What's new

ADS Tech HDTV Upconverter (1 Viewer)

martyTeboe

Grip
The Dec/Jan 2005 Issue of Curtco's Digital TV magazine offers a pretty good review and recommendation of the ADS Tech HDTV Upconverter.

Does anyone have real world experience with this scaler? It's only $599, and seems almost too good to be true. If this little device truly upconverts all source signals to 1080i, then it's a no brainer, right?

Anyone own one, yet?

http://www.adstech.com/products/HDUP...p?pid=HDUP1500

mt

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
i dont see it having a digital output though, does it? it doesnt look bad but there is only so much you can do to a signal, a crappy cable signal at 480i isnt really going to be made in to a hd 1080i signal, they can upconvert it and everything but it still is not really hd, i have the same dvd player as you and i see no need to upconvert that, or my hd channels obviously, i have wanted to try something like this for other stuff but that would be pretty much just satelite channels,and that would go through my digital out on my box anyway,

i would be interested to hear from someone who has one of these though

martyTeboe

Grip

Right. You can't *really* improve upon the source, can you?

The "D.I.S.T." scaler built in to my plasma does not do a good job with either my analog channels, or my digital channels.

The HD channels from my provider look spectacular...to me, anyways. Anything else...not so great. Almost anything other than my HD and DVD sources looks lousy.

As an example, right now my cable provider sends older SD broadcasted material upconverted to HD...like Seinfeld reruns, and they look good. I don't get the false contouring, and the picture is just about as good as a 480p source, like the 2200 gives, depending upon the content, of course. If this new "upconverter" unit will make my non-HD channels look better, it's well worth the price.

mt

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator

martyTeboe

Grip

Jeez...$199 after rebate!? Sounds WAY too good to be true. I suppose I'd be fooling myself to think that I'd get true HD, or even anything close to it, but it appears as though this thing may be worth investigating, don't you think?

Great stuff, Jeremy. Thanks!

mt

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It's true that you can't make the source better... BUT almost every HD display out there is going to scale an SD image (fixed pixel displays will scan to their native resolution, CRT sets will scale usually to 480p, 540p, or 1080i). Most sets have pretty poor scalers, so introducing a quality scaler will improve on PQ more times than not.

Whether this one is a good one or not I have no idea, my guess is it would be atleast marginaly better than most RPTV or plasma built in scalers (except the upper end stuff like Pio Elite and the crazy expensive Mitsubishi stuff).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Stephen's got it right. If you're unsatisfied with your current de-interlacer or get poor 3:2 pulldown performance then go for it. If anything it also sharpens standard NTSC material, which is what we've been using expensive HTPCs to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.