What's new

Air Cleaners: Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm sick and tired of always having to dust in my house. I get dust constantly on all of my table tops and other furniture. And my Wega is a veritable dust magnet. I can kick myself for not getting a whole house air cleaner when I got my furnace and a/c replaced four years ago, but that's water under the bridge now. I assume a lot of this is due to my dogs because there's a lot less dust in rooms where they are off-limits. If anyone has some suggestions for good whole room or shared room air cleaning units, I'd appreciate it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
why not have an electronic air cleaner installed now? Depending on your ductwork it isn't usually a lot of work, half a day and maybe 600 bucks or so for parts.
They really are worth it IMO.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Don't get an electronic air cleaner, they emit ozone like crazy, that's not what you want or need.

I would recommend a large pleated filter forced air solution, it should be easy to add such a cleaner to your existing ductwork, call the company that installed the new system.

I think you'll still have to dust though. :)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
If you've got a basement, you might consider getting a dehumidifier as well. I went through a number of air cleaners after not being able to sit in my basement HT for any length of time with out sneezing...none of them did a thing. After 3 days of the dehumidifier, I haven't sneezed since.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
EAC's have been around for 20 years, I have yet to hear of anyone dying or becomming sick from one.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...a dehumidifier would cut down on mold and mildew. Great if you have allergies! Of course, I'd be crazy to get one, since it never goes above 30% humidity in Alberta anyways. :)

As for the dusting, get a wife! ;) :) :D

(then you can split the dusting chores! haha)

Dogs...they are walking dust mops. Have you tried bathing them every couple of days? Sad to say, but getting rid of pets cuts down on dust accumulation by several orders of magnitude. Otherwise, prepare to buy boxes and boxes of Swiffer wipes, and get a vacuum cleaner that can handle the hair volume.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Does your furnace/AC blower have a filter? It should. Quit using the el-cheapo fiber-spun filters, and start using- http://www.3m.com/intl/ca/english/ce...aallergen.html
It made a world of difference. This assumes, of course, that your forced air system runs occasionally.
Also, if your vacuum uses bags, make sure to use the "HEPA" or "Allergy" bags, as these tend to catch the dust a lot better, rather than "redistributing" some of it.
My dog (beagle) gets a bath once a week, and we vacuum at least twice a week.

All this keeps the dust WAY down, as compared to when we first moved into the house.

Todd

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Dogs...they are walking dust mops. Have you tried bathing them every couple of days? Sad to say, but getting rid of pets cuts down on dust accumulation by several orders of magnitude. Otherwise, prepare to buy boxes and boxes of Swiffer wipes, and get a vacuum cleaner that can handle the hair volume.
Bathing them every couple of days is detrimental. Dogs have essential oils secreted by their skin and frequent bathing makes their skin dry and itchy. If I had to choose between no pets and a house full of hair and dust, I'll gladly opt for Swifter sheets and vacuum cleaners.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, frequent bathing is rather extreme. :)

Hmm, wasn't there a thread many months ago talking about the best vacuum cleaners? Hopefully that will take care of the shedding (dust traps). The swiffers are very convenient for keeping the DVD collection and HT equipment clean, among other things.

How about brushing the dogs? That could be helpful too.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I am testing the Envirosept Filter right now. It fits in your regular filter housing, produces no Ozone and filters far more than the best 3M filter available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks