What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part II (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
is there anything different about the cowboy bebop: best sessions? or is it the same episodes that are available on the individual cd's. since i already have the perfect sessions i'm not sure this would be worthwhile?
kong - you got beserk vol 4 already?!?! ack! i'm jealous. i'm hoping my friend's brother will have this sooon!
btw - what is digital anime vs. cel-work anime? i'm assuming one is done completely with computers vs hand-drawn? but i thought all anime had some element of hand-drawing? i know some of the newer stuff used computers to "help", but i didn't realize they were *completely* done with computers? or am i missing something?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Ted, it is a compilation disc of these shows:
- Asteroid Blues
- Ballad of Fallen Angels
- Wild Horses
- Mushroom Samba
- Waltz for Venus
- Hard Luck Woman
...remixed in Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS 5.1 and English Dolby Digital 5.1. It is pretty darn cheap on Barnes and Noble's site (~$24 shipped) and comes with a limited edition slipcase that makes it look like a BETA tape if you get the first batch ;)
I already have the Perfect Sessions boxset... but I want Bebop in 5.1 :D (Plus I can always sell it later to people who will want the LE packaging for $5 more than I paid for it new ;) )
------
Oh Morgan, I got up to the "what the fuck?!" episode of Evangelion and needless to say... uh :) I am seeing myself needing to rewatch the series after I finish it.
For those interested in His and Her Circumstances... www.rightstuf.com is shipping Volume 2 right now (I hope to have it before the end of the week). I can't wait! :)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I watched City Hunter: Secret Service early yesterday morning. This is a good anime movie & IMO, it is much funnier than City Hunter: The Motion Picture. What was funny about this movie is:
Kaori hits Ryo many times with a mallet & even a big log. What really made me laugh hard was when Kaori crashes thru the window on a log & hits Ryo. The we see Ryo tied to the log & Kaori throws the log out the window & the log with Ryo tied to it is swinging back & forth outside the hotel.

I watched Wicked City over the weekend. IMO, good movie. But I wouldn't recommend showing Wicked City to kids since it has a good amount of nudity in it & it also has some graphic violence.

I watched A.D. Police late last night. I only watched the first 7 episodes but it is a good anime TV show. This show mixes police, action & mecha together. It also has, IMO, good characters.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ted:
I got my Berserk #4 via BB store. :) Really really awesome that store is! They also had the limited edition Fushigi Yuugi: Eikoden at full price, but it's worth it to get all those extras. :) I avoided buying the R2 to wait for the R1 for this OVA series.
And also, the Perfect Collection is not just an audio remix...but according to the Cowboy Bebop Japanese site before it went down, there were also some scene additions added back into the show. Not sure what was edited out...but I'm thinking it could be blood or whatever. I own the R2, which only has a DD5.1 Japanese and that's all, since the whole point is to showcase the DD5.1 Japanese remix, but it's at full capacity of 448 Kbps. Now, the thing is to have DTS5.1 and 2 DD5.1 even at full bitrate or half bitrate for DTS, the video quality on the R1 is probably gonna blow a bit. I'll probably rebuy it for the DTS 5.1 itself, but I will have to see/compare the two versions for video encoding.
Eugene:
Wait until you watch all 4 TV series of City Hunter. :) What a fun series those are!!!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
. Now, the thing is to have DTS5.1 and 2 DD5.1 even at full bitrate or half bitrate for DTS, the video quality on the R1 is probably gonna blow a bit.
I don't know about the R2 disc... but this is a 2-disc set. And with only ~ 75 minutes of video on each disc, the quality should be BETTER :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Dome, I would start by getting the Best Sessions disc that is coming out next week... it is a nice spread of episodes from throughout the entire series and will give you a good idea of whether the series is for you. If you like what you see, get the other 6 discs (Sessions 1-6) to have the entire series. :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
JamesD:

Having seen the R2, which has been digitally remastered for the R2, there's no way that the R1 can be better in any way than the R2 in video quality.

Rob:

The R2's were dual layered per disc, so there's no way Bandai can beat video quality besides adding the DTS on top of it.

StevenA

Second Unit
Saw Millennial Actress (aka Millennium Actress), the latest film from Perfect Blue director Satoshi Kon, at the AFI Fest in LA over the weekend.
This is another mind-bender, but without the "expoitation"/thriller aspects of Perfect Blue.
Visually this is a ravishing film, reminiscent of japanese painting, and is also an homage to various genres of Japanese cinema.
Very original and often hilarious, this film is quite something.
DreamWorks is distributing the film in the US theatrically early next year, in the original language with subtitles!!! (With VHS and DVD to follow, with possibly a dub produced as an extra track for the DVD). The DreamWorks rep at the screening (which was also attended by Satoshi Kon) was very excited about the film.
If only DreamWorks had the Ghibli films...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, I got to the other 'Weaving a Story' episode of Evangelion today :eek: :eek:
I really need to pick up the two movies :D :D
So, which is the proper order to watch them? Death + Rebirth than End of Evangelion... right? I should be done with the series by Thursday and I am going to pick them up.
Wow, this has been such a great series... it is right up there with Cowboy Bebop in my book as my favorite anime. :emoji_thumbsup:
My next series will probably be Trigun (round Christmastime ;) )

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Rob:
Death + Rebirth is basically a synopsis of the first 24 episodes (Death), and a preview of End of Evangelion (Rebirth). While I don't feel too badly about picking it up, I'm not sure it will be watched again any time soon. You can skip D&R, and go to End of Evangelion, once you've finished the series. EoE was definitely an improvement over the original ending. IMHO, it's not an 'A' series, but definitely a good 'B' series.
John.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Got more anime to watch! YAY! :D
1. Pretty Magical Project S 1 & 2 DVDs (26 episodes, I think)
2. Love Hina 6
3. Love Hina Christmas Special
4. Fushigi Yugi Eikoden
5. Ranma 1/2 Outta Control Box
That's a LOT of stuff....
Took a pretty chunk out of my wallet as well. Too busy playing Kingdom Hearts and Legend of Legaia to check these out... :frowning:

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Woo Jae:

Yeah, I picked up Magical Project S volume 1 last night, along with Silent Mobius volume 1. I was going to try and finish off Love Hina, but they were out of volume 5. Maybe next week. I also picked up Reign of Fire and some region 2 titles from Blackstar UK.

John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Tood:
I haven't checked out Heat Guy J yet, but it's based on the manga and it looks interesting. However, currently, I'm watching Gundam Seed, Spiral, Haibane Renmei, Ghost in the Shell TV, 12 Kokuki, Hikaru no Go, Naruto, Getbackers, and I may continue watching Piano too.
Woo/JohnAD:
Magical Project S - *laugh* - Sorry...can't help it...it was a crappy series.
BTW, has anyone seen or heard from Joe Chavez lately? He has disappeared off the face of this board. :frowning:
Where's our Joe? We need to start a new anime thread pronto b/c this one is getting way too long.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Rob:

Watch D&R and then EoE. After you start watching EoE, you'll see where the movies overlapped. I think it was done this way so D&R would be sort of a sneak peek at EoE. Also, D&R originally had some footage that was not fully animated, not colored, and overall not fully done since the second half (the Rebirth part) is the first half of EoE and was meant to be a preview. On the DVD by Manga, they changed the footage from D&R with the same footage from EoE, so it's fully animated, colored, etc. The first half of EoE is also longer than Rebirth.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Kong,
I've only watched the first ep of Heat Guy J but, so far, it's got an interesting concept. I reccomend you give it a look-see, after you've handled all your other obligations ofcourse:D .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks