What's new

Adire Extemis 6 Specs / Designs (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I ordered 4 of the drivers. I'm not sure if I'm going to make a pair or MTM's or MMT's or MT's (with 2 spare drivers).

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I'd prefer to use something like the Seas Excel, which could cross closer to 2kHz and give you more options when working that 5dB rise at 1.5kHz.

Yousaf

Second Unit
How would maybe two of these work in a computer-style multimedia subwoofer setup? With 200 or so watts in a compact box, could you get reasonable output down into the mid to high 20s?

Seth_L

Screenwriter

While they certainly would make for an interesting mini sonotube subs (or similar), a Shiva is probably a better way to add some ooomph to your PC.

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Where is the pre-order sign up sheet?

I am quite interested im making a new set of fronts ... since my roommate blew up my tweeters last weekend and I really didn't like my speakers that much anyway (first speakers I ever 100% designed), so I think it is time for a new set of mains

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, what's the cone material for the Extremis? Also has there been any progress on the reference design(s)?

[tweeter_nag]I have been looking at the BG neo3-pdr (as a kind of lower end fun alternative, you know the PE catalog is by the can), I know you have probably looked at it, and it has some issues I'm sure, including (these are educated guesses, haven't heard it)

1. probably more than ideal unit-to-unit variance, maybe not too bad on these compared to the cheaper planars.
2. power handling on this compared to the reg. neo3 due to the 3db hit from the improved dispertion. we've got 20wrms at 90db here if the rear chamber is used. don't think this is in the extremis league :) this of course would be the real killer of this idea. it looks to me alot, and i mean alot, like the tweets in the new martin logan voyage, also the neo6 appears to be the mid in the voyage, maybe to get acceptable PH...

but on the plus side...

1. the cool factor, i know this is stupid but they look like fun, and no grill needed on tweet.
2. could use the tweet without chamber on the surrounds and get a bipole hf section. don't understand the implications of integrating it in this configuration, but it could be interesting sounding.[/tweeter_nag]

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
From the website:

I cant wait to get my hands on these. I hope I can afford to build them too!:D And not to sound impatient, but any progress on the designs Mr Wiggins? I know things have been busy lately.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Well...

I have my active crossover and 4 channel amplifier. My 4 Extremis drivers are on preorder. I still need to order some tweeters (probably Hiquphon OW-IIs) and ports.

I'm thinking of going with a 3" flared port since a 2" port just seems too small.

What I'm not sure about is front vs. rear porting... Any tips?

Seth_L

Screenwriter

Isn't rear better for dealing with the phase shift from the port, or is that negligible?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Seth, the phase is not an issue, it's mainly just a choice of room interaction and aesthetics. If the port is in front, it will probably be affected less by boundary gain (since the front is farther from the wall behind the speaker). I would suggest making the alignment a little overdamped if you put the port in the rear, just so it doesn't get too boomy near the wall. Adire recommends overdamped alignments for everything anyway. :)

A 3" flared port is fine, the only problem is the length; check the simulation to see if it will fit in your intended box shape. I recall using a 3" port to tune a tower of 41 liters to 33Hz and it was about as long as we could possibly use without a pipe elbow.

Seth_L

Screenwriter

Given a 42L box tuned to 33Hz, Unibox says a 3" port should be 23.97cm which is 9.43". That shouldn't be too hard to put in the box.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Robert,

Build date is Tuesday, December 7th. They will ship shortly thereafter.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks