What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part VI (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
YOU THAI NOW!

That was the name of the Thai restaurant Bart handed out menus for in The Simpsons! But of course, few of you know what that is since it this is an ANIME thread...;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of that episode, I can appreciate the difference between shrimps and prawns. :laugh:

Any thoughts on the Final Fantasy anime? And everybody seems to like this Last Exile business.

Eric Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I met an amazing girl last night at a LAN party I attended. She's a beautiful Thai girl that's really~ into anime/videogames/Type O blood type...
Now with another series done, and that Witch Hunter Robin and Last Exile won't be coming out any time soon, I can finally (try to) finish Hellsing.

Yes I know, WHR Vol. 2 comes out in 2 weeks, but the series won't be done anytime soon is what I mean.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Update on the woman... date on Tuesday night. Bwahah. I am leaving at 9AM on Wednesday for Key Largo, FL though (where my ever-partying semi-retired parents will be).

I am just going to make some plain-Jane mild Nong Shim ramen with some veggies and chicken (marinated in soy) mixed in. Maybe some pocky for desert with some anime afterwards. (there is nothing to do in Orlando... in Fort Lauderdale this would have been followed by a romantic walk on the beach. Maybe we can walk in the swamp? ;) ).

Nothing new on the anime front this week... hopefully Nausicaa will be waiting for me at home on Wednesday. I really need to pick up the last volume of a couple series in the coming weeks too that I will be finishing... Ai Yori Aoshi, Kare Kano, X, and Please Teacher. Ah, so many anime series ending... but they are also being replaced my new shows ;_;

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
My order from CD Japan came this morning. I got the following CDs and DVDs:

Azumi Deluxe Edition (R2)
Do As Infinity: Hiragi CD+DVD (R2)
Do As Infinity: Honjitsu wa Seiten Nari CD+DVD (R2)
Ayumi Hamasaki: &
Ayumi Hamasaki: Duty (Mmmm...Cosplay Ayumi :))
Ayumi Hamasaki: No Way To Say

With the stuff that I picked up this weekend, and tomorrow being DVD Day (TM), it's looking like the holidays came early this year :).

John.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Um, absorbed up to the 6th ep of Haibane. Seems pretty good so far. I like the slow, character-driven pacing - reminds me of Crest of the Stars - worry more about the characters and the story, not on action scenes. (Not that action isn't cool sometimes, just, my favorite anime are very much story & character driven). The fiancee watched the fansubs of the whole series, so she knows where it's going. (Take that, MPAA, she buys it anyway!)

Also got my Escaflowne movie LE back from return from rightstuf (I'd watched half of it). Watched the other half. I enjoyed the Dolby 5.1 working out my sound system for a change, and the slick visuals, and the Yoko Kanno soundtrack, but I felt the story was watered down to a romancey/generic fantasy flick. The themes of fate & destiny from the first were very sorely missed in the movie. Still a good watch for a quick fantasy movie, though, just not up to par with the series.

On an unrelated note:
I wish I was one of those rich people. I'd enlist some anime studios to make anime of about 10-15 fantasy series. I can always think of several books/series that would make good anime.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Dave:

Of course, turning a 26-episode series into a two-hour long movie, you're going to lose a lot of depth in the story. My take is that they tell the story two different ways, but really aren't comparable. Good thing you got your disk back :).

I was flipping through the booklet that came with my order, and found some R2 tidbits that might interest the list. The first disk of Princess Moon (PIBA-1440, 12/10) and Ai Yori Aoshi - Enishi (GNBA-1009, 12/21) come out next month. In addition, for those who want the uncensored version, and can speak Japanese, the Initial D Super Complete Box (AVBA-14821) comes out on 12/25. It's got 14 DVDs and 8 CDs, and will set you back a measly 81,905 Yen (~$800.00).

John.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and I forgot something: after the Akira discussion the other day (and FLCL box hunting discussion), I was hunting around for out of print stuff. I happened across the Akira Metal Case LE new (although the cardboard was a little banged up). I'm not a huge fan of Akira (or at least, I wasn't back in the day, maybe I'd like it better now). I saw the LE going for anywhere from $20-50 on Ebay. Should I pick it up while I can (I think they wanted $29.99 for it)? Or should I just pick up whatever version Media Play is selling on Black Friday for $9.99? Opinions?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I guess I get to be the voice of dissent on this one :). Even though I picked up the LE Tin the day it came out, I've always thought that the non-LE version (with Kaneda walking towards his bike) was a much cooler image, and one they should've used for the LE. That being said, you should grab that LE while you've still got the chance.

John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I think the DTS version (w/ NeoTokyo getting swallowed) is the coolest keepcase version. But the tin, both simplistic and shiny is the best ;) Plus you get the extras disc with it that you don't get with the theatrical version.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I'll think about it - as I mentioned, I didn't really find Akira to be really all that great. Of course, it was the dub dark ages, so maybe the subs make for a better story than I vaguely remember - plus, I think I enjoy more esoteric stuff than I did in years past - been enjoying some independent films, Lain, etc that are definitely non-standard. Maybe I would enjoy more now...

There's a $5 of $10 Half.com coupon floating around now for us broke people, HOHOHO. And it's not just for new customers like the normal $5 off $10. Heads-up (as I heard people mention buying off there). Too hard to find anything but bootlegs, though...trying to find something to buy that's not a boot. I haven't picked up Grave of the Fireflies, Millenium Actress, etc, because I will do a Columbia House order for them...hmmm.....and I don't have any series I'm working on now that X and BannerII are coming to a close...

Already spent $50 on a spindle of DVD-Rs this week, I shouldn't spend any more money...but this is a good frickin' coupon if I can get something that's not a bootleg!

Oh, and I noticed that animenewsnetwork reported @ 2AM... Witch Hunter Robin on Adult Swim in February....good news for poor folks like Tony-B. :) I'm too poor to pay for extended cable (besides, I never watch TV anymore). I do see Adult Swim sometimes when I visit the fiancee when she wworks her 3rds at the hotel...

Quote:
Frebruary: Witch Hunter Robin - Definitely
April: Wolf's Rain - Probably
July: Ghost in the Shell - Probably

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Dome:

Final Fantasy Unlimited = crap. It's very kiddish and quite repetitive and boring. Needed more substance. This is Gonzo's worst series to date, IMO.
---
JohnAD:

Unfortunately, I already own the previous boxsets for Initial D, so I'm not spending another $800 for the super duper boxset. Sheesh. I like my current ones already :) It's weird to see Tsukihime translated as Princess Moon because all the fans know it as Tsukihime. Good show, not as great as kimi ga nozomu eien, but my purchase is going to hagane no renkinjutsushi (aka Full Metal Alchemist).
---
I want more money for anime. I need to finish off some series. Ugh....

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Kiminozo and Fullmetal Alchemist are also instant-buy-wanna-preorder-right-now shows for me. I, unlike Ota-King Kong, must wait for a subtitled R1 release though ;)

They both reek of Bandai if you ask me (Bandai is even in the production committee of FMA).

You know a show is good when you utter the phrase "Sigh... only 44 episodes left...." :crazy: :D :crazy:

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Kong:

That was just my translation, at least the part I could read :). I figured that you probably had the Initial D R2 stuff already; I was just fishing for another R2 person on the list with too much money :D.

John.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks