What's new

Alan Clarke Collection - anyone? (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
For lovers of down-to-earth, in-your-face drama, the late Alan Clarke brough a lot to the table for those of up growing up in the 70s on...

Here are the details from Blue Underground's website. This set is due on Monday. So far I have read no reviews or anything about this set. Is anyone else here looking forward to this as much as I am?

The Alan Clarke Collection
Available from: August 31, 2004.

Color • 412 Mins • $99.95 • UPC 827058300490 • BU3004DVD

Director: Alan Clarke
“The Greatest British Filmmaker Of His Generation.”
The London Observer

His films exposed a real world of raw life like no others. His career inspired a generation of British actors, writers and directors that changed cinema forever. In the years following his untimely death in 1990, Director Alan Clarke has remained one of the most influential and controversial talents of our time. THE ALAN CLARKE COLLECTION brings together his greatest works, most never before seen in America until now.

Each film in THE ALAN CLARKE COLLECTION has been fully restored from original UK master materials. Extras include interviews and all-new commentaries by such celebrated colleagues and protégés as Tim Roth (RESERVOIR DOGS), Ray Winstone (SEXY BEAST), Phil Daniels (QUADROPHENIA), David Leland (MONA LISA), Margaret Matheson (SID & NANCY) and Danny Boyle (TRAINSPOTTING).

SCUM (1977)
Starring Ray Winstone, Phil Daniels, David Threlfall. Written by Roy Minton. Produced by Margaret Matheson. Clarke's graphic indictment of British juvenile prisons made for – and subsequently banned by – the BBC.

SCUM (1979)
Starring Ray Winstone, Phil Daniels, Mick Ford. Written by Roy Minton. Produced by Clive Parsons and Davina Belling. Clarke responded to the banning of SCUM by remaking it as a shocking, uncompromising theatrical feature.

MADE IN BRITAIN (1982)
Starring Tim Roth, Eric Richard, Terry Richards. Written by David Leland. Produced by Margaret Matheson. Tim Roth in his stunning film debut as a ferocious, teenage skinhead on a rampage through Thatcher's grim empire. Music by legendary UK Punk band The Exploited.

THE FIRM (1988)
Starring Gary Oldman, Lesley Manville, Philip Davis. Written by Al Hunter. Produced by David M. Thompson. Gary Oldman gives a blistering performance as a middle-class family man who leads a violent gang of soccer hooligans.

ELEPHANT (1988)
Produced by Danny Boyle. The stark study of eighteen separatist killings in Northern Ireland.

DIRECTOR: ALAN CLARKE (1991)
Directed by Corin Campbell-Hill. In this posthumous documentary Clarke's brilliant legacy is explored via revealing interviews, rare behind-the-scenes footage and more.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
My copy should be here by the weekend, and I can't wait. It seems absolutely no-one is remotely interested in this release (as far as I'm aware, there has yet to appear a single review), which is a phenomenal shame. These are easily the finest films Blue Underground have yet to release, but they're also not exploitation in the slightest which may have alienated much of the label's fanbase. They're deadly serious socio-political films about many difficult issues of late 70s and 80s Britain (borstal prisons, the Northern Ireland "troubles", the ongoing problems of football hooliganism and neo-Nazism) and the sheer force and power of them is overwhelming. This is genuinely the sort of set I'd expect Criterion to put out.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I'm very interested in these titles (after reading this post and a review in the Detroit Free Press earlier this week) but the price is a bit high for a blind purchase for me.

Glenn D

Agent
I got mine on pre-order, haven't seen any of the films but they sound great! It is kinda expensive and i was going to hold off but after watching the trailers on the BU website i caved in. Hopefully i'm in for a treat.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
When I was back in the homeland in May I picked up a cheap copy of The Firm. I had seen it on its original transmission, and was delighted to find it as strong a piece today as I remember.

Shortly after, I found out about this Blue Underground set, and was definitely fired up by my "Firm" screening. While these films are unlikely to ever look too good, it'll be interesting to see what Blue Underground have done with them. I'll compare my cheap UK "Firm" to BU's version and comment here.

Was suprised to see in Newbury Comics (New England small chain) ONE copy of Star Trek Season One next to THREE copies of Alan Clark Collection! I thought it would be keepcases in a slipcase, but its actually a fold-out in a slip. Looks nicer in real life than I thought. Made me eager for mine to arrive!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
John Hodson, I ordered from DVD Pacific for around £37.50. I'm just hoping that I don't get a customs charge. Like Mr Robertson, I should have it by saturday.

It looks like a great, great set.

Mike Leigh's hilarious Meantime is availabe cheap from Carlton in the UK. Good transfer. Good companion piece to Made in Britain, which is also available from Carlton.

I can't wait to get stuck into it. I'm The Daddy now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks