What's new

AFI’s Top 100 Films List Forum Challenge (Part 3) (1 Viewer)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
In the 14 months since I jumped on the challenge bandwagon, I've only managed to watch seven of my remaining thirty films. I almost watched eight, but I couldn't get motivated to watch Wuthering Heights before I had to delete it from my TiVo. It still lurks out there in my future somewhere.
My rough evaluations (admittedly affected by the passage of several months) of the films I've since watched are:
12. Sunset Boulevard (8.5/10.0)
16. All About Eve (8.5/10.0)
56. M*A*S*H (7.0/10.0)
69. Shane (6.5/10.0)
70. The French Connection (7.5/10.0)
81. Modern Times (6.5/10.0)
93. The Apartment (8.0/10.0)
Shane and Modern Times didn't win me over, although I recognize their place in cinema history. I think my appreciation of All About Eve will grow with future repeated watchings.
left to watch... (two of the most watched movies of all time - GWTW and Dr. Z - still not absorbed by my conciousness) I'll search TCM for broadcasts of them and I might complete the challenge sometime before 2005. :)
4. Gone With the Wind
14. Some Like it Hot
21. The Grapes of Wrath
35. It Happened One Night
37. The Best Years of Our Lives
39. Doctor Zhivago
44. The Birth of a Nation
45. A Streetcar Named Desire
52. From Here to Eternity
54. All Quiet on the Western Front
63. Stagecoach
72. Ben-Hur
73. Wuthering Heights
74. The Gold Rush
76. City Lights
80. The Wild Bunch
82. Giant
86. Mutiny on the Bounty
88. Easy Rider
90. The Jazz Singer (1927)
92. A Place in the Sun
99. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
100. Yankee Doodle Dandy
Brad

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Amadeus
Saw again after first visiting on its initial release. I enjoyed it much more the second time around, perhaps because I have developed a larger appreciation of classical music over the years.
Recently saw Kenneth Branaugh's Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and found it very interesting to see Tom Hulce as Clerval interacting again with Ian Holm, this time as Victor's father.
The frilly style of Mozart's era still bugs me. I would never have fit in.
Seen 100
Not seen: 0
Should see again: 5

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, would anyone be interested in another AFI based challenge for 2003? The AFI has three more lists of 100 movies: Laughs, Thrills, Passions. Obviously, there is some crossover with the AFI-100 Greatest list, but there are still enough films not on that list for a challenge.
AFI 100 Thrills: http://www.afi.com/tv/thrills.asp
AFI 100 Laughs: http://www.afi.com/tv/laughs.asp
AFI 100 Passions: http://www.afi.com/tv/passions.asp
Anyone up for this? And if so, any preference for one of these lists over the other two? (Obviously a new thread will be in order if there's enough interest.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks