What's new

AIRPORT (1 Viewer)

L BENDER

Agent
Real Name
larry
I remember seeing Airport at the Radio City Music Hall in TODD-AO when it first came out and was very impressed with the TODD-AO image. Do you think the TODD-AO elements still exist, and if so who might have them. It would be nice to see a new 65mm transfer onto dvd someday, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Universal should hold the 65mm original negative and the 4/6-track stereo audio mixes. I thought that the dvd release could have been a lot better.
I also remember vividly seeing "Airport" at the Odeon, Leicester Square, London in 1970. I had no prior knowledge that the film was shot in 65mm. It was a big surprise when the film started. I recall the vivid clarity of the snow flakes during the opening credit sequence and Alfred Newman's marvellous score in the wonder of 6-track stereophonic sound!
When the day arrives of a blu-ray release, I hope Newman's score will be available as a 5.1 isolated track.

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr
I saw it in Houston in the middle of the summer and was just blown away by the snowy runways. The current DVD of Airport isn't near as good as what I remember. The Airport sequels and "AirPLANE" took some of the greatness of this film away but it was a huge box office winner! I'd love to see Universal really spend some time on restortation of this film.

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
The good news , this is being screened as I type this on channel 4 hd in the uk,the bad news , is that after the opening credits ,they have changed the aspect ratio from 2:35:1/2:20:1 aprox to 1:85:1,makes the split screening very tight. Apart from that,the picture looks great.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

WHAT ?! I wonder who on earth produces cropped version of widescreen movies even in this day. Wasn't it also Universal that released a severely cropped DVD version of El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire in the UK ?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Radio City Music Hall had to be retooled to show Airpport. It was the first 70 mm film they ever showed, so the equipment and six channel stereo had to be installed.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
You obviously haven't been watching any of the Cinemax HD channels. They crop 'Scope films all the time.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I have had the displeasure to hear of these practices.

But channel 4 in the UK is different in so far as they usually show things in the original aspect ratio, including movies in scope and 4:3 ARs.
So somebody must have gone through the trouble to supply them with a cropped master - horrible !

PaulTalbot

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Does anyone know the reason for the disappointing quality of the R1 Universal DVD of AIRPORT?

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
My understanding is that AIRPORT is going to be released on bluray in September. Does anyone have any insider info if the transfer will be from the TODD-AO elements? It would really be nice if Universal went the full nine yards on this release. Will we see SWEET CHARITY anytime soon? Maybe someone with industry contacts could get an answer about the TODDAO question.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Love this film. Hopefully it gets the best treatment and is released in the highest quality possible. Spawned a lot of really lousy disaster films, all way over the top as far as believeability. Airport was classy, original and suspenseful. A bit dated now with all the flying rules, but still a great film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks