What's new

Adding 2 rear speakers to Denon AV#-391? Needs power amp, What kind? matching speakers? (1 Viewer)

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Hi there! I'm looking for advice for my home theatre system. I've got Denon AVR-391 5.1 receiver with the denon sys-391-ht speaker system pack. The sound is quite good for my apt, however I'm looking for just a little something extra. The receiver comes with 2 extra jacks for surround rear speakers ( I thought my speakers were already the rear speakers, I understand they're actually side speakers ). In any case reading the manual it's not as simple as hooking up 2 bookshelf speakers, I apparently need a power amp to run between the speakers and the receiver. I was looking at power amps, and they seem to be 1000 + + + +, that's not going to work. Any suggestions? In addtion, do the two additional speakers need to have the same ohm's as the rest? the front and side are at 6 ohms, and the sub who knows, The amp doles out 110 watts per speaker for the ones it drives, so my amp needs to be what? I don't want to spend 1000 dollars to add two speakers to a mid range system. Help!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You can get inexpensive mono amps and hook one to each channel. Your best bet might be to find a used stereo amp with pre-outs and use it. I don't know how well they sound. However, when you say you want something extra, what do you mean? If the something extra is for movies, then rear speakers won't help much, they get very little action, and it's all effects. So you won't get much added volume, and very little wow factor for the money. If you're after volume for music in all-channel-stereo, then this might work. Various speakers in any system do not have to have the same ohm rating. However, f any of the speakers go down to 4 ohms, then you have to have a compatible receiver. Anything driven by a separate amp affects only that amp - so the resistance of a powered sub, and in your case the rear speakers, only has to be compatible with their amp. (And since most subs come with their own amp, you never have to worry about subs.)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Check ebay for a small stereo amp from Carver or Parasound. The Parasound Zamp would be ideal and around $100 I think. Audio Source is also a brand to look for. Also, consider putting the money into better front speakers perhaps.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Thanks for the input from both responses guys.. I saw this for sale, would it be sufficient or what I'm looking for? : http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_images.php?cat=Amplifiers&catnick=amplifiers&cfid=648959843&image_id=2792228

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yes, that amp will work just fine. I still think you're overdoing it (Denon doesn't provide detailed specs for the 391, but I'm pretty sure your rears will be generating more power than your mains); but what the heck it's $80 and you'll have a decent spare amp. And who says you shouldn't overspend in this hobby.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Looking at the back of the receiver on Amazon.com I see the connections for the surround back L&R speakers are "Pre-Outs". So, powered speakers should work too, instead of using an external amp. You may find a better deal on them, or maybe not. May be hard to find smaller powered speakers. I've never looked for any, so I don't really know. Just thought I'd throw this option out there, in case you run across some. Good luck! EDIT: Found these at Amazon. They have some refurbished for $109.99. Just a thought............... http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Powered-Speakers-Previous/dp/B000MUXJCO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks