What's new

ADC-SSMK-III-IC Parameteric, Help Wayne? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Any that may have first hand experience with this model!
ADC selling thousands of EQs for years, this company made many pieces. For joe six-pack, thier lower end lines, probley serviced them well. I've had a few of thier lower midend units, and for intry level systems they worked well. These where stadard straight 12 band per channel units. ADC-SS Eleven, bieng one that sounded quite good with very low nosie foor.
Dose any one have experience useing this much higher end ADC parametric unit. Being the company is now defunk, info on this model is at best very hard to locate. ~{Like none}~ How is the control with this unit, and the biggest concern is it's quiteness while in line. Given what I can buy this thing for in excellent condition, $59.00, looking to put in line in the bedroom system, my criteria is a bit softer with this system.
So might some of you (where are you Wayne the EQ guru) have some input on this model!
Thanks for anything that may be provide!!
Geoff

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Geoff,

I used to have a BSR EQ in my stereo system years ago (made by the same company). I was always happy with it as a “sophisticated tone control.” It was very clean. Actually, I briefly used a $350 pro-model electronic crossover in my system, until I noticed that it was audibly colored. I found it pretty amazing that this crossover could not pass a clean signal, while my $99 BSR could!

But I digress. You describe the SS-Eleven as “parametric.” I think it’s really a “quasi-parametric,” isn’t it? You can vary the slider’s center frequency, but the bandwidth is fixed.

It would be nice if you had noted the intended use. If this is for a two-channel system, of course, it will work fine. However, for HT use, it might be a problem. If you want to EQ all channels, you would have to have at least three of them, and be able to connect them across the receiver’s pre-out and main-in jacks (and you would have to have in and out jacks for all channels.)

However, even then it might not work well. The problem is that these EQs were designed to be connected to a tape monitor loop, which has a fixed signal level. Therefore they did not have, or need, much headroom. Connected between the pre-amp and amp, the high signal levels of DVDs (especially action flicks) can easily overload the EQ’s inputs, and you will have audible distortion. However, since lower volume levels would likely be used in the bedroom, you might get away with it there. Maybe.

Or, is this to be used for a sub-EQ? If so, the paragraph above applies. However, in this case you could probably pull it off by running the receiver’s sub output low and the sub’s gain control high.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Wyane,
I may have explained it poorly, sorry. The ADC-SS-Eleven is a straight 12 band that is not freq band width variable! These I have used and where pretty quiet.
The Parametric I speak of is the {~Model stated}~ in the ~{Started Thread Header}~. This is variable band width, 12 channel per side....
Im looking to run it two channel in the bedroom threw a tape loop doing 2-channel, and out of line during 5.1 DD! Though Im relatively pleased with the 2 channel sound at present, this EQ has come my way. I was curiouse if you had any first hand experience with it as I am a newbie to the pari department.
The model is the,
ADC-MK-III-IC Parametric
I do not have the unit in front of me, so what it might be capable of is unknown as it's 5 States away! With no owners manual :frowning:, but he dose have the orginal box, packageing, and warrenty card. But this certainly dosnt help me with what I would like to know. Noise floor and it's EQing abiltys.
I guess if I where to pick it up and it was not what I want or thought it was :thumbsdown:, (the price is right) I could always give it to my Nephew. He loves me, usually gets my older stuff, he's 15 and loves HT & stereo equipment.
Thanks Geoff

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Geoff,

I don’t have any experience with this particular EQ, but I’m confident it will work fine. Since you’ve had success with the company’s lower line models (as have I), there is no reason to believe you will be disappointed with this upper-line model (assuming its in good working order).

The manual is no big deal, really. The SSMK-III should be easy to operate. Actually I think I may have seen these before. It has the usual sliders for boost and cut, but there is a knob below each slider to change the slider’s center frequency. This is a very cool and useful feature, even if it isn’t as flexible as a true parametric. For only $60, you’d be crazy to pass on it!

If you have trouble figuring out how to use it, let me know.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Wayne, yes you described it very close to what/how it works... Not haveing nearly the knowledge you do with EQ's, your opinion is something I listened to.
Thanks, and yes I will be picking it up. Not haveing the full control of a true full blown pari, it's ability to move centers to a limited degree would still be quite usefull. If anything, another piece my nephew would certainly enjoy. But something tells me it might stay with me awhile.
Money currently is being saved for a speaker upgrade in the main room. Swan Divas, mm mm pretty and sound to back the looks up. If all goes well might be prior to X-mas.
Again thanks for your input,
Geoff
Oh, last night my brother called.. His brand new, just turned 30 day old Philips HD Big screen went black, followed by loss of sound. Unbeliveable...! Needless to say, he's very pissed. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks