What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I can't understand why Fox is holding back on this. I could understand why they didn't want it released last year with the glut of other Hitchcock films coming out, but Criterion has been the only one issuing a new Hitchcock in Region A this year. This would make a great addition to their Blu-ray Studio Classics line.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The UK Blu-ray looks damned good to me, but I haven't watched it straight through yet, or with too critical an eye. It does lack the commentary and maybe another feature or two that the Premiere Collection (or whatever that was called) DVD included, so Fox would probably retain all of that when they do get around to this.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Matt Hough said:
I can't understand why Fox is holding back on this. I could understand why they didn't want it released last year with the glut of other Hitchcock films coming out, but Criterion has been the only one issuing a new Hitchcock in Region A this year. This would make a great addition to their Blu-ray Studio Classics line.
+1

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I watched the Aussie Blu-ray last night. Great quality disc with the extras I remember from the old Fox DVD (the wonderful 'Theater of War' featurette) but sans the commentary track.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Yes, those and/or Secret Agent and Sabotage..Criterion has been dragging their feet on more Hitchcock titles.

Downhill, his 4th film is an interesting one. Some fun camera tricks and montages, and it moves pretty quickly.
The listing says 80 minutes, which is 26 minutes shorter than the restored running time. Hmmm..I can't see them releasing this if it's not the new restoration. Could be an Amazon mistake.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I strongly suspect a Blu-ray of the unrestored version (as per the current DVD iteration from Network - licensed from ITV - in the UK). The Spanish label is Divisa HV; the logo on the cover indicates the sources of their transfer.

EDIT: Well, one Spanish site says "Restored in 2012, DOWNHILL has a piano soundtrack composed by Javier Perez de Azpeitia." I'm prepared to be surprised.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
AnthonyClarke said:
What's the uretrored image like on 'Downhill'? Worth pursuing on Spanish sites -- or are we better off waiting for something better?
We won't know that until someone views it, but I have a German DVD that looks very good. Chances are it would look good. It is, however, missing the tinting and any additional footage (over 20 minutes) that are in the restoration (if it's not the restored version).

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Declive (Downhill, 1927, Alfred Hitchcock)
Nueva restauración en HD. Novedad mundial
ITV STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

So, we know that it's the 2012 restoration!

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
All of the individual Universal titles from the box set are identical transfers except for the label. Why would they update another box set? I kind of like this one, and maybe if they included the WB titles available I might have been more tempted to double-no-triple dip.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still waiting for single BD releases of Vertigo and Rear Window for the North American region. I haven't seen any announcement, so I don't think it will happen this year.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Universal (in the U.S. anyway) is milking the top titles for all they're worth. First the Masterpiece 15 disc box set, then the Essentials 5 disc box, then eventually, after 2 Christmas buying seasons, next year we'll finally get Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds and a re-release of Psycho (with new artwork to replace the discontinued 4 year old 50th anniversary release).

Of course all of the titles have been released (mostly region free I think) in every other country except the good ole' USA.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
All the movies are singles on UK amazon.co.uk just import they are all region free as well. £10 each though or £165 for the new film tin set :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks