What's new

Advice! Help!: New Receiver Driving Me Nuts! (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I've been using a Sony STR DE-835 for a couple of years now--I'm happy with its DD/DTS performance but less than thrilled with its musical performance. I'm driving JBL S38II's in the front, N24's in the rear and a JBL HLS Center (no sub, my 2-year-old would use it as a table or worse).
So, I'm thinking it's time to get that high-current amp. I've listened to the Yamaha HTR-5550 and 5560, the H/K 125 and 225. Haven't auditioned the Onkyo or the Sony ES lines yet.
Any suggestions? Anything in particular to stay away from. Listening to my JBL S38II's at Best Buy in an acoustically abominable room hooked up to a Yamaha from a couple of years ago didn't impress, but I'm not using that as much of a litmus test for anything.
Advice? Suggestions? Help? This is driving me nuts!...
...Thanks in advance...:D

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Well first, welcome to the board Angelo ;)
Now if you could give us a budget on what your looking to spend, it would help us narrow down a selection for you.

Josh P

Agent
Hi, It does depend on the price your looking at but unfortunatly av recievers generally make poor musical performance. (I'm assuming you listen to music in 2 channel stereo). I've heard some good reviews about Marantz and Rotel AVR's being alright in music however and even Harmon-Kardon so give some of these a listen.

Josh

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your replies thusfar; good to be on the board.

I'm looking to spend $500-600, but am flexible if it means getting an order of magnitude of improvement. Of course, I'm also flexible in the other direction if I can apply money to something else, like an SACD player.

At any rate, the Yamahas which were recommended to me did not impress. I need some other good choices.

Thanks...

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
If you are looking for High quality music and good to better HT performance, you may want to look at the NAD line. The T751 and T761 receivers are going to be replaced any day now with the T752 and T762, Or so the word is. (NAD is notorious for late release of products) As HT receivers go, you will be hard pressed to find a more music oriented unit on the market. The T751 is around your upper limit, but you may be able to work a deal on the T761.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Angelo,

In your flexible price range check the H/K 320 and 520, Sony DA3ES, and Marantz 6200.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
This information has been really useful. I'm interested in the Sony 3ES. Any recommendations for reviews of it on the Web?

--AM

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Angelo,

Home Theater mag just did an excellent review last issue. The 3ES is very impressive and the 5ES is even more so but slightly out of your budget, I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks