What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part V (1 Viewer)

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered my next anime series!!! {which for me will be like a 6 month at a time thing :frowning:}
I got the His And Her Circumstances set. Is reading the manga vital for this show? I read that the manga ends the show. True? Also, what are peoples thoughts on HAHC? I basically went for it cause I loved Evangelion and the story sounded interesting. Don't really know much else about it {for once! Well actually, I do know about the 'cut' footage so I kinda know which way the show is going but apart from that, I don't know anything :)}

Also, what's this? An FLCL manga?!?!?
How is it anyone??? LOOOOOOVVVVEE FLCL so this may have to be my first Manga!!!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I must say, I just finished disc 5 of Berserk. Disc 6 shipped out from greencine today, I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I think that Berserk may have edged out Lodoss War for my favorite fantasy anime, and verges on bumping out CoTS out at #1 (verdict pending disc 6). I know Berserk ends kind of abruptly, so I hope the ending is OK. I watched the interview with the producer talking about "if and when" they ever finish the adaption from the manga. Here's to hoping.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I read the first 40 pages... so far the FLCL manga is EXCELLENT.

I LOVE the Kare Kano manga. Volume 5 just came out this week, actually (It has the ULTRA kawaii Tsubasa on the cover ;) ). It's the only manga that I have preordered day-in-date... this manga is pretty long, IIRC, with more than 20 volumes.

Jesse Brickzin

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up picking up Chobits Vol. 1-3 (Best Buy) and The entire Love Hina (Online) series, I couldn't make up my mind so i got both ;)...sooo i have enough to keep me busy awhile ;)

Thanks for the Manga news for love Hina, i'll be sure to check those and other Manga's out aswell...

Jesse Brickzin

Stunt Coordinator
actually i was talking about the Chobits DVDs i got at best buy, JohnAD was recomending the Love Hina Manga so iwas thanking him :)

I just watched the first disc of Chobits and i am loving it so far..

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Rob, you dumbass. He meant the ANIME, not the MANGA! Of course, you don't have the mental capacity to know that...

I think that Berserk may have edged out Lodoss War for my favorite fantasy anime, and verges on bumping out CoTS out at #1 (verdict pending disc 6).
If it beats out Crest, then I will kill you. Crest is #1, no matter what! :D

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Tony:
Rob, you dumbass. He meant the ANIME, not the MANGA! Of course, you don't have the mental capacity to know that...
hahahaha very funny.

Rob,
Are you satisfied with the current progress in O Twins? I want to know who the damn relative is... But I am sure it will be revealed in ep 10. :angry: Did you go get vol 3 of O Teacher? I am dying to see the ending even though Kong already ruined it for me... hehe

John,
You go ahead and do that... ass. I'll be picking up LH vol 14 as soon as it is released.

I must say that Japanese class is actually quite fun. It's not as hard as everyone says, but then I am actually for the first time in my career as a student studying every night heheh.

How is vol 2 of S-Cry-Ed? I still have to go buy the first one with the box, but that has to wait until my cdjapan order ships.

Mike

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If you liked the first volume of S-CRY-ED, you'll probably like the rest... the show didn't really have a major change in quality.

In ep 7 of Onegai Twins, they went back to the beach... so it's having, pretty much, the same progress as the original OT. I am really loving the new series and greatly anticipate it every week :)

I am predicting that we will know the identity of the real relative in either episode 8 or 9. Personally... I want to see Maiku and Miina get together... MYU! :)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Millenium Actress is having its US theatrical release on Sep 12th. As with Spirited Away, American studios are still clueless on how to handle Anime releases. Up to now this movie has had no promotion whatsoever.

http://www.millenniumactress-themovie.com/

Look for this one to win Best Animated Feature and quite possibly Best Foreign Film at next years' Oscars.

Since it's playing nowhere near me, I guess DVD is my only option. Comes out Oct 28th.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
studios are still clueless on how to handle Anime releases
They are not really clueless. They know that anime tanks at the box office most of the time, so they don't promote it. Besides, a wide majority of the people that see this will know about it from an anime news website or from Internet advertising. Despite what you may think, anime just isn't popular. I do agree that this is a front-runner for best animated film this year, but I have a feeling that it will lose out to Finding Nemo.

Wow, Millennium Actress is probably the shortest theater to DVD window ever. ;)

Eric F

Screenwriter
As similar as any one film is to another by the same director. Different subject matter entirely. Someone did a nice write-up of it in Rotten Tomatoes' Forum.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/forum/...hreadid=181524

As far as where it's playing- only at a handfull of theaters in big cities- NY, Boston, Chicago, LA, etc. I suppose I could see it if I went into town, but I don't know if I'll bother as I suspect it will be in an arthouse theater that hasn't updated its equipment in years.

Limited releases like this are done only for Oscar nods. Too bad. Maybe if it does well they'll re-release it next year.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Which region dvd window for Millennium Actress? The dvd is already available in R2 Japan. Got one on the way in fact.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey All:

I watched Love Hina Again today. Pretty good cap on the series. Not as compelling as the manga, and there are still at least two books in the manga series after where the anime left off, but worth the time. I would give the series (TV and OVAs) a good, solid 'B'.

I also watched All-Purpose Cultural Cat-Girl Nuku Nuku this afternoon. The picture looked great for an OVA from 1992. Definitely fun, and well worth the purchase. This one's a 'B+'.

John.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's gotten quiet again...

I picked up some new disks today: RahXephon vol. 5, Steel Angel Kurumi vol. 1, and Vandread vol. 1. I'm looking forward to next week, since GTO vol. 10 comes out, to finish the series.

John.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks