ALL the individual titles from The Masterpiece Collection are coming soon to the U.S. all at once! Most of the titles are available to pre-order at 16.99 each. No release date listed but other countries are saying May, so, that's what I'm guessing here.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The individual titles from The Masterpiece Collection are all coming this year. Rear Window, Vertigo and The Birds are not listed in the U.S yet, but as other countries list them I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

The Essentials Collection is also coming soon and has 5 titles from the set for those that want Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho and The Birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks