What's new

After 3 weeks of searching for a SuB (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
An STF-3 is essentially a VTF-3MK2 in 25hz tune.

VTF-3MK2 in 25hz tune is at least as good as the SVS 25-31 PC PLUS if you look at Illka's tests.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hate to say it, but Illka is smoking crack, and having read a number of the "discussions" and seeing them closed on nearly every forum, I can't honestly buy what he is sellling. I'm sorry to say, there seems to be a little bit of anti-SVS going on there... I'm not certain his outdoor tests are entirely representative of a sub's true capability.

My VTF-2 barely compared to my PB-10 I had and that was in my room, in the same spot, both calibrated by me and tested back to back a few times over a period of about a week. Above 25Hz, the VTF-2 could hang in max output, but anything below that and it was all over - the struggling was very apparent with low content. There is absolutely no way a VTF-2 will compete with a 25-31 Plus in room.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
JG

Didn't Curtis compare the VTF-3MKII to the 25-31 PC Plus? Or am I missing something?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Sorry, VTF-3, thought he said VTF-2. My mistake.

VTF-3 I can see coming closer, but I still didn't get the impression after hearing them that the VTF-3 was going to be in the same ball park as the 25-31 Plus. Having heard the 25-31PCi also, I'd say the VTF-3 is closer to that rather than the Plus. That is without testing though.

I'm not knocking HSU either, because I think they do make solid products and the MkIIIs are looking like they will turn the market on end again shortly.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jason

If you are serious about wanting strong response below 25Hz you should rule out the STF3. You should keep this decision between the VTF-3MKII and the VTF-3MKIII. And considering your mention of the downward facing driver if the 3-MKII, I would go with the 3-MKIII. The 3MKIII is very much like the HO and my HO is awesome. PM me if you would like to know more.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
John, I think you are letting the old VTF-2 you had influence your thoughts on the VTF-3MK2. :D

I truly do not doubt your impressions, but you just can't compare subs in different environments. Even in the same room, moving a sub less than a foot can change the room response. Illka's tests don't seem to correspond to your impressions.

Hsu and SVS...it is a leapfrog thing, I am sure SVS has something they are working on too. As for sound quality, I'll take Hsu's formula, but there is no denying that for output down deep, the two companies will go back and forth. At this point, the cost of the Hsu's make it a tough argument.

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
Well I can still say im totally confused, as I now find myself leaning both ways HSU and SVS. The 20-39 PCi seems like it would hold its own easily with the VTF3 MK2 from the looks of the pci's frequency response chart and stats, and it comes in a little cheaper. I have ruled out the STF3 already for the reason mentioned above.

The VTF3 MK3 is a steal at the intro price offered for the level of performance you get (according to Dr. Hsu) although with the additional cost of shipping it which is $90 compared to $53 for the smaller MK2 kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like I said before he told me this new sub will smoke the MK2, even though the amp and driver are the same. Increased cabinet size and larger ports seem to be the only difference between the two.

I have narrowed my selection down to 4 subs: HSU VTF3 MK2-VTF3 MK3-SVS PB12NSD-and the 20-39 PCi. I dont know how the hell Im going to decide. The 20-39 is tempting me with its low price, and the MK3 is making me drool at the thought of the overall production its capable of. They are all within a $100 of each other, so we will see.

As far as placement goes, I was in AWE last night as I decided to move my Onkyo 230watt 10" sub around a little. I tried it everywhere and it sounded like crap everywhere I put it, until I placed it next to my couch (slightly to the rear left of the couch to be exact) and O my God the difference was amazing. The low extension was 10 times better than anywhere else I had it before and it shook my couch as if I had shakers under the cushion. I was VERY impressed with its output in this position. I cannot begin to imagine what these subs im choosing from will do, almost scared.....ive learned now that placement is overall the most important thing. And now I know that even the smallest sub in terms of power and output that I had in mind would probably be very satisfactory for me. But who the heck wants satisfactory!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I feel your pain. My head is spinning right now. I have it narrowed down to the exact same subs. I just don't know what to do. I am really leaning towards the 20-39 PCI. I like the looks of the cylinders plus I can put one on each side of the room.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think it could suffice to say that you won't be disappointed with any of the subs you are looking to choose from :)

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox

How do you guys feel about SVS B Stock?? They dont discount the B Stock that much, am I just better off buying a new one, instead of taking a chance on something that possibly has been used before? Will they tell me the specifics of why its on the B STock list if I ask them (honestly)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Well, I just tossed the coin and it landed on the PB-12 NSD! Actually I had a little help with the coin toss. I just talked to Ron at SVS about the PB-12 NSD that I just demo'd on Tuesday. It was brand new the day I demo'd it and it has some very minor damage on the back of it due to UPS shipping. Anyway, I am getting it at b stock price and I don't have to wait for delivery. I get to pick it up at Ron's office after work today! I am now part of the SVS sub club. Can't wait to get home to play with it. I am beyond excited right now. :)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

As you can see in my post, I just purchased B stock and have no worries. I am pretty picky when it comes to my audio equipment too but the performance isn't affected at all and the damage is on the back where I won't notice it anyway.

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
Glad to hear youve came to a decision, really must be nice to hear it in a demo to help the process along, and getting it at a discount makes it all the better. SVS just put a 20-39 PCi on B Stock today $549, its looking attractive at that price

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
I Finally decided to go with the new intro HSU VTF3MK3, I know for a fact that this sub will impress, and with the added turbocharger upgrade that Im going to get, this believe that this sub will rival even the best that SVS has to offer, I will post feeback when I get this baby home and run some frequency through it.

steveKlein

Agent

it will rival ths Plus and Plus/2 for sure... but the Ultra/2... wow. Maybe not. (Then again the VTF-3 MKIII ain't $2000)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks