Alex Zanardi loses both legs in race in Germany!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Sep 15, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

3. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

Even among this week's other events, this is horrible.
    Alex will be missed as a racer but thank God he is alive.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Oh my God!!!
    I hadn't heard this. That's horrible. Obviously it gets lost in the current events, but in a "normal" week this would be about the worst thing I could have imagined.
    I almost feel bad for being so bothered by this news, what with the other horrors going on, but I am.
    No matter how many bad things have happened, they don't make the next one "less bad". Pretty wretched week just keeps it's crappy slope.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  6. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Crap. [​IMG] I heard he was in a serioud accident but didn't know the extent until just now.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

My goodness. Can nothing go right this week? First the WTC, the plane crash in Mexico, the Amtrack accident, and now this.
    After two championship seasons where everything seemed to just go Zanardi's way, my father and I had commented several times that it seems his luck had just run out. We never imagined that this would happen.
    ------------------

8. Michael St. Clair

I was listening to the race on the radio yesterday morning during the accident. I was looking forward to the race as a chance to try to get my mind off current events. News didn't come out for a couple of hours, but from the reaction of the commenators it was obviously not good.
    I am grateful that Alex is alive, and I am hopeful that he can have a full life. He may even race again, there is some sportscar racing that can accomodate handicapped drivers.
    I believe that AZ can attack life as a whole the way he did his racing career, and have a long and fruitful life. My thoughts are with him and his family.
    A few hours after Zanardi's accident, my wife found out that her grandfather had died.
    This week sucks. I've been crying too much.
    I believe that Zanardi was racing with a large American flag on the sidepods of his car.
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 16, 2001 at 09:32 AM]

9. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

I was really looking forward to seeing the CART guys over here this coming weekend, now I've been put right off. Is this a bad thing? I want to support the new Rockingham facility but I think I'm reaching breaking point with regards drivers (and onlookers) being killed/maimed.
    I know we've come a long way in recent years safety wise, and I know the price many drivers and fans paid in years gone by, but I'm losing my enthusiasm for it.
    Am I lilly livered? Should I attend the Rockingham meet? Alex knew he was playing a dangerous game, and I'm certain he wouldn't want people to stop following the sport...
    I'm torn.
    Mark

10. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I do not know who he is but that is terrible news, you were right in saying That we need some good news.
    God bless him and his family
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003344.html

11. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

This is just sad. Zanardi was one of my favorite CART drivers and he was a special talent. He has my sympathies.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

12. John Nelson

John Nelson Stunt Coordinator

A perfectly horrible end to a perfectly horrible week.
    At least he is alive. I just saw a full speed replay of the crash and have to say it is the most violent racing accident I've ever seen, and that includes several fatal accidents.
    My prayers to Alex, a truly nice and well-liked guy, and his family. A very small comfort but I also saw an interview with Zanardi where said, at the start of this season, that he was financially independent, had achieved great success in racing, and was wondering whether he should attempt a comeback at all when he would be happy just staying with his family. Knowing his personality, I think he will adapt and rise above this, and be as irrepresible as ever.