What's new

Akai 30" 16:9 CRT for $499 at Sams Club (1 Viewer)

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Matson, IL. is the closest store to us that carries this model. I wish they would have FREE Shipping. $99.00 to ship is CRAZY.

Beau

Tomas Baker

Auditioning
Hey, anyone know where I can purchase this? The link on SamSClub doesn't work - just keeps refreshing. I am really interested and this is perfect for me and my budget. HELP!!!

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Only some stores carry this model in stock.
The Sams web site is the last place I saw it over a week ago.

Shipping for it on the web page is $99.00 WOW

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I find it hard to believe that it is 16:9 and only 480i. I would think it could likely be 480p, which isn't HDTV, but SDTV. That would still be a great deal for the price.

JamesPGH

Auditioning
I must say, from the first time I saw this on display here at the Pittsburgh Sam's last week, I couldn't stop thinking about it ... a widescreen for $500. Have prices finally come down to the average person's level? I hate watching The Osbournes and seeing $5000 flat 16:9 plasma screens in every room -- and they probably don't even care about the resolution or dimension. They probably only got them because "its the thing to do."
Well, I can't afford a plasma 16:9, but a tube 16:9? That's more like it.
So I went to see it in person (again) at Sam's today at lunch. I wanted to see the remote and manual, and when I asked, the guy looked at me like I was talking Greek. All I wanted was to see the display model's manual and remote. I wanted to actually "use" the tv before I bought it -- rather than just "looking" at the display model. I wanted to go into the menus and see what I was getting. My Sam's had their display TVs up on a 5 foot shelf -- just out of reach. I couldn't use the buttons on the TV.
After some persuasion, the guy finally went back to locate the manual and remote. I mostly wanted the manual to get the actual dimensions of the set. On the price tag, it said it was 38"W, 26"H, 25"D (and the AkaiUSA website is no help with specs). But right next to it was a Panasonic 4:3 that, too, was 26"H, and it looked A LOT taller, so I must assume one of the tags was wrong. Unfortunately, the manual's dimensions were in millimeters, and not living in Canada, they meant nothing to me. (The headroom where I was to put it was 25".)
And to top it off, the remote had no batteries, so that, too, was worthless. (And so was the Sam's employee, for that matter.)
I finally decided not to get the unit. I need to do some more research before I get a TV, and just not get the one that caught my eye on display.
There was an Akai 4:3 27" TV right next to this Akai 16:9. That unit's remote was out and had batteries, so I fooled with it while the sales guy was out back looking for the 16:9's manual and remote. It had a 16:9 mode, and 800 lines of resolution (here's the specs: http://www.akaiusa.com/products/cf2791.htm ). It was only $350.
I began thinking ... the only reason I liked the 16:9 set was because it was 16:9. It really had no "frills" (but not getting to use the remote, I can't know this for sure). The 27" seemed to have more bells and whistles, for $150 less. Sure, it wasn't a "cool" 16:9, but it had a "16:9" mode (and it didn't seem to weigh a ton like the 16:9 set -- I would have had to draft 2 of my friends just to get that set out of my Jeep.)
So, I walked out empty handed and $500 richer. But I'll continue to research what I want.
Any suggestions for a 30" or smaller set on a budget of under $500?

david*mt

Second Unit
Is the 30'' WS Akai much bigger than the 27'' flat screen. I am looking to get one for my dorm room, but am limited on space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks