What's new

Addicted to Evercrack/Camecrack (1 Viewer)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hey I wanted to make a thread where those of you who are addicted to these game could discuss and console youselves :D
Top this: My roomate just moved from Evercrack to Dark Age of Camelot (aka Camecrack). He gets up in the morning (if you can call noon the morning) and plays this game until he goes to bed at around 3 or 4am. THATS ALL HE DOES ALL DAY EVERY DAY. He no longer attends his classes except once in a while. He'll go on an exam day, but thats about it. I cant imagine putting this kind of time into a video game. I remember back when I was addicted to CivII and I would play for 5 or 6 hours at a time. Man, I have nothing on my roomate!
I seriously think his muscles are atrophying from sitting in his computer chair all day everyday!
So, are any of you this addicted?
-Marshall

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I don't think massively multiplayer RPGs are really games. It's like The Sims...only with real time chatting.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I play Dark Age of Camelot. In fact I run a guild of 30+ in the game. Of course I also have a real life that needs tending so I dont spend a ridiculous amount of time in the game. Usually on average of 5-8 hours a week. If I'm feeling frisky I might ramp that up some.
Part of the reason I enjoy playing is the community and the true ability to roleplay. I'm an old school D&D head and love to roleplay. I detest people in Everquest or DAOC that run around saying "dude, did you watch the game the other day?"..UGH. When I play I'm in character at all times and it allows me to create a character that is enjoyable to present to others for interaction. I've made allot friends in game that I party and group with for hunting sessions.
The skill based system in DAOC gives you good incentive to level and the PVP setup they have in the game is quite enjoyable (Balancing issues aside). You'll also find many players and guilds who just enjoy creating stories in game to play out. It can be pretty in depth.
I don't think massively multiplayer RPGs are really games.
I don't agree with that one bit. It is very much a game. Most of these games still adhere to level based and skill based cliches of most single player RPG's. DAOC for instance has a quest system for you to accomplish tasks for better items. (much in the way of Diablo). There just happens to be a chat client and other players around while you do it.
In some of the events on the servers players will assume the roles of NPC's and we can create our own quests. I know of a guild that setup shop in a building and turned it into a roleplay pub.
I used to hate MMORPG's. EQ left a very bad taste in my mouth since I couldn't stand the camping (waiting 8 hours for one monster to spawn) and the ridiculous amount of time you had to put into the game. I also really don't like paying for a game per month. DAOC won me over and changed my outlook on allot of these things (though I still dont like paying per month but I like the game enough to do so).
I think if played correctly (meaning rolplaying all the time) these games can come the closest to tabletop D&D as possible. You can truly roleplay! But real life is still there ladies and gentleman. I have a friend who played DAOC for 16 hours straight. I just shook my head at that. No offense to anyone but I find that utterly ridiculous. *need to step away from the computer*
I'll leave you with that...
PS: If anyone is interested in seeing my guilds site please go to Link Removed . We recently redesigned things and I don't mind showing off some of the reasons why I play!:). My in game character name is Thalagar Cromfell.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I don't agree with that one bit. It is very much a game. Most of these games still adhere to level based and skill based cliches of most single player RPG's
True but their real draw is the social aspect. I just don't think an overblown IRQ client with 3D graphics and RPG elements is a game...any more than I think this forum is a game. I enjoy it but it's not a game.
Of course I'm biased as I don't think many games in the RPG genre are really games either. Interactive stories perhaps, but not my conception of a "game".

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Of course I'm biased as I don't think many games in the RPG genre are really games either. Interactive stories perhaps, but not my conception of a "game".
Consider me biased also since RPG's are by far my favortie genre. I would much prefer playing a good solid single player RPG (ala Baldurs Gate or Planescape) but I can enjoy a good MMORPG with the right set of players.
You are correct though that the social aspect is the most alluring factor of these games but to compare something like DAOC to this forum is a great disservice to the people who take the time and effort to create a balanced and genuinely fun game to play. ( balancing 20+ classes with myriads of skills is no small undertaking) Along with those 3d graphics you mentioned.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.;)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Count me as another DAoC addict. I've been playing it since it came out and have 5 different characters on 3 different servers. I haven't been playing it as much lately though because I've been playing Dungeon Siege.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I don't think my wife would stay with me long if I decided to try a new MMORPG after my EQ addiction. The fact that you can't pause or just turn the game off is the biggest problem that will keep me from playing one again any time soon. "Wife_001 scowls at you...What do you want your divorce papers to say?" ;)
Dean

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
I played EverQuest for quite some time. I had a 46th level Dark Elf Cleric. Had to drop it because it was getting very boring and time consuming (high level clerics don't do much... Sit, stand, heal, sit, ...). I am though anxiously waiting for Shadowbane to come out, sadly it recently went from "release date first half of 2002" to the very ambiguous "when it's ready" :frowning:

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm doing you one better. I got rid of my wife.
It would be cheaper and easier to dump the fiance than the computer I guess, I mean come on MMPORPG set in the Star Wars universe with Space Combat.....I spent one whole summer just playing X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter Multiplayer...that was some sweet stuff...I can't wait to experience that again.

BTW - anyone else looking forward to Battlefield 194x, looks like it could be a winner and its being developed by the same guys who did Rallisport Challenge. I tried to play WWII Online, but it was just way to buggy and felt very very clunky.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Romier,

Those are good points, I'm not sure if my roomate plays "in character" or not. It just amazes me that a person can devote all their wakeing time on a game. I've played some great games and I could never do that. I think my roomate is the first true hardcore gamer I've met.

As an update he's been splitting his time lately between Camecrack and Dungeon Siege. I think he may have spent almost half of his time on DS in the last couple days. I've not seen him cut his playing down (with Camecrack that is) this much in weeks.

-Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks