What's new

Ah, the joys of being unemployed (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
No but I may possibly move back with my mom down in San Diego. She has a nice, clean spread up there in the North County. A big difference from the filfth of L.A.

Presently and have been since 1996 in my present apartment and 1989 in L.A. living on my own I have. I took a trip to Europe recently and I wouldn't mind moving there. So San Diego and my mom's place might be a stopover. Like Amsterdam to Stockholm.

I have a literal world of options and it feels good.

Fuck a job. For now. As in this week. :D

Johnny_M

Second Unit
theres always a your vs. you're guy in every forum. dont you annoy yourself by correcting everybody all the time? and i was actually referring to gary dee, since most live at home guys drive nice cars and take many vacations, while the rest of us actually work to make a house payment.

Johnny

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear about your employment challenged moment Philip_G, but Im sure you'll bounce back soon. As I look back on my chain of jobs/careers, getting fired/laid-off/quiting/whatever, eventually lead me to where I'm at now; Unemployed, In Greenland! Seriously though, I'm much better off now after all of career changes, and I'm probably not done yet. I don't know if Golden is too far of a commute for you, but if you're interested in government work I can see whats available at Jeffco for you. Where else can you get a decent paycheck, good benifits and have the entire county hate you??:D Good luck to you in your job hunt whatever it may be, you just have to ask your future employer one question, "do you have internet access?".:D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Well I can claim to have moved out at 18 and not turned back. Not yet anyway. I'm a wacky single type of guy that lives in apartments and works... just not right now.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
golden would be about 43 miles, I25 north, to 470, then all the way up :eek:
depending on the hours it might not be so bad :D

KyleK

Second Unit
I saw a lady at work today wearing a button (that's right, wearing a button) that read "Self Unemployed"

Yep, pretty soon you'll be so bored you will start making buttons for yourself.

Be happy, though, I work at a movie theater, and aside from limited free movies, it sucks. Half my managers (there are quite a few) are grade-a assholes and I have to deal with the general public.

Expendable surplus income is overrated. (looks at paycheck and jumps for joy)

Kyle:D

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Philip_G,
What kind of work do you do?

I got layed-off from Martin Marietta in early 92 after 8 years with them. Found out we where going to have our son 2 weeks after I got my notice.

19 months of being unemployed was a BITCH!! Finally found a job in Golden and commuted 186 miles every day from the Springs. I would have killed for a 43 mile commute!!

Good luck in your job search.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
wow, all kinds of replies I missed.
well, I had the FIRST freaking interview after about a month or 6 weeks and I think they'll offer it to me, just dunno what it pays yet.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Hey, Philip,

The second real kick in the teeth life dealt me was graduating college in 1974....right in the middle of the recession caused by the Arab oil embargo. I ended up working as a stockroom flunky, UPS pre-loader, Pizza Inn "manager-trainee", forklift driver, inventory "manager", production co-ordinator, and probably a few more I forgot about, before I finally got a decent job. :)

Keep trying, and good luck.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I graduate college just as soon as I get several hours of internship time but what's the rush? This is my last summer where I don't have to work 5 days a week. :cool:

*goes back to playing Doom 3 in parents' basement*

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

the kicker is I probably spent more on my useless education than you did on vet. medicine, and you've got a career :)
I don't know if I could be a vet though. Dealing with dogs shouldn't be too bad, it's the people that would drive me up a wall ;)

I did get a job offer off that place, it's a little different than what I've done in the past, but it pays about what my last job did, perhaps a little more depending on how things go, incentives and all.
the bad news is I'll be back to working nights, overall I think it'll be kind of fun, different, and seems like a great place to work. It's a small company which means *drumroll* NO HR DEPARTMENT!!

No more "I have 8 different bosses bob"

:D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Not sure how much help I can be, but anything I know I'll definitely share!
What are you looking for? and how desperate are you? I got a call from a staffing place about something, but didn't call them back since I have this other one lined up, it's probably some shitty tech support job... HP is staffing a call center in CO. Spr. but the pay sucks (I'm in castle rock so it's not a bad drive for me) visa is hiring customer service people in highlands ranch if you're REALLY desperate :-
jeppesen in englewood has a few various positions open, they're on their homepage.
Aurora PD is looking for cops I was actually that desperate for awhile...
My strategy has been shotgunning monster.com I dunno how well it's worked, this is the first and only interview I got, and it took almost 6 weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks