What's new

Advice and opinions on home theatre system (1 Viewer)

PKSTPR

Auditioning
Real Name
Duncan
Good Evening and thanks in advance to any advice!

I'm fairly new to home theatre and excited to finally getting everything set up as we just moved into our first home!

Current set up:
TV: Samsung 60" series 6003 (2 HDMI in, 0 optical out)
DirecTV Genie DVR
XBox 360
Sony DAV-HDZ273 HTIB (soon to be upgraded)

Room is rectangular and roughly 12x14 open concept floor plan which opens into the kitchen/breakfast area with just a counter divider so rear/surrounds will be wall/ceiling mounted (not in-ceiling) they will be on a mount either from mounted from the ceiling or up high on a wall angled towards the listening area.

What I would like to get:
Pioneer 5.1 Andrew Jones package with floor standing fronts
Denon AVR E200

-route all devices (DirecTV, Xbox 360, new BlueRay player to AVR and HDMI out to TV
-problem is the Pioneer bookshelf speakers are very large and heavy and do not appear to be easily mountable. I have seen some universal mounts that will support the weight of those speakers but they do seem rather bulky and cumbersome to be wall mounted.

What I am considering now because of the issue with having to wall mount my rear/surround speakers:
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Denon AVR E200

-same routing
-size seems less cumbersome

Why I decided on those...
-Solely based on CNET reviews of sound quality and price. Since we just moved into our home, fridge, washer/dryer, furniture, etc, my budget for speakers will be around that of the Pioneer group around $550-600.

My questions are:
1.) I really like the look of the Pioneers and according to CNET's review they sound amazing but the issue with having to wall mount will not work; is it possible to use a different pair of rear/surrounds with that group that will still sound good?

2.)Other alternatives that are within my budget that will sound good?

Primary uses will be DirecTV, some Blue Ray/DVD movies, occasional Xbox game and very occasional music.

I will also be using either 16 or 14 gauge shield in-wall speaker wires to wire everything since I have easy access to the attic to drop the wires.

Will also be adding a monoprice 8 outlet power conditioner in the future too.

All suggestions are welcome, greatly appreciated and once again thank you all in advance!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I personally mount my Andrew Jones bookshelf speakers with macramé plant hangers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you get away from Pio AJ...BIC DV with DV52 rears.Polk Monitor with OW for rears.KEF KHT, E or if you raise the budget...T.Pinnacle with QP 3/5 rears.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I would look at going up to the Denon AVR E300 with audyssey. It would make your setup much easier as it does all the heavy lifting. I'm not saying the 200 is a bad unit but the automatic setup is very nice.

PKSTPR

Auditioning
Real Name
Duncan
Thanks for the advice!I've been doing research on the BIC and the KEF and like what I'm seeing! As for the plant hangar method...very creative but don't think that will work for me unfortunately and great point about the receiver having auto-calibration. I completely overlooked that and will definitely be looking for a receiver with some type of auto-calibration.Would love to hear more ideas or options! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks