What's new

Adire Extemis 6 Specs / Designs (1 Viewer)

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Funny, I keep looking at the Morels, and at the same time thinking of a slim tower with a tweeter pod on top, then looking at the mdt-41. They have some sexy things that might put them in good company with the extremis...

Neo magnets / inherently shielded
Hexatech coils
good off-axis response
vented chamber
designed for pod-mounting (have to make sexy wood pod)
laid back slope to upper end - probably very easy going
well behaved
price is right. want to spend more, get the mdt-43 with
double neo mag

so this is starting to get me going. i was thinking of a tower just wide enough for the woofer, say 7", with the driver surface mounted on a slightly sloped baffle, set back from the main lower baffle with a deep grille, and the pod on top. They could be 36" tall at the peak, 8" or so deep, yielding the magic 21 liters give or take. The center could be a little shorter to fit under the FP screen. Is this too pipe-like? Should it be a TL? Would someone who knows what they're talking about comment on the pipe/TL thing? I mean it shouldn't be too complicated, it's not like we need two woofers and two TL :)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i love it except for the the sensitivity, still think the AV8s have got it over the 6s even thou they can't handle the low-end, but who here isn't using a sub to go with a pair of monitors.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Dan,

BL curve is now posted. It's pretty good, IMHO.

Allen,

It's actually about as sensitive as the ScanSpeak 8545. In fact, it was targeted at that driver, in terms of box response. Drop an Extremis 6 in a cabinet designed for the 8545 and you'll get just about exactly the same low end response. The 8545 is actually 87 dB efficient; we're actually around 86.5 dB, well within manufacturing tolerances.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
even if it compares to other drivers, the sensitivity is really hurting on it, but I love how it is able to cross so high.

just my two cents

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Anyone planning on running an active crossover and bi-amping these?

I'm tossing the idea around myself, but I'm not sure how to do it at reasonable cost. I'm thinking to use a Behringer ULTRADRIVE PRO DCX2496 as the crossover (feeding it via SPDIF). I would then have 4 analog outputs (one for each driver) from the Behringer, but then I need something with 4 powered channels and a volume control.

Any ideas?

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Allen,

If you wanted more efficiency, you'd have to go with larger boxes or lose bass extension. We shot for the 85% of the market that has 50+W per channel, and as such an efficiency in the 86-87 dB range is acceptable.

Dan,

Ummm, yeah I think we'll have to think about that...;)

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Even if the ScanSpeak has an extra .5db in sensitivity is it worth the extra cash? The Extremis will be under $100 post pre-order, IIRC.

How much does a SS 8545 cost?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Does the Extremis 6 have better dynamics than the AV8? I mean, I know it has much lower distortion and somewhat more output capability, but it is smaller and has lower sensitivity. Would an MTM with these midwoofers have the same big weighty sound as the Kit281s?

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

I think the only thing you would gain was ability to cross it over higher which would result in a nicer MTM.

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
How would you compare the detail of the Extremis compared to a SS8545 which I find warmer sounding with less detail than a Seas Excel W18 which can also sound analytical.

It would be amazing if the Extremis approaches the level of detail of a 8545.

Al

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
The Hiquphon does look really good. If you're going to do something, might as well do it right.... Pairing the Extremis with a top-notch tweeter will result in a no-compromise mini-monitor that runs with the big dogs. The full range idea sounds good, and it occured to me that this will help minimize the need for bass management gear with multi-channel audio.

How about a ribbon tweeter like the Aurum Cantus? The G2 and G2si look pretty good, and it would probably complement the Extremis. I have a soft spot for ribbons ever since hearing a friend's Heils, which even with one blown ribbon sounded amazing. The G2si is the "attractively" priced model at around $90. It has a dip around 11khz but otherwise looks good.

The G2 is better in that respect but is $100 more. The G2 comes in rectangular and round, the round having the same dimensions as the G2si. I'm interested in doing a 6 channel system and I was thinking the financial damage could be mitigated by using the G2 across the front or for the LR pair and the G2si in the other cabs. The faceplate is CNC'd aluminum and they look great cosmetically. Also the screen makes a grill for the tweeter unnecessary

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Not a big fan of existing ribbons. Played with a LOT of ribbons over the last year, and never got one to what I liked. They are the "in" thing right now, but IMHO there's too many problems with them (they are incredibly fragile, limited dispersion, typically quite bad on the spectral contamination measurement, and not even close to as flat as claimed). This is for all ribbons I've looked at, which is pretty much every one on the market for under $200 a unit. IMHO, good quality domes simply trounce existing ribbon designs.

However, I figure there will be other people releasing designs around the Extremis 6, and perhaps one of them will pair it with a ribbon for the ribbon fans out there...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

I was hoping you would say that Dan. :emoji_thumbsup: Being a poor student (and it seems there are many of us around here) I would LOVE to see a design using something like the Peerless you mentioned or Seas, Vifa etc and then a pedal to the metal high performance monitor design that I could look forward to building later on.

DanWiggins

Second Unit

Yep. I think it sounds better. Measures flatter, too... Better match for speakers in the 85-90 dB sensitivity range, especially when crossing over below 3 kHz.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks