What's new

Adding HTPC to home theater (1 Viewer)

Eagleclaww

Auditioning
Real Name
Anon
How do you add an HTPC to a home theater setup?

The soundcard would have 7.1 surround sound capability in the HTPC, but I'd already have a nice receiver that not only does 7.1 surround sound, but is more than capable of driving said speakers.

-I don't actually plan on getting more than 5.1 surround sound, but most eveything supports 7.1 surround sound.

[Edit: I've decided to get a book on Home Theaters. (Actually, probably the Home Theaters for Dummies.) Don't laugh, those Dummies books are actually pretty good for learning the basics of a topic. I don't plan on installing my home theater myself, but I need to be able to talk to the salesman like I know something about what I want, and be able to add stuff later to my setup.

-I plan on having the TV mounted on my wall and the surround sound speakers installed by a professional. I don't want to be paying extra to hook up the other components that I can easily do by myself.]

noob5684

Agent
Real Name
Colin B.
Get a good video card. Like a ATi Xfx hd5870 like me with hdmi output to transfer hd video and sound through the hdmi plug.. I do believe hdmi transmits tru digital sound, or you can get a sound card that tansmits 7.1 whatever your prefer. I can get up to 7.2 on my video card. the only inconveince i have is when my friends want to play homefront call of duty i have to switch from hdmi to sound blaster card. to use my headset.. which i will mess with today.. I love my computer I dont call it a htpc. because i did not build it for that reason.. I will be building a htpc as soon as i get back to work..

My specs.

antec skeleton case.

asus rampage formula motherboard.

8 gigs 1066 gskill ram

q6600 overclocked to 3.2

4- external terabyte hard drives from western digitial for blu-rays/dvds/music

1- 500gig western digitial with Win7 ultimate 64bit

1-600 gig western digitial for backups and games

XFX ati hd5870 xxx edition.

Xtremegamer soundblaster sound card.

asus eee wireless keboard and mouse slim gloss black

zenith 42" 720p plasma.. waiting for my projector.. sooner or later.

yamaha rx-v567 av receiver.

polk monitor r300 did not do my research before i bought them will be for sale soon..

cs20 center channel.

polk psw10 useless.

polk monitors 30's bookshelfs

Dont laugh at me for my speaker setup.. Im learning I rushed buying my speakers..

good luck!!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Anon

When configured with the proper video and sound card you PC will be connected to your receiver with an HDMI cable in the same manner you would connect any other HDMI device like a blue ray player or Cable box. This will pass both audio and video to the receiver and you will connect your TV to the receiver with an HDMI cable. Keep in mind your receiver is the hub of your system, where all of your equipment is connected together.

Why are you shy about DYI your installation. With the right mount hanging a TV is a snap and many come with an installation DVD. All you have to do is find your wall studs, level your mounting bracket and screw it to your studs with provided hardware. Screw the brackets to the back of your set and hang the sucker on the wall. If you do it right you will have two cables to contend with. 120v AC power cord and a HDMI Cable.

Use this guide to help you place your speakers http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

The challenge will be hiding your speaker wire especially those for your surround speakers.

Eagleclaww

Auditioning
Real Name
Anon
On DYI: The house is owned by the family. (I live here with my mom, who I take care of.) Its easier to get thier blessing by getting a contractor than getting anyone to agree to let me do any DYI that affects a wall or floor. (There are some things I can do, but clearly, any drilling or making holes in a wall/floor/ceiling/roof/foundation isn't one of them.) LOL

You think politics is bad in your familiy... [/url]

Welcome Anon

When configured with the proper video and sound card you PC will be connected to your receiver with an HDMI cable in the same manner you would connect any other HDMI device like a blue ray player or Cable box. This will pass both audio and video to the receiver and you will connect your TV to the receiver with an HDMI cable. Keep in mind your receiver is the hub of your system, where all of your equipment is connected together.

Why are you shy about DYI your installation. With the right mount hanging a TV is a snap and many come with an installation DVD. All you have to do is find your wall studs, level your mounting bracket and screw it to your studs with provided hardware. Screw the brackets to the back of your set and hang the sucker on the wall. If you do it right you will have two cables to contend with. 120v AC power cord and a HDMI Cable.

Use this guide to help you place your speakers http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

The challenge will be hiding your speaker wire especially those for your surround speakers.
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks