What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part V (1 Viewer)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Kong:

Well, I'll keep it in mind. Since I'm up to 10(!) series being actively collected, it may be a while.

John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Kong... reeeeealy? I didn't realize it was just a flagging issue. Hmmm, I'll look into 12K when I finish a couple more series :)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
AS far as I understood, 12 Kingdoms #1 is affected by the dual-mono problem that Media Blasters was having. #2 got caught in time to be done properly. So, every disk except #1 should be OK.

And it is a good series. Fantasy is really my schtick, but not that slapstick comedy fantasy stuff. I like the serious stuff, although some humor here and there is OK if the overall tone is not a comedy. And the animation is very pretty in that new-style cel shading prettyness that most newer shows have.

The only problem I would say with the series is the intense amount of jargon (invented words). I'm used to it sometimes for fantasy books, but it's harder to keep track of vocally (you sub guys might find it easier). That, and the words are very oriental-language sounding (Englishy-invented words are easier to remember).

It's a nice touch, but sometimes it starts making the story hard to keep track of at first (especially in the wait time between disk 1 and 2). Me, the fiancee, and our friends were having a little trouble at first keeping track of the different terms for kings, their assistants, summoned beasts, shapechangers. etc. A rewatch of disc 1 helps make the words stick more (or if you have a really good short-term memory) and helps keeps the new words straight.

On the shipping from online etailers issue, I have never had any trouble with FedEx (like newegg), and only a few dented-on-the-outside objects from UPS, but USPS ground sucks. I could pay for USPS priority (never a problem, I used a lot selling on ebay) or another better shipping type, but then I lose the bargain part of the deal.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
holy shit... I had my first experience with Korean Ramen today and DAMN was it good. It was Nong Shim brand of the hot/spicy variety and it was both the best brand ramen I have had and the spiciest freaking thing I have eaten in my entire life! (but that's a good thing for me ;) )

I made a visit to a new asian market (Vietnamese-run) today and WOW, it was great. It was about 4 times larger than the place I usually frequent and had a huge variety of both non-perishable and fresh items. We are talking 3 aisles of just ramen and an 2 aisles dedicated to all kinds of soy sauce. Pocky was also the lowest I have seen it... $1.69 for the 82G box ($2.29 for the strawberry bit variety), so I grabbed a few boxes.

All in all, good stuff... I'll be going back again. Any suggestings for ramen and more advanced foods? I am pretty sure I can find them now! :) I should work on that list this weekend.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Pocky kicks ass!!!

Anywho, here are my recommendations. From a Thai perspective of course. ;)

Tiparos Brand Fish Sauce
- Let's get one thing straight: if you didn't grow up with it, it smells nasty. But it's lightyears beyond salt. It tastes that good.

Golden Mountain Soy Sauce
- Love this stuff. I use it in all of my cooking

Mama Brand Ramen Noodles
- I buy the pork flavored stuff in boxes all the time. And you know what else? I pour the seasoning packet on the uncooked noodles and eat it.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The S.O. loves Pocky, but she's allergic to chocolate (actually cocoa), so she has to stick with the strawberry, almond, etc. We pick it up on our run to Wizzywig's anime store in Ann Arbor. When she eats it, the dog recognizes it and seriously begs REALLY hard for it (much more so than usual).
When she gives him some (she shouldn't) he literally DOES snort it down in about 2 seconds (shih-tzus have little pug noses and snort sometimes)

Of course, he is a Shih-tzu (oriental breed dog), so maybe it's to be expected :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to have her :D .

Hey, Tony, wasn't it you that was talking about getting Akira? Heads-up - rumor on the Blk Friday threads (day after Thanksgiving) is that Media Play is going to have Akira for $9.99 (and Ice Age, but who wants American crap :D ).

Also rumored:
$3 off ANY DVD at $13.99 or more no limit
$2 off ANY regularly priced CD no limit (good for anime OSTs)
25% off total book purchase (good for you guys if it includes manga).

And on Friday/Saturday for us gamer geeks:
Free $10 Media play gift card with purchase of a video game $29.99 or more

Just a heads up, since Media Play is really the only store carrying anime/manga/etc.

Too bad Pocky's not on sale :D

Eric Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Rob it's quite good. You gotta take the uncooked noodles and break them into little pieces(usually by punching the hell out of the ramen while it's still in the bag), then you open one side(like a bag of chips), pour in the seasoning and mix it all together(closing the open end and shaking the bag, works the best). Also with cooked ramen try beating an egg and putting in the ramen as it cooks...yum..:D.

But anime wise, I found the FLCL BOX SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Three months I looked for this thing in every store(around me and online). Well today I was driving around and got lost. So I tried to re-orient myself, and went into the parking lot of this shopping center. I was sitting in my car, wondering where the hell I was, then I saw this GameStop. I realized that the McFarlane Matrix figures were out so I decided to go in and see if they had any. I go in, and what do I see? No figures- AT ALL. So as I'm about to leave, then the anime DVD's catch my eye. I stroll over, just to see what they have, then BAM!!! The FLCL Box was staring me in the face!! So I grab it, make the purchase and run to my car. That definately made my day and I can't stop staring at the box! It's just really cool to have all the characters in complete chaos with random guns as the cover art. So that's my day/haul- how was all yours?

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hey Rob - there's spicier, but in general, that's how Koreans like their Ramen - loaded with MSG (which is why it probably tastes so good) and spicy~

There are other types, NONG SHIM is a brand name, like KRAFT or ORE-IDA. they are generically labelled as Spicy noodle bowl...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks