Ahhh!!! There's a tiny spider inside my RPTV! Can this hurt it?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Inspector Hammer!, May 4, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Just a second ago, I saw something crawling on my tv screen, it wasn't until I got up to the screen that I noticed, to my horror, that this tiny little insect was on the INSIDE of my screen!

I tapped my finger where the spider was and he fell off the screen, but now I fear he's inside the guts of my tv and could cause all sorts of mayhem! [​IMG]

Should I be worried?

Damn bugs! [​IMG]

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Well....in short yes. Open the set up and look for little bugger. If u don't do anything, expect cobwebs messing with the PQ of ur RPTV. I had a similar situation, I found the critter, "removed" it, then for good measure sprayed some insecticide in various possible entry points around the set. That kept would be squatters out.

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

What, did you just finish watching Spider-Man?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

We get threads about this topic almost on a monthly basis now. Chances are the spider will not harm anything, and its lifespan will run its course.

5. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Eric,

I decided to take your advice and open up my cabinet for two reasons, 1 was to see if I could locate the little sucker and get it out of their, and 2 was that i've been meaning to crack open my tv to clean the mirror and color guns for some time now, the spider gave me the perfect excuse to do it.

I saw no trace of the spider, but man, was my mirror and guns dusty! [​IMG]

6. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Do a search on spiders and see how many people have had this problem its been more than a few. Good luck finding it.

7. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Mike,

i've got the situation well in hand, this isn't the first tv i've cleaned. In this instance, I didn't use any cleaning solutions at all, simply a dry, soft, clean piece of cotton teri cloth and wiped the mirror and guns very gently. The biggest difference I saw, as usual, was in the black level, it appeared less foggy and deeper than it did before the cleaning.

As for the spider, it's a needle in a haystack, the sucker was only as big as a pencil point, so I knew that finding it would be difficult if not impossible. I'll keep an eye on things for awhile and keep checking the inside of my cabinet for webs. It was no sweat opening the cabinet, I simply removed the particle board on the back and the guns were staring me in the face, easy.

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter