What's new

Ah...new PowerBooks (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
FINALLY I can replace my aging PowerBook with a new one as the re-designed 15-inch models made they're long awaited debut in Paris today. And for those that haven't heard, Apple also released a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse as well. :emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Having never owned a PowerBook before, just curious...isn't titanium better (lighter, stronger) than aluminum? If so, why has Apple redone their entire PowerBook line in aluminum?

I've long replaced my stock mouse with Logitech's MX700. I was perfectly happy with the stock mouse, but when I switched to the MX700, I was dumbfounded with how much better it can be - much faster and smoother action on the wireless MX than the wired stock plus the ability to map many functions to the MX.

Ergonomically, the MX is a joy to hold, where the stock was awkward in retrospect. Most importantly, the scroll wheel on the MX is indispensible - no more hunting and pecking at the GUI scroll bar. Usually, I find Apple's industrial design inimitable, but after switching to the MX, I learned that its mouse fall far short. I'd be surprised if Apple's bluetooth mouse can compare favorably to the Logitech.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The new powerbooks are nice. I'm tempted to get a new 12" model as soon as I have some spare cash (which may be in a few weeks, we'll see!). I ordered a bluetooth keyboard this morning to go along with my dual G5 system, when that arrives. I'll be using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse with the system as well. Ahh, no wires (except for ethernet, firewire, power and video, of course :) )

Peter, the aluminum powerbooks are really nice. I don't think there is a huge difference between the metals when you're making laptops out of them.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I don't think there is a huge difference between the metals when you're making laptops out of them.
You're probably right, Don. But given the amount of portability/mobility, I still wonder why they didn't stick with the greater strength-to-mass titanium instead of switching to al.

I clicked over to the Apple site and peeked at the new mouse/keyboard. The keyboard looks intriguing, but the new mouse is sad. While the implementation of Bluetooth is nice, the features are nil. Plus they've kept the same design - while this can be a plus for left-handed users, at the same time it's a compromise. And at $69, it's overpriced.

I just don't understand why Apple doesn't incorporate a scroll wheel? Am I the only one that feels it is vital to efficient and effective navigation?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Most likely, they will not incorporate a scroll wheel because it's a mechanical device and they would want to make a scroll with no moving parts. Does the Kensington have a track pad scroll? If Apple were to put a scroll on a mouse, it would have to be like that. Kind of like the scroll wheel on the new iPods, but smaller.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I think at $69 neither is a bad deal. Consider I paid $130 for an oversized MS bluetooth mouse kit just this past May because it would work with the built-in bluetooth of my PB. None of the additional button of course worked (no "bluetooth-overdrive" prog avail and no MS driver). Plus it is too big to travel with.

Although I use a trackball for my main comps, the current "entire mouse is the button" optical mouse is really an ease on wrist after a few days of long hours.

he new powerbooks are nice. I'm tempted to get a new 12" model as soon as I have some spare cash (which may be in a few weeks, we'll see!).
Go for the 15. DVI, FW800, Better Graphics, Gigabit Ethernet, PC Card and Cache.

Self Edit: The NEW 12" gets DVI!!!! For a reason likely secondary to the pathetic video card chip on the old model it didn't have DVI. Who knows, my 12" flame thrower may die before the years up if I keep using it and get replaced with a new model. Hopefully, the heat issue has been fixed bynow.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Just what I've been waiting for with the PowerBooks.... Bluetooth and a lower price. :)

Quoth the Peter Kim:
I've long replaced my stock mouse with Logitech's MX700. I was perfectly happy with the stock mouse, but when I switched to the MX700, I was dumbfounded with how much better it can be - much faster and smoother action on the wireless MX than the wired stock plus the ability to map many functions to the MX.

Ergonomically, the MX is a joy to hold, where the stock was awkward in retrospect. Most importantly, the scroll wheel on the MX is indispensible - no more hunting and pecking at the GUI scroll bar. Usually, I find Apple's industrial design inimitable, but after switching to the MX, I learned that its mouse fall far short. I'd be surprised if Apple's bluetooth mouse can compare favorably to the Logitech.
I have the MX 500 (identical to the 700 except the 500 has a cord), and I LOVE IT. It replaced the now-retired origal IntelliMouse Explorer I had (IMHO, the new design sucks), and I think the 500 is a marked improvement. Now I know my mediocrity in CS is the result of my poor abilities and not my mouse. Highly recommended for anyone who's tired of cleaning out their old non-optical mouse or unhappy with Microsoft's designs.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Go for the 15. DVI, FW800, Better Graphics, Gigabit Ethernet, PC Card and Cache.
The new PowerBooks do away with the L3 cache on all models. However, they all now have twice the L2 cache (512K). It will be interesting to see some benchmarks and see how this affects performance. I have a feeling it will be a mixed bag. On the bright side, there is now a BTO for a 80GB 5400 RPM HD on the 15 & 17.

-Keith

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Joseph, I'd be puchasing the 12" for the size. I have a second revision G4 Titanium Powerbook, and while it's a great laptop, it's a bit too big for me to use comfortably on my daily commute (I take the train to work, I don't drive :) ).

Keith, you can also BTO that hard drive in the 12" model as well. I miss the days when installing a hard drive was a consumer viable option. Too many screws nowadays. (whoops, it's actually a 4800 RPM 80gb drive. Still, it's big)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I miss the days when installing a hard drive was a consumer viable option.
We have our own Mac techs and taking those Powerbooks apart is pretty tedious and not to be trifled with. That's one of the things your give up for the thinness and feature rich powerbooks. To add the Airport card in the TiBook you had to take all those screws out of the bottom, take the think piece of titanium off. Getting it back on is a challenge since the Ti is so flexible and easily bendable...

On a side note, IBM brought some Thinkpads in to assess and they were some of the most obscenely large, bulky, and cumbersome things I have ever seen. But I bet you its easy to put a hard drive in! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks