What's new

Air Force One uses odd 2-sided labeling? (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Just curious, but does anyone else have a copy of Air Force One (one side is P&S, the other Widescreen) that can check something?

Usually on these two sided disks, the label around the ring describes what is on the opposite side of the disk, just as if the disk were one sided with a decorative label. Thus if you see Widescreen on the ring, the data on the opposite side will be the widescreen movie.

With my Air Force One disk however, this doesn't seem to be the case. Just wondering if its an oddity, or if all of them are like this.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I've got the version you have...in the player right now actually. The widescreen label is up and the player is playing widescreen.

As long as you know which side is which, I don't see how this is an issue for you if you got a mislabeled copy.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I know there is more than one movie with this oddity besides Air Force One. I also have a movie like this and I have to look on the numering on the disc, side A ends with A and side B with B. I forget the name of the movie though.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. It's probably an oddity. I bet that the labels got pressed on the wrong side.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
As long as you know which side is which, I don't see how this is an issue for you if you got a mislabeled copy.

Not a real issue... just a small irritation to have the movie start with the rant about being resized for my television when I was expecting widescreen. :/

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The widescreen label is up and the player is playing widescreen.
That's how its supposed to work, and if that's what's happening you don't have a disc labeled the same way Danny's is.

The player actually reads the side of the disc that is "down" when you load it in the player. Therefore the label on "top" should go with whatever is on the opposite side of the disc. That is, in order to play the widescreen side, you should have the widescreen label "up".

It seems that some of the discs must have been mislabeled. I have a vague recollection of reading about such a problem when the film was first released. IIRC my copy was fine, so I never gave it a second thought.

Regards,

Joe

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
My copy of As Good as it Gets is also like this. The Full Frame label facing up and still I get anamorphic video. Interesting note though that the full frame version isn't full frame at all, but a 1.66:1 widescreen transfer (non anamorphic).

Real Name
Michael Shisler
My copy of the OOP Dawn of The Dead Director's Cut is like this. When I first bought the disc several years ago I popped in the disc on side 1, and I see a scene half way through the movie playing. It's a flipper with the sides labeled wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks