Adding a Phone Jack

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Johnny Angell, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Just how hard is it, for a kluzt like me? One thing in my favor, the spot on the inside wall is right very close to where the external phone box on the outside wall is.

What's involved in doing this? I want to do this so I can install vonage. With vonage, if I hook up there box to a phone jack then all the other phone jacks in the house have access to the vonage service.

That would be handy since I don't want to have my base wireless phone next to the computer and my directivo wants to make some calls too.

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

3. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

You're trying to wire Vonage throughout your house? Be careful in doing so. You don't want to fry your adapater or your home line. I've been skeptical about doing this with my SuNRocket b/c I feel it works great without it. Let us know how it goes though if you get it to work.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    A friend of mine (in another city) has just gotten vonage and told me that if you have phone jack next to your vonage box all you have to do is two things: 1) Unhook the input lines into your exterior phone hookup; and 2) Use a standard phone jack line and connect the vonnage box to the phone jack.

I just found this info on the vonnage site: So it seems that what I was proposing is not a vonnage approved practice.

Matt, thanks for the link about phone wiring.

5. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

Are you still planing on trying the home wiring? I've found that simply having a couple cordless phones with SunRocket keeps me from really needing the full house wiring.

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I haven't decided yet. It turns out there's a possibility we might move. The reason I wanted all my jacks active is that we have a tivo that likes to make phone calls on a land line.

7. Jeff Pug

Jeff Pug Stunt Coordinator

" A friend of mine (in another city) has just gotten vonage and told me that if you have phone jack next to your vonage box all you have to do is two things: 1) Unhook the input lines into your exterior phone hookup; and 2) Use a standard phone jack line and connect the vonnage box to the phone jack."

this is exactly what I did with my sunrocket. works great.

there is a connector in your phone box. I pulled it out and then i tied the wiring that goes into the house together and all my jacks work.

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    This is confusing me a little. I'm under the impression that all you have to do is disconnect the input connector (input from the phone company), than hook the vonage (or sunrocket) box up to an existing phone jack and all the jacks in the house are no live on vonage.

What do you mean by tieing the wiring together?

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I'm on SunRocket and I found instructions on how to do this on the Vonage help site. I disconnected the 2 wires attached to the "consumer side" of the phone box. These were the only 2 wires present there. I wrapped them separately with electrical tape. I then plugged in my Gizmo into a phone wall jack and everything works great now. My Dish 942 was slow to catch on but it did after a few hours. All my Dish receivers r displaying Caller ID so I knew things were like they used to be. I use my existing 3 handset phone system as well as the free Uniden SR sent me. Only thing I haven't tried is the fax machine.

10. Jeff Pug

Jeff Pug Stunt Coordinator

what eric said that is what I meant