After Bionics, What Time-Life should do?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JamesSmith, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski Second Unit

Scott
    I wish they'd release a complete set for Little House On The Prairie. The sets that are out have mostly cut syndicated episodes, pretty terrible picture and sound quality, and only a few special features on some of the last sets put out. I'd also like to see a complete Lost In Space since the sets Fox put out are sorely in need of an upgrade too!

2. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

Batman. It's just like the SMDM. It would be perfect as a premium product aimed at the fan and collector market - in fact, I can't really imagine it being done any other way now. Maybe seasonal boxsets to the general market would have been doable five years ago, but not now.

The rights issues are of course horrendous, and even more labyrinthine than those which held up the bionic series for so long, but I wouldn't say they are impossible.

I am sure that Time Life have deep enough pockets, the main issue is whether they calculate that the sets would be profitable enough.

If the SMDM premium set does well, then that points favourably towards a Batman set from a marketing viewpoint.

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

One thing in favour of T-L releasing a potential Batman set is that they are a third party. I can't see WB agreeing to let Fox do the DVD release, nor can I see Fox allowing WB to do it (since each company would probably want a larger share of the pie for doing the DVD production), but perhaps when/if legal issues can get resolved, the sensible compromise would be to have a third party like T-L do the home video release as a premium exclusive and let WB and Fox simply collect a (perhaps equal) percentage of the proceeds, with none of the risk/overhead of having to manufacture the physical product (or clean up the masters, if T-L were to end up having to do the remastering).

Since so many parties have interests at stake with Batman, perhaps one way they can justify such a release being worthwhile would be for it to be a permanent T-L exclusive. By keeping it out of retail (except for special TV offers), they could keep the price up at the normal T-L price point. I normally wouldn't advocate this, but with Warner, Fox, the Dozier estate (Greenway) and perhaps other interests wanting a slice of the pie, I imagine a high-price-point (like $199) complete series release would be the only way that all parties might be happy and might sell even better if the public were told beforehand that it was never going to be sold in stores, to keep people from 'waiting a year' for the general release.

Also, if T-L were given the chance to do it, they would be less-tempted to snip out the 'next week's villains' promos, ABC Color presentation logos and "Batman: In Color" slides and vintage 20th Century Fox endboards that often get dropped and/or replaced in syndication these days.

4. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Hill Street Blues or St. Elsewhere would be worthy and not real difficult to do, given that there are virtually no music issues to gum up the works.

But if you really asked me what, in my heart of hearts, regardless of the likelihood, I would love to see -- even more than Harry O -- it's the old Richard Crenna series "Slattery's People."

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    St. Elswhere does have music rights issues.

The season one dvd has replacement music and the tapes CH released 10 years ago where also altered, I think they put out the first 3 seasons on tape.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

I would kill for those. If they can clear the music for St. Elsewhere (and there was a fair amount which was mostly soundalike covers as well as Austin Pendleton's character of Mr. Entertainment from season 2.)

If they can do those, maybe they can try the least butchered WKRP in Cincinnati set possible?

7. AndyMcKinney

If it weren't for the fact they're hour-long episodes (and would therefore, probably be too massive for one set), I'd advocate for them doing Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In.

8. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes

Hello? Hello in there! The Six Million Dollar Man and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. were hour-long shows as well! Balderdash on R&M's LI being "Too Massive" for one set!

9. AndyMcKinney

Yes, they're both hour-long shows, but the point I was trying to make was that Laugh-In ran for approximately forty more episodes than either UNCLE or Six Mill did. That's the only thing I can think of that might keep them from doing that show all in one set (would require more discs and might make the price too high).

10. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I totally agree about Batman. I think T-L would do a phenomenal job with it!

And because I know Sony will never do it, or do it right for that matter, I would like a complete series release of Bewitched with all the trimmings. T-L seems to be the ones who know how to utilize all the extras that come along with a TV show and Bewitched would have a TON of extras!

11. AndyMcKinney

Only problem with that, though, is that it's already widely available. I'd think there would be a much more limited market for a re-release than for something that has never been available (bearing in mind that I, too, would appreciate seeing a release that was done properly--i.e. the B/W episodes taken from B/W prints, rather than colourised ones with the chroma turned down, and with the proper original B/W sponsor openings rather than a B/W version of the season 3 opening, etc).

12. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Have there been any concrete rumblings as to whether Time Life will do a 2011 complete series set and, if so, which series it will be?

13. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    They should do GI Diary. They even own the program so there wouldn't be a license to acquire.

Was a popular WWII documentary series from the late 1970's. Each episode was dedicated to an event during the war and utilized multiple first hand accounts. Was narrated by Lloyd Bridges and was popular throughout the 1980's and 1990's (The Discovery Channel was the last to routinely air the series in the late 1990's before the network started it's downward plunge).

It ran for 31 episodes and really deserves a DVD release. Have very fond memories of this and would love to see it beyond scattered VHS fragments of it that I have. I try to email a representative once or twice a year over there just to remind them that they even own the series. Wish they'd do something with it.

14. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Asking for these shows that are chock full of music is just a pipe dream. If they wanted to clear the music on a show like WKRP or Wonder Years, it would cost millions. That's even assuming that they could get all of it, which is no sure thing as there are songs that are not able to be cleared at any price. And considering how much they paid to license SMDM, I'll be surprised if they're even still in business. No way they'll ever make their money back on that one. Talk about overpaying.

15. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure

Time Life owns a lot of music from those decades, and what they don't have they could probably make some deal with Rhino, Shout Factory and even Music Space.

16. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    How about releasing a Box Set of the two Saturday Morning Cartooms that are my personal "Holy Grails".

HOT WHEELS

SKYHAWKS

Both of these Gems came out in September of 1969 and ran for two seasons on ABC. In 1971 a "Do-Gooder" Children's Advocacy Group got the FCC to BAN these two series, claiming they were both "Overlong Commercials for Hot Wheels and Cessina Aircraft, respectively. I'd love to have these two out on DVD, several other Series these Buffons had "Banned" have been released on DVD.

17. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

None of the entities you mention own any music. The rights to songs are controlled by the publishers. Everybody you mentioned are just reissue labels. They don't own anything.

18. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Alas, this is true. Even if the artist agrees to a DVD release, the publishers can get in the way. A famous example is "Love & Marriage" from Married with Children- although Sinatra's recording was used for the first few seasons onn DVD, after a few years the publishers wanted a king's ransom, so Sony decided to create a new theme for subsequent DVD seasons. Not even the Sinatra estate could apparently change the publishers' minds........

19. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I'd still like to see it. I have not seen one complete episode since the early 70s. Does anyone think music rights get in the way of complete seasons? I don't actually recall that much popular music being used---it seemed like most of the songs were written for the show, but again, I haven't watched it in 40 years.

20. AndyMcKinney

I'm pretty sure most of it was written for the show (well, at least for the first 70 episodes, which were played several times on the Trio channel).