What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion (1 Viewer)

Chris_A_Smithh

Auditioning
Shoulda posted this here first to get the expert replies...
Has anyone else noticed that after "Advent of Akira", the glossary for "Akira" is next but is shown as being continued or page 2, but there is no first page in the first place! How did they screw up on the most important word????

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Bob M.,
I don't know why people find it boring. Gasaraki is what Legend of Galactic Heroes is of the '90's. It is a very serious anime that makes you think and makes you wonder about the whole backstory and why this and that happens (w/o giving any spoilers away). There are about 10 episodes left in the series now that ADV has yet to release.
But do watch the opening intro animations, they change so often, it's pretty fun to watch. :)
And that's such a funny thing about your stepson being a J6P and not into anime. *laugh* Too funny. :)
---
Romier S,
Twilight of the Dark Master is a very good anime movie. The short premise of the story is (based on the backside of the DVD):
Since the beginning of time, monstrous Demons and noble Guardians have battled for Earth - the everlasting gift of the one great Mother, creator of all life. A deep hatred burns between Demon and Guardians; the Guardians prevented the Demons from destroying humanity and the world itself.
Eons later, Neo-Shinjuku City: few Demons or Guardians remain to continue their epic war. Humans rule the Earth, with no real memory of either Demons or Guardians. Yet deep within the dark underworld of the city, one supreme Demon is alive and plotting to subjugate mankind. Only one Guardian is left to do battle, and the fate of the human race is at stake.
The only thing is that it seems like an incomplete movie or is based on something because I wish there was more story about the demons and the guardians. But oh well, very nicely done, alone the lines of X: the Movie for animation quality, and visual effects are pretty stunning.
---

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Are Japanese TVs 16x9 now ?
I ask because I was in England back in October, and I went to a small TV and appliance shop in a mall in a small town, and even in that store (ie Joe Sixpack customers), all of the TVs were 16x9.
Is Japan the same, or do they still have mostly 4x3 like we have in the US?
I ask because very little anime is widescreen, and I realize that that may be because much of what we see and discuss here (like NGE) may be prior to such changes...
PS Speaking of NGE, I just rented 0:2, and in the first episode on the DVD, #5 in the series, there is a minute or two that won't track on 2 different players (such are the perils of renting, but I don't have $200 to spare on a series I haven't seen). It is at about 17 minutes, and covers from when Rei leaves her room, right after Shinji has entered unannounced, up until they are on the escalator in NERV. So, I'm interested if there is any dialogue in the missing minute - email me if you own the disk and have a minute (so that there aren't any spoilers posted in this thread). Thanks!

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Although Japan have had widescreen in the previous years, they never had HDTV until recently (like the U.S.). Now broadcasting on their HDTV and Satellite anime channel (Satellite anime channel is called WOWOW), there are some new widescreen anime.
Some recent widescreen anime series include:
Noir (26 episodes)
Earth Girl Arjuna (13 episodes)
Both got their premiere on R2 DVD in end of July. Noir comes in 13 volumes with two box sets (limited edition boxes, which comes with the 1st and 8th volume of the DVD to house all 13 volumes) (2 episodes per volume at 5800 Yen (~= USD$47) per volume), and Earth Girl Arjuna comes in 6 volumes and a box has yet to be determined (1st vol contains 3 eps, vol. 2-6 contain 2 eps each, 4800 Yen (~= USD$39) per volume). I have both of these first volumes, and the quality is amazing! Earth Girl Arjuna is also in 5.1 Dolby Digital only (no stereo is offered). Noir, albeit using HDTV masters, has Linear PCM (uncompressed audio) as its audio and it is very clean. Naturally, no subs are offered on R2 DVD series, but you get extra goodies in the DVD volumes, like little pamphlets and booklets and other stuff.
If there are more widescreen anime series, I will post them.
---
K. C.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Interesting info for sure, but I'm wondering whether their regular broadcast/cable channels are in 16x9 (like Europe) or 4x3 (like in the US)...

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ken,
Yes, there are widescreen regular broadcasts in Japan since most customers own widescreen TVs.
---
For those of you living near Hollywood:
Metropolis, a new film by Katsuhiro Otomo, who did Akira, will be showcasing this coming Friday, (and only on Friday), August 17th, at the Egyptian Theater @ 7PM. It will be subbed (the soon to be nationwide limited release will be dubbed) and in original Japanese. This movie is really new. It just started showcasing in Japan this past June, 2001, and this movie has been in production for the past 4 years or so.
This is a definite must see for those who are into anime.
R2 DVD has been announced for a December, 2001, release date. R1 DVD has yet to be announced, but I expect a mid-to-late 2002 release date.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Okay...here are some pics of the first 3 volumes of the R2 DVD of Escaflowne (these are not from the limited edition which was released in 1999, which was a gorgeous set, btw). These DVDs only have the director's cut and not the TV edits (R1 DVD only has the TV edits and not the director's cut). Only certain episodes were longer than 25 minutes and were cut down for time reason.
Anyway, for your enjoyment (and out of my sheer boredom at work), these are the coverart for the first 3 individually released of Escaflowne (seems like there is going to be only 7 volumes for the R2 DVD) (only 3 have been released so far, notwithstanding the limited edition boxset that is sold out and hard to find and acquire):
Escaflowne.jpg

K.C.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Who has seen Lain? I watched the first few episodes recently and really liked it. The animation is unusal and the storyline is farily intriguing. Very stylistic and brooding. My kind of stuff.
crazy.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Who has seen Lain? I watched the first few episodes recently and really liked it. The animation is unusal and the storyline is farily intriguing. Very stylistic and brooding. My kind of stuff.
I couldn't agree more.
icon14.gif
Right now, it is my favorite anime, although I haven't brought it up because I have only seen one disk! Disk Two was shipped from the rental store today, though, and I'm awfully tempted to buy it outright (which in the case of TV series I have only done so for The Prisoner and I, Claudius, which I consider to be the two best TV series ever).
If I could find the series with the lunchbox (at original store pricing), I might be tempted...
wink.gif

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Lain rocks! Very weird, but very cool.
Still waiting on El Hazard, Blue Seed and Photon.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have all 4 discs of Lain. Its a great series and I love it, second to my Evangelion though.
I saw some of Escaflowne and didn't think it was that good. It might have been the fact that I wasn't really watching it too closely and that I only saw a few minutes.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
quote: I saw some of Escaflowne and didn't think it was that good. It might have been the fact that I wasn't really watching it too closely and that I only saw a few minutes.[/quote]
Haha well, yeah that might have been one of the reasons you didn't enjoy it too much. Give it a chance. It's a great show, but some parts can be a tad slow. You may have been witness to one of these, rare, slow parts. And this time pay attention! :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"
"Look, all I'm saying is, if these big stars didn't want people going through their garbage and saying they're gay, then they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

[Edited last by Joe_C on August 13, 2001 at 08:54 PM]

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Kong,
You mentioned that Escaflowne R1 only has the TV edits...Is this correct? I just bought the first volume and will refrain from buying any more if this is true (and if what is cut is significant).
Ian
------------------

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, if you saw it on Fox, then you saw it sliced to ribbons, might be part of the problem.
What Kong means by the TV edits is that these are the original versions that were shown on JAPANESE television. On the LDs, there were a few extra scenes added. What is on the DVDs is the original form of the show
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Serial Experiments Lain is actually a very experimental anime, hence the title. :) It did not do so well in the ratings in Japan, probably because it was showcased in Japan in the early morning at 1:something A.M..
It is a great anime series, that borderlines on the psychedelic to the very deep intellectual thinking process that requires you do forego all sort of material thinking to think metaphysically (beyond the beyond).
---
Ian,
What I am saying is that Bandai only has the TV edits, what was showcased in Japan on TV. There are, however, several episodes of Escaflowne with Director's Cut that were available on the Japanese LD (and now Japanese DVD), which Bandai USA do not have rights to. These director cut's episodes are available only on the Japanese DVD.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Alright, well I just started my own anime website. Actually it's only part anime, but it's a pretty big part. Just keep in mind that it's not supposed to be a professional site and that it is basically just me dicking around. I do take pride in my reviews though, cuz they take me f'ing forever to finish. So check it out guys. I also have an Anime Glossary up for you newbies. If you like it let me know. If not, well, then just shut the hell up because I don't want to hear about it!
biggrin.gif

The link is in my sig. Thanks guys. Oh and keep in mind, that I hate the logo and that I'm going to change it as soon as I get the chance. I just put it there cuz I had to have SOMETHING to fill that spot :)
------------------
Digital Hoard

[Edited last by Joe_C on August 14, 2001 at 05:35 AM]

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Oh, and Berserk is licensed by Urban Vision, not Media Blasters, sorry for my mistake
Uh, Kong? It's licensed by Media Blasters.
Urban Vision had been negotiating for it for ages. Media Blasters wondered what was taking so long, inquired of the license owner in Japan, found that it was *not* being negotiated for, and snapped it up.
At Anime Expo, Urban Vision's panel it was said that they were still pursuing the license.
Less than an hour later at the Media Blasters panel, it was stated that the inked dried on the license 5 days earlier.
MB reps have posted about the acquisition on my forums, indicating a February release date, with 5 episodes per disc and some potentially killer cover artwork and packaging.
In other words, UV ain't got it. :)
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
So, Chris, are you telling me I was right the first time? Hmm...
Anyway, Berserk bored me to tears in the first 4 episodes. I kept yawning wondering why there was so much "homoerotic" undertone in the episodes and this ain't a shoujo anime either. Nothing wrong with "homoerotic" undertone, but it gets to the point where you're like "enough already, kiss him you fool" point of watching it, so that they story & relatioship (if you can call it that between the two main characters) can progress.
Oh well, I gotta watch the rest of it. R2 DVD Boxset is still available for purchase at certain locations (all 25 episodes!)
Ack, I hate 5 episodes per disc crap. The bitrate is going to suffer. *sigh*
---
Joe,
Ooh, a fan site! :) :) :)
Me lookey and will comment. :)
[Edited last by Kong Chang on August 14, 2001 at 12:08 PM]

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the Asian VCD's of Myazaki's films have English subs? I don't want to wait for Disney to stop dragging their buts to see his back catalog. Any help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks