What's new

Advice needed greatly. PLEASE HELP! Your opinion is valued on new setup (1 Viewer)

Courthaven

Auditioning
Real Name
Rudy
Hello folks, I hope all is well out there. Recently I decided to upgrade my home theatre since 2 of my front speakers aren't working. I was looking this weekend at getting a Pioneer VSX-822 receiver and some simple Polk speakers from Best Buy (total approx $1000). Now keep in mind I am coming from a 10 year old Kenwood Home Theater in a Box setup. Tonight, I was in Best Buy where they have a deluxe Magnolia setup in my area and the salesperson told me that I could get 5 Martin Logan speakers and a Marantz receiver for about $1300. Considering he also offered me 36 month financing and the bookshelf speakers were listed at $250 a piece while the center and receiver were $400...I am thinking that this deal is a no brainer and I shouldn't pass it up. Please advise as I am not very knowledgeable on Marantz and Martin Logan, but I am thinking that they both would be better than what I was looking at. The Marantz receiver ie NR1403 and I believe the speakers are the Motion series. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a good one!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can get the much better Pioneer 1122 and some Polk Monitor 50 tower speakers from Newegg.com for about $600 with free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117411 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290270 Newegg also carries the Martin Logan series but not Marantz. Marantz is a nice receiver but so is Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, etc. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981006

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The components the Best Buy recommended weren't bad, but the price was too high, go with Sam's advice. Also, while Marantz makes nice receivers, the 1403 is a lower powered slimline, so if you are still tempted make sure you don't need the added power (which will depend on the effficiency of the speakers you wind up with and your room size).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can toss "cheap pricing" out the window...maybe. Best Buy will pricematch NewEgg, provided the NewEgg aren't refurb on the ML Motion. He also didn't discuss a subwoofer. You'll need one with the Motion 4. Any rate. Best Buy isn't going to "price match" and give 36/months no interest. If he doesn't have $600-$900 to drop all at once... $1300/36...isn't bad. Especially when the pricing already beats Amazon.

Courthaven

Auditioning
Real Name
Rudy
Thanks all. Yeah it is actually the Magnolia Home Theater store that is inside Best Buy. I just recently confirmed that they kind of run their own thing. Now as a result of the little bit of power I am thinking about upgrading to the Pioneer Elite VSX-42. This would bring my price up to $1441 with slightky smaller Martin Logan speakers in the back (Motion 2). I would be keeping my same Kenwood sub for now since I am in a townhouse and only need a little bit of base. How does this sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks