What's new

African Queen in October???? (Now taken off schedule; see post 31) (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Movies Unimited is announing the release of African Queen (as part of the Paramont Centennial Collection) for 10/13/09. Can not believe this is true. Finally!!!!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
It's about time, but do you have to buy a collection to get it? Do you have a link to more information about the release?

I currently have an R2 version. It would be interesting to see if they took some time to remaster it.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Even though I don't have a BR player yet. I would probably just as well wait for this one until I do. I've waited this long hopefully just a little longer will get me a BR release.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Weren't they doing some kind of big restoration on this one??

Anyway, it's about time!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
This is good news.
I hope Paramount will release a Blu-ray, but I'll be content with a region 1 DVD at the proper pitch.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I still think this is one of the coolest LD Boxsets ever released. Hardcover edition of Hepburn's book, shooting script, several lobby cards, big textured Green Box with Hepburn/Bogart dead center. Only cost me $65 in 1993

I hope the Blu Ray does that set proud.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Blu-ray day and date with the SD. This is Paramount we are talking about, so don't hold your breath. I love how they call this a Paramount Centennial Classic, since it was released by United Artists, but then Universal calls their Paramount films Universal Backlot Series. This is also the first Paramount Centennial Classic release that has not been previously released on DVD. Hope this is a sign of things to come, but then this is Paramount.

I am delighted with this news and cannot wait until it arrives. Thank you Paramount.

PS - You are right David about the laserdisc box being so cool. I may not get rid of mine even when the DVD comes out.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
This is great news! My guess is they'll do a DVD this year, and then start up a line of "Centennial Blu-ray Editions" to reissue this, and a bunch of Audrey Hepburn films, next year. :D

A Blu-ray of To Catch a Thief would be most welcome, we know that the Centennial Collection DVD (i.e. the THIRD reissue, excluding those in different packaging) version finally got it right.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
They usually release the Centennial Collection films in pairs, so I wonder what else (if anything) is coming out with it on that day.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
You know, if it was any other studio I'd stand by my original statement. But now after thinking about how it's a release from Paramount....

Other than The Godfather Trilogy they haven't exactly been releasing pre-80s catalog titles on Blu-ray. It would truly be a missed opportunity if they don't here.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Paramount absolutely loves reissues remember. So they'll do a DVD first, and then a Blu-ray a year or so later.

They don't have an ethos of just doing things as well as possible, given available technology, the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks