What's new

Advice on a Good Sub for $250 (1 Viewer)

FrankieD

Auditioning
I'm upgrading my HT system. I have decided on a Yamaha RX-V1300 with Fluance SM/AV series speakers. Now I'm looking for a good subwoofer to tie them together. I want to stay under $250 for the sub. This is going in a enclosed tiled room, approx 17'x16', with several large peices of furniture and sofas. The split is 60% music, 40% movies. Any advice would be appreciated, but please don't suggest other components. With the budget and WIFE, this is what I can swing and still be able to replace them. (The HT components, not the WIFE :D ) Thanks in advance.

Frank....

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a JBL pb-10 from J And R for $199 and I have been very happy with it. It looks good and I am happy with the sound.
Greg

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
If something used interests you i have an Energy S8.2 for sale. Its about a year old, in excellent condition (as if it were new) with all original packaging and materials (including rubber feet). I paid $289 for it, would sell for about $150.00.

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with dustin. If you have the time and some skills, build one. With 250.00 you can have a sub that will easily compete with the 1000.00 big boys. For some ideas or questions check out the diy section in this forum.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
check out the velodyne CHT-10...Read the review in home theater magazine a few months back. I have the older ct-10 and I think it's great.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Tho this is not directed strickly to the sub, you mentioned your tiled room.

A Suggestion:
It's good that you have allot of furniture in their, but would recommend that you get a large throw rug of some sort to place out in front of the mains and think about some wall treatments of any sort. A book case, cloth pictures, anything that will help wih sound absorbtion and 1st point source refelctions.

If your already aware of this and working on it already, I'm very sorry to have brought it up.

If the room is void of some absorbtion treatments (aside from furniture) and has (nothing but hard surfaces everywhere else), the room will be "extremly live" and I doubt you will like what that dose to your systems sound quailty.

With your enclosed room that will be helpfull with subwoofer spl loss, but you may have to spend some time on placment due to your nearly square room dimensions.

I'll let the others continue to help with suggestions on a sub at your price point as I DIY all mine.

Good luck and enjoy your new toys..;)
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks