What's new

Advise on new $1000 reciever (1 Viewer)

JohnnyC

Auditioning
I have an integra 7.1 and want to upgrade. I am looking at the Yamaha 2400 due to power requirements and multi zone control.
I need 2 zones for living room listening to music or movies and on the porch when I am in the hot tub.. I mostly listen to music > 80% so really stereo sound is my greatest import. I have 6-ohm Kef reference III for the front. They are beautiful and create a tremendous sound stage but are power hungry to produce their better performance in the lower end.
I would really like to hear from someone who has Kef's in front and listen to music on 'em.
Simply put, I wanted advice from someone that has been here and learned some lessons, which can save me money, time and or aggravation.

Shiu

Second Unit
If you search the hometheatermag site you can find reviews on a few receivers at around the $1000 price point. These include the HKAVR630, Denon AVR3805, Yamaha RX-V2400, and a Pioneer. You will be able to see which one has the most power (real power verified by bench test results) for your KEF. If you are still concerned about your hungry KEF reference speakers, like many of us here do, you can always get a 2 channel power amplifier to drive your mains. Most mid level receivers should have enough power to handle the center and surround channels.

ilyak

Stunt Coordinator
i would highly recomend the arcam avr300...awsome 2chn sound. Yamaha is a great choice, but would require good speaker cables to tame down the highs (found the kef's to be slightly bright)
my 2cent

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I don't think the 2400 has enough in the amp section to push your Kef Refs. I've heard the latest Kef Ref 201s hooked up to a Marantz 8400, and it sounds stellar. People will start replying that the bench tests on the 2400 are not real-world accurate, but I'd rather know my receiver can get the job done, then take a chance. Many people forget that really one of the main goals of a receiver is to driver speakers. When shopping for a receiver, I consider amp section at the top 1-2 on my priority list. I would think that a Marantz 7500 should do the job, or the new Elite 54TX. The Denon 3805 would work out as well. Don't get me wrong, I really like Yamaha source components, just not a big fan of their receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks