African Queen at Barnes and Noble?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_M, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Barnes and Noble lists a DVD of "The African Queen" on their website, claiming it was released in 2006. Is this a legit DVD or a public Domain copy? It's not from one of the big studios.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Crawdaddy

3. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    Notice that the subtitles are English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese.
    Looks like a Chinese rip-off to me.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Isn't it available on DVD in some other regions--just not Region 1?

5. Irina

Irina Second Unit

It is not available in Region 1. However, there are several official editions in other regions. I am aware of Region 2 (UK and Spain) and Region 4 (Australia) releases. Some of these are sold on amazon.com or can be purchased in their county of origin (amazon.co.uk, Comprar películas DVDs en DVDgo, Venta tienda online: Estrenos, Ofertas, Novedades, Series TV,, www.ezydvd.com.au). Also, check out Xploited Cinema - they specialize in non-region 1 releases and are located in the US. I think they ship to Canada and shipping will be less expensive that from Europe of Australia.

There are also 'bootleg' Chinese and Korean editions (usually Region 0 or region 3 - Korean). I would go with an official release.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yes, I have the Region 2 release from Carlton that I bought about 6-7 years ago. It's okay, but it's far from the PQ I hope for in a Paramount release.

7. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    That's the same Chinese import that has been available on Amazon for the past 20 months. It's legit, not bootleg. Personally, I will wait for a restored version in region 1.

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Although I would welcome a new transfer from the best elements there's no indication, that I'm aware of, that this is being done, nor in the planning stages. Meanwhile the region 2 is okay. Get the U.K. edition with cinematographer Jack Cardiff's commentary. It's a good commentary. If there's ever a region 1 edition there's no guarantee Cardiff's commentary will be included.

9. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

I've been tracking the 'development' of this title on DVD for many years. I also have the mediocre region 2 release with Cardiff's commentary. Paramount seems to have dropped the ball on this one and I don't hold out much hope of this being rectified in SD. It might, in some future reincarnation, come back to life in a high definition format -- if they actually pick up the restoration required...Would love to hear something more substantial. Perhaps RAH has some idea of where this stands and it's future prospects.

Joel

10. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Don't waste your money on purchasing these other DVD's TCM plays the movie on a regular basis and its a nice clean copy. I recorded it to DVD-R sometime ago and watched it the other day and was surprised how clear it was. Until a remastered version of African Queen is released in region 1 record the copy TCM broadcasts.

11. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

There's also a LEGIT Region 3 Korean DVD too. Cheap also and I just might cave in and buy it. Nope, it isn't a bootleg you non-multi region capable people who frequent this site. Only problem is the shipping I guess.

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I've taped it off TCM too, but I might get the R2 disc just for the Jack Cardiff commentary.