What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part II (1 Viewer)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
This is the second version of our Advanced Anime series of threads (actually the third...but who's counting :)), and we will continue our discussion here. The last thread reached 34 pages and over a 1000 posts, so I think it's fair to say that a new one needed to be started.
You can locate the previous thread here:
Advanced Anime Discussion
That thread will eventually be archived, and when that happens I will put the new url there instead.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
[Pan-Dimensional door opens]
Whew! Almost got archived myself :).
[Pan-Dimensional door closes]
John.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I currently have about 7 eps (the last two discs) left in Gasaraki, and I am really stoked about what might happen in the conclusion. I don't know about you guys, but I think this show portrays, better than any other, the most realistic mech combat we are likely to see in an anime. The world is gritty and plausible, and it really adds to how much I'm enjoying this show. Although, Yushiro is kind of an underwhelming lead character, but I love the Gowa family intrigue.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Joe:

I agree - they're more like 'walking tanks' than uber-robots. I think the political ending is quite good, as well.

John.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Not for long. :)
Has anyone else seen Hellsing yet? dOc is giving away 5 copies. It sure makes for a nice (albeit dark) change of pace. The only drawback is only 3 eps on the first disc.
Also noted that Amazon.ca had the Escaflowne box on for $212CAN shipped. Hopefully they come through on that one.

It was about time for a new thread, wasn't it?
That overstock site seems too good to be true. I'm browsing their site right now looking at the pricing for some of their titles. I like the look of Hellsing and am looking forward to its release. Put that on a long list of anime I want to pick up. :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I'm here! I can't believe we have a new thread! Isn't this the offical 4th thread? Oh well...
Anyway, Hellsing is when you take Vampires meets Trigun and you have Hellsing. :) Alucard is the coolest! :) (Hint: Spell his name backwards :) ) 13 episodes of gun toting and gun slinging vampire-hunts-vampire story plot. :)
And thanks for the link to Overstock. I will check them out as well. They also have other stuff besides DVD that seems very interesting.
I just got my R1 Escaflowne movie limited edition box. This will compliment my R2 limited edition movie box. :) *giggle*
:)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Joe said:
So far John, we are OWNING the new thread
Yeah, Baby! :D
Kong:
I'm looking forward to picking up Hellsing. It will be another series that I can start collecting. Here are some of my recent new series starts:
GTO - Nearly perfect; a must buy.
Love Hina - Not bad, but somewhat different than the manga.
Betterman - Dark; Interesting character design.
Escaflowne - Finally getting around to picking this one up
Boogiepop Phantom - Makes SE: Lain look easy to comprehend. Freaky, cool.
Older ones I'm still working on:
Sorcerer Hunters - Ok.
Tenchi in Tokyo - The only R1 Tenchi DVDs that I don't completely own.
John.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Oooh, Hellsing, I can't wait for R1 releases 'cause Japanese are too expensive. I love Integra, she's the finest, best female character of all Anime! :D
How about Noir? It's a 26 episode Nikita meets Anime series and is only available in Japan but released ridiculously, 2 25 min episodes on each disc, 13 $50 volumes, you basically pay $1 a min and would need $720 or so to get the series, shipped.
I wonder if there is any other release on the horizon, I heard rumors that ADV bought it.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Lenny:
As for Noir, that is because it is released by Victor Entertainement, and Victor has never changed from their structure release of 2 episodes per volume, on VHS, on LD, or currently DVD. All of their new shows that are 26 eps are in 13 volumes, including Argent Soma, and Excel Saga and Blue Gender, etc. But I own Noir and I own Argent Soma, so I should know, but they have the coolest boxes (2 per series) ever released for these series.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
ADV has Noir, but when it is being released I'm not sure. They are also doing a great job (so I'm hearing, haven't got mine yet) on Excel Saga.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I love anime. I haven't got any since February though. I'm thinking about picking up the Jin-Roh the movie and Metropolis DVDs though. The discs I have so far are:

Princess Mononoke
Akira SE
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell
Perfect Blue
Grave of the Fireflies
Black Jack

Can you guys reccomend som anime movies to get on DVD? I only say the movies, because I'm not really into getting shows on DVD. I'd also probably only watch them once, and the sets are expensive and it'd be a waste of money, where I could have used the money towards other discs. None of my local video rental stores have much anime for rent either. It's also mixed in the other genres of movies, which sucks. Also, would you guys consider Transformers: The Movie an anime title? If so, I'll add that to my list of anime titles.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Stephen:

I would say that you have a large chunk of the good anime movies that are out. If you get the chance, pick up the Jin-Roh 3-disk version. The third disk is the CD soundtrack, which is excellent, IMHO. As for not picking up series, you're really missing out on a lot of good anime. Many of them are worth watching more than once. I'm rewatching Cowboy Beebop currently.

John.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree with JohnAD that you really are missing a lot by passing on the series, which make up the bulk of my collection. I would say, with a few exceptions, that movies are the weakest anime experiences. There is no way you can build the kind of complex relationships or situations in two hours that you can in a 13 or 26 episode series. I'd hate to see "Lain: the Movie."

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Stephen:

Or at the very least, expand your horizons to OVA's if you can't justify springing for the 6-8 disc series (although I don't think that's the right choice either). Some great two disc OVA's are Macross Plus and the Kenshin OVA's Trust & Betrayal, among plenty of others. And the entire Cowboy Bebop series can be had for a little more than $100, so there's really no excuse there.

-------------------

I just finished Gasaraki, and was very, very impressed with the show overall. The political intrigue was believable and actually interesting, and, as I mentioned in the old thread, the mech fights were about as realistically portrayed as such things could ever hope to be. All in all, probably the best series I've seen this year.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I own all of GTO R2 DVDs and I just love the ending. Of course, it doesn't match the manga, but that's a different manner. The ending made me laugh very hard though. It's sad, yet funny. Sad because it's the end of the series, and funny because...well, you have to see for yourself. :)
Due note on GTO, it contains 2 different openings, and 3 different endings, with all songs done by real bands or singers, and not "anime" songs.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I wonder how long it will take for newer shows like Chobits, Full Metal Panic, and .hack\sign to come out over here.
Bootlegs aplenty on ebay but they're terrible, subtitles are unreadable, one because of bad translation, and two, they flash for half a second or 2 mins later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks