What's new

Advice on new BD player? (1 Viewer)

Diehardfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Re: Insignia BR players

Ive personally never owned one bit If you like LG players, you'll probably be happy with an Insignia. Its my understanding that LG makes the Insignia brand for Best Buy.

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I have an LG BD390, the up converting is outstanding and has saved me some money that otherwise would have been spent upgrading at least some of my DVD collection. As far as wifi is concerned, be aware that to stream video you will need a moderately fast broadband service ( 6-7mbps and preferably at least 10). Even on a faster wireless a,b,g, draft n band router you will only be able to get max 150 mbs. This should be enough for SD, but with many of the larger cable companies going to Docsis 3.0 true hi def streaming is just around the corner, Provided you are willing to pay for the faster Internet service. I have a d-link dual band gig router ( broadcasts a,b,g,draft n on 2 frequencies 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz ) the 5.0 can reach speeds of 300mbs but my BD 390 cannot read this band,( I don't believe a player on the market can read this band) so it was/is limited to the 2.4 band and had some minor quality issues even with SD video streaming , the router was only 15 feet from the player and is considered a very good and fast gaming router ( I was streaming from Netflix) I resorted to a hardwired Ethernet cable ( fed under the house) . My point is be very careful, if you are wanting to stream video there are many parts of a home network that can bottle neck a signal,not to mention the need for ample ISP broadband speed. I do not believe my problems where related to the player. I believe that streaming wifi video of any discernible quality is still in early stages and until players are able to receive the faster and cleaner 5.0 band, and ISP providers implement the newest broadband technology you will most likely run into some video quality issues. I chimed in hear because I learned all this the hard way. I was under the understanding that true HD streaming was possible, Its not, at least not in "bluray" terms,the problem is everybody has there own definition of Hi-definition some say 480i,some say 720P, and others (bluray) say1080i...Bottom line if you appreciate 1080i blu ray enough to buy the player,.. why would you stream anything less? I got my education the hard way..P.S. I also have a Motorola SB6120 modem 3.0 Docsis capable....very fast, I took every lag point I could find out of the system!!

Just food for thought, Chris

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I have not worked for Best b. since 2001. They get a bad rap that they do not deserve. We all got the same training, it's up to the employee to do with that what they want. These big co.s

do a lot of work & spend loads of money on training. I would never do customer service again.

I worked for movie theatres from 1964-1995. I was an usher @ a 2000 seat reserved seat theatre during Funny Girl.

I don't know if anybody remembers, but durning the mid 1960's we were asking people to sign against PAY TV.

against pay tv.

koufax

Auditioning
Real Name
Huckelsberry
LG doesn't make anything for Best buy i can assure you of that . Don't put them in that boat.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Thanks for all the replies. Based on my research, I'm leaning toward the Sony. I've read several places that it has shorter load times than most. That's one of my main problems with my Panasonic BD-30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks